help wont start

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
insanemonke
Motorcycle: 1982 goldwing 1100 aspencade
1981 Goldwing 1100 interstate

help wont start

Postby insanemonke » Sun Aug 03, 2014 7:56 pm

i have a 1982 aspencade 1100 that i replaced the stator on now im havin all hinds of problems

first it wont start. it did start after i gt it back together but now it wont. it turns over but wont start. wen it did run after i gt it together it acted like it had no throttle but i would pull in the clutch handle it would rev ( i dont have them mixed up i checked that).

second the neutral light will not come on wen the bike is in gear nd clutch handle is pulled nd wont even try to start.

i took the spark plugs out nd tested them nd i do not gt spark now i will admit i pulled a 4 pronged cable that goes to the back of the engine out by mistake i wired it back in the best i could but could that be y i have no spark. it is behind a cover with 3 small 8mm bolts holdin it on

this has nothing to do with the problems im having now but my air suspension will not air up. the pump works but will not air up the shocks at all. the air goes out the relief hose

HawkeyeGL1200
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Interstate
1981 GL1100 Interstate

Re: help wont start

Postby HawkeyeGL1200 » Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:21 am

Your "not starting in gear with the clutch lever pulled in" is related to the neutral switch on the master cylinder or a relay related to neutral switch.

If I had the "not starting" problem you're having, I would disconnect the hose from the outlet side of the fuel pump and install a temporary hose from the pump to a gasoline-suitable container. Pull the spark plugs (so the engine will turn over faster) put the kill switch in the "off" position, and crank the engine over to see how much fuel your pump puts out. I suspect your fuel pump is not putting out enough gas. Now, it may be a blockage in the tank, petcock, fuel lines, filter or the pump itself, but that's what I'm leaning toward from a few hundred miles away.

It *could* also be a strange ground or short having to do with that neutral switch (may be the reason the engine will rev with the clutch lever pulled in and that it won't start in gear). So, you may have to trace the neutral switch wire from the clutch lever to wherever it is that if does its job in order to figure this out.
I am wrong as often as I am right concerning what is wrong with someone else' motorcycle without having seen the machine in person. Guessing with limited information, as to the source of the trouble, is sketchy at best.

insanemonke
Motorcycle: 1982 goldwing 1100 aspencade
1981 Goldwing 1100 interstate

Postby insanemonke » Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:35 pm

Wat bout the cable on the back of the the motor wat is that for

Ed Z
Motorcycle: 2006 gl1800
1987 gl1200 Aspen
1983 gl650 Intersta

Postby Ed Z » Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:26 am

Does it have 3 yellow wires on it ??? If so that is the stator output...Plug it mates to should be near the battery area... If you place a hose on the hose on the output side of the fuel pump and a funnel on the other end about 3 feet in the air, it should supply fuel to the carbs... Try starting the bike (likely will require an assistant)... If it fires, then you know you have a fuel delivery issue... Also obtaining a good repair manual will be required if you wish to maintain a 30 year bike such as this one...

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”