Final drive spline lubrication

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
aznyaz
Motorcycle: 1981 GL1100I

Final drive spline lubrication

Postby aznyaz » Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:53 pm

I recently put a new rear tire on my GL and relubed my final drive. I've put a few hundred miles on since putting it back together and noticed that some of the grease (Moly 60) has been flung out and landed on the rim. Is it possible that I over lubed the splines and the excess just worked its way out, or could this be a deeper problem?

HawkeyeGL1200
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Interstate
1981 GL1100 Interstate

Re: Final drive spline lubrication

Postby HawkeyeGL1200 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:10 am

If I recall correctly, there is a thin oring that should be installed between the final drive flange and the final drive. If yours is missing or if it was cut when you installed the final drive unit into the flange, it could explain why the lubricant is being flung out onto the wheel. You would have had to really put an excess amount of Honda Lube 60 on the splines in order for the moly grease to be pushed past an oring (enough so that installation of the final drive onto the flange would have been very difficult) in my opinion, for the grease to work its way past the oring.

In the Honda Parts Manual, it is item #16 on the drawing of the final drive.

This is the part number and description: 91316-PT6-003 "O-RING" (62.4mm X 3.1mm).

One other thing to consider; Are you sure it isn't final drive "gear lube" leaking out of the overflow (vent) hole in the top of the final drive, dripping onto the lower part of the wheel and being flung onto the wheel? Even a slightly over-full final drive will cause gear lube to "leak" out of the vent hole, and drip down onto the final drive unit. Bits of rubber and road debris will make the gear lube appear black on the wheel. I know this, because it has happened to me.
I am wrong as often as I am right concerning what is wrong with someone else' motorcycle without having seen the machine in person. Guessing with limited information, as to the source of the trouble, is sketchy at best.

aznyaz

Postby aznyaz » Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:56 pm

My situation is different from what you describe. The grease is seeping through the gap between the final drive and the wheel assembly, not the area where the final drive attaches to the drive shaft flange. I see the O ring there, but there is no O ring or seal of any kind shown in the parts manual that seals the final drive to the wheel. What I'm thinking is that I over greased the splines of the final drive to the wheel and when I put the drive back on the wheel it squeezed the excess grease into the void between the drive and wheel which then got flung around to the opening between the 2 parts. I know for sure it's not the final drive oil that spilled out. I kept the drive upright so nothing would leak out of the vent.

Still looking for opinions on this.

MJ

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:36 pm

I'm going to side with you, I suspect this is exactly what is happening. Although it's possible to have gear oil come out the final drive vent if the final drive is overfilled (i.e. it is filled when on the side stand). Clean the muck off and see if it comes back. If the gear oil level remains constant, and the grease goes away, you're fine.

aznyaz

Postby aznyaz » Sat Jul 19, 2014 7:35 am

I'm certain that the gear oil was filled properly because it was on the center stand when I did it a few tire changes ago and it obviously didn't go past the bottom of the fill hole. Just good to know that it was just a matter of putting too much Moly in the final drive splines. I'll be less liberal when applying next time.

Thanks.

MJ

WalterM817
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 I

Postby WalterM817 » Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:10 pm

I used another brand of the moly lube for my final drive and the first time I had it out and got up to 65 or so it slung all over the right side and rear wheel. Thought it was going to be a real problem. Tried the actual Honda Moly 60 on it and the problem went completely away. This may not be your problem but it fixed my bike right up.

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”