Grease Fitting

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100I Interstate

Grease Fitting

Postby moneypit » Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:19 pm

On my 1100 there is a grease fitting on the top of the drive shaft housing just in front of the final drive . I think its for a U joint but not sure . My question is what is it and how much and how often should I grease it.

Motorcycle: 1987 GL1200I 124k
2009 Honda Silverwing 14k -- the wife's scooter

Re: Grease Fitting

Postby skier » Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:20 pm

Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Interstate
1981 GL1100 Interstate

Re: Grease Fitting

Postby HawkeyeGL1200 » Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:27 pm

I have a GL500 which was a barn find, basically... 5000 miles on it when I bought it a couple of years ago. I rode it until I broke my wrist (Long story) and after my wrist healed, I bought a Virago, then the Goldwing which is what I ride most of the time now...

Back to the grease fitting. When I bought the "Silverwing" it made a peculiar noise while riding.. it was regular and rhythmic kind of a scuffing noise that I can't really describe... I tried to locate the sound, but nearest I could get was somewhere near the final drive. I bought a shop manual for the bike and discovered that drive shaft grease fitting just ahead of the final drive, similar to the one on your GL1100. When I checked into the purpose of the fitting, grease required and recommended maintenance frequency, it was apparent that with the low miles on the bike, the grease fitting MAY have been "hit" twice in 30 odd years. So, I bought some moly-grease and pumped in like ten shots of grease. I rode the bike a few days, and hit it with 10 more shots of grease.

I can't say where exactly the grease goes when you lubricate that fitting, but the strange noise near my final drive went away. So, I figure if Honda says put some grease in there every once in a while, I'd do it... even if the grease just kind of goes in there and makes a mess inside the drive shaft tube. If I took it apart and the drive shaft was a greasy mess, I'll clean it up, lube it up and put it back together again either way...
I am wrong as often as I am right concerning what is wrong with someone else' motorcycle without having seen the machine in person. Guessing with limited information, as to the source of the trouble, is sketchy at best.

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”