Electrical problem??

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
rictamch
Motorcycle: 1982 Honda Goldwing 1100i Interstate

Electrical problem??

Postby rictamch » Sat Jul 19, 2014 7:21 pm

1982 Goldwing Interstate. 90350 miles. Neutral wire fried - had wires replaced, turn signal relay replaced. Drove about 30 miles with no problems. Bike started sputtering on highway - the + post on battery was loose inside battery. Next morning, replaced with new battery. Bike ran great for about 20 miles on back roads and highway. Stopped bike for about 20 minutes, when I it turned on, was sputtering like it did night before. Rear suspension light on, but pressure is good. Headlight and brake light on. Gauges are lit. Turn signals flash once, then stop. Battery showing 12.7 volts when idling. Bike will not rev over 1500, have to keep in first gear to run and will only go about 10mph. Runs very rough. Sometimes when I try to turn on, no power at all. Few minutes later, bike will turn on but sputter.
Wiring looks fine. Starter solenoid replaced about a month ago.
Thanks for any help out there!

bustedwing
Motorcycle: 1990 Gold wing Trike

Re: Electrical problem??

Postby bustedwing » Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:40 pm

First, start with the basics. You said you replaced the battery, but is it charged up when you start? If not sure, then using a trickle charger let it charge up at least over night. Then attempt to start the engine. If it runs ok then check the charging system and you should get from 13.7 to 14.5 at 900 to 1000 rpm. Once you get that figured out, then you can progress to the other problems. But make sure you have good clean contacts on both ends of your battery cables. The way your lights are acting is a :mrgreen: lot like a bad ground connection, but with a low charge a lot of different things can happen. So get that far and let us know what happened.
Proud member Patriot Guard

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:56 am

I agree, when you have a lot of seemingly unrelated electrical problems all at once, it's usually a grounding problem. Check the negative wire on the battery, and follow it to make sure the other end of it is secure as well.

Also check the condition of the 30 amp master "dogbone" fuse - actually remove it and look at it, don't just trust that it's OK because it looks OK when screwed in place. Mine looked fine too, but when I removed it, it crumbled to dust in my fingers.

rictamch
Motorcycle: 1982 Honda Goldwing 1100i Interstate

Postby rictamch » Sun Jul 20, 2014 8:42 pm

Hooked battery to charger,but it showed full charge. All battery contacts were cleaned. Cables in good condition and clean. Checked the 30 amp fuse - mine is the plastic blade type since the solenoid was replaced recently - plastic was partially melted but fuse looked ok. Replaced fuse and checked wires at solenoid. Solenoid was not in rubber holder, but loose. Tightened everything up and bike started right up and is running fine. Voltmeter showing 14.9 at 1000 rpm.
Not sure of condition of 30 amp plastic fuse when I picked bike up from having the neutral wire mess fixed. Going to run around 50 miles to see if bike starts to sputter again.
Thanks for the help!

HawkeyeGL1200
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Interstate
1981 GL1100 Interstate

Postby HawkeyeGL1200 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:03 am

It looks like you've found the problem. One thing I've experienced when riding (and working on) old motorcycles... Grounds, electrical connections of all kinds really, can worry the heck out of you. I check battery terminals, grounds, starter connections .. all that jazz when checking out an old bike... after I've cleaned as many connections as is possible, I move to fuel system checks.

To clean electrical connections, I use "scotchbrite" and a stainless steel wire brush... if the connection is in a place where it can get wet, I use a dielectric grease where practical. If you haven't hard-wired the stator to regulator/rectifier connection, it is something that you might consider as well. The stator you save may be your own.
I am wrong as often as I am right concerning what is wrong with someone else' motorcycle without having seen the machine in person. Guessing with limited information, as to the source of the trouble, is sketchy at best.

bustedwing
Motorcycle: 1990 Gold wing Trike

Postby bustedwing » Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:20 am

I agree wholeheartedly with Hawkeye, that would be your next step. Any connectors that appear melted are going to fail. The three on the stator are famous for failure and causing expensive repairs. Three yellow heavy wires have a plastic connection that you cut off, then solder the wires back together. Check it out, if it hasn't been done, now is the best time to do it. Ride safe.

Proud member Patriot Guard

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”