Hello All - New Member and New Owner

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links

Hello All - New Member and New Owner

Postby Preacher » Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:23 am

Hey Everyone!

I am new to the forum hear and have already found tons of useful information and am looking forward to experiencing life as a Goldwing owner. I just agreed to purchase a 1982 Goldwing yesterday and I have a few questions.

I haven't had a lot of time to research this bike but the price was right so I couldn't pass it up. (He is only asking $500 for it) The bike has been parked inside for the last 5 years or so and hasn't run so I am certain that it wil take some TLC to get it back into riding condition. However the question I have is this: is there anything that I need to be on the look out for that is specific to this particular model?

As I said I haven't done much research on the bike but here is what I know.

It was running when it was parked
It is a 1982 GL1100A (I believe it is an Aspencasde becasue it has the Clarion Radio but I have not checked the VIN)
The bike seems to be in fair condition overall just needs the typical repairs after sitting for sucha long time (tires, fluids, battery etc.)

Anyway like I said, most of what I am looking for is what are the model specific things I should be looking for?

Thanks in advance and i look forward to hearing the expert advice!

Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Hello All - New Member and New Owner

Postby WingAdmin » Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:31 pm

The "A" in the GL1100A says that it is an Aspencade, so it's the exact same bike that I have!

It's a great bike, and I'm sure you'll love it.

Having sat for a while, likely your biggest challenge will be the fuel system. You could have rust inside the fuel tank, and fuel in the carburetors could have varnished the carbs. I'd drain all the fuel out of it, drain the float chambers of each carb, and run a can or two of Seafoam through the fuel system. Make sure you check the interior of the fuel tank for rust, first - you don't want that getting into your carbs!

You will definitely want to change the timing belts. It's a relatively cheap and easy thing to do. If one of those 27 year old belts were to break, you can say goodbye to the heads on the engine.

Motorcycle: 82 GL 1100 Interstate

78 GL 1000

Re: Hello All - New Member and New Owner

Postby Oldewing » Thu Jul 30, 2009 5:58 am

Any bike that is new to me, I would change the timing belts first, then head for the carbs. Seafoam works great, and should help with "old gas troubles" that you might have. At http://www.randakks.com there is a very good list of what to do to wake these old girls up from a long nap.

you can go exactly .4 miles with the petcock turned off.

82 GL1100
68 CB350
06 GL1800

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”