81 GL1100 Electrical Issues - No Dash Lights

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
sbeardsley51
Motorcycle: 1981 GL1100 Interstate

81 GL1100 Electrical Issues - No Dash Lights

Postby sbeardsley51 » Sat Aug 02, 2014 1:12 pm

A few weeks ago I went out to go for a ride on my bike. Inserted the key and turned. Got nothing.

Early last year I was having issues with the bike starting all the time. The starter would just spin. Changed the starter. Problem remained. Changed the starter solenoid. The bike ran all year with no problems. By all year with the hot rainy weather last summer I was able to ride 66 miles.

Then this year the issues started. The bike would drain the battery overnight. Had to charge it everyday. Then that one morning there was nothing.

I have stripped off the seat and false tank to get to the electrical system. For the past three weeks I have been cleaning contacts and following voltage and omhs thru the system. I did find that the rectifier was bad and changed that out. The ignition switch checked out as functional.

I also dismantled the starter stop switch and the start button on the right handle bar. They were both badly corroded and greasy. Cleaned the contacts and put it back together.

I did find that when having the volt meter hooked up to the negative post on the battery and testing everything that if I hold the red lead in my hand and touch the frame of the bike I get a reading as if I were touching across the battery contacts.

Help. I am at a loss.

Any insights would be helpful.

Thanks

eklimek
Motorcycle: 81 GL1100 (Widowmaker not in service), 83GL1100, CB350f x 6, CB400f x2, CB550f sold, CL350 (seized engine), plus enough donors to take me through retirement.

Re: 81 GL1100 Electrical Issues - No Dash Lights

Postby eklimek » Sat Aug 09, 2014 2:56 pm

If you have a corroded ground you would have the voltmeter reading as you describe. The voltage is different betwen frame and negative pole of battery versus positive pole.

But where is the an ongoing short that is causing your drained battery.

One way to isolate the circuits and begin to focus is to pull the fuses one at a time measuring the ammeter draw at the battery or voltage change. If no change then it is not among the fused connections.

The big remaining unfused connection is to through the solenoid and starter. I think you said you fixed this. Nevertheless do the same test in this circuit.

The only other thought is, Why were the dash lights are out? Is this your short circuit?

That's all I know. Others may be able to chime in if you post more results .

Good luck.

Britanicus
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 GoldWing

Postby Britanicus » Sat Aug 09, 2014 5:29 pm

The dash lights issue may not be related, check the fuses under the airbox in the false tank. I bet you have a bad fuse, prolly the 10 amp one.

eklimek
Motorcycle: 81 GL1100 (Widowmaker not in service), 83GL1100, CB350f x 6, CB400f x2, CB550f sold, CL350 (seized engine), plus enough donors to take me through retirement.

Postby eklimek » Sat Aug 09, 2014 5:55 pm

Brittanicus

I note you are in Belleville. A fellow just moved to Belleville and is looking to start a local Goldwing chapter

"Paul Cuddy" <paulcuddy@hotmail.com>

You mght give him an email.

Regards

sbeardsley51
Motorcycle: 1981 GL1100 Interstate

Postby sbeardsley51 » Mon Sep 08, 2014 2:46 pm

I have pulled the fuses one by one and the voltage doesn't change at all.

I pulled off the ground cable it didn't appear corroded, but i wire brushed it down to get a better connection anway.

Still no results.

I think that I will replace all of the fuses one by one with new ones and see what that does.

Thanks

Steve

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”