Splitting crankcase

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
moritz1100
Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100

Splitting crankcase

Postby moritz1100 » Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:31 pm

I have an oil leak at the top of my engine where the two halves of the case meet and apparently from one of the bolts that join the two halves. I've tried tightening that and all the other bolts but they're tight and it's still leaking. I've tried all sorts of things on the seam and the bolt head but it still weeps out. Question is this, if I take out the engine can I undo enough bolts to be able to slightly separate the two halves and use some sealant on the seam and the offending bolt?
Can't understand why it leaks there, it's been like that since the po bought it.. Crankcase breather is clear, oil level is correct.. Don't want to completely disassemble the engine, it's running great and only just turned 40k miles..
Opinions?

RBGERSON
Motorcycle: 98 SE GL 1500
had every year from 75 to 83

Re: Splitting crankcase

Postby RBGERSON » Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:39 am

Yep you can..but as no gasket in there but cleaning it all up and using some sealer ALL the way around may be tough. Several good videos on separating the cases for rebuilds will give you an idea of how far you can pull before other things are effected. And lots of stuff has to come off first front and rear cases..to start, some transmission stuff..in the final drive time belts, it's a big job..
HAD LOTS OF GOLDWING 75-83
NOW INTO 1500'S..RIDING A 1998 SE

FAIR WINDS,
RB

moritz1100

Postby moritz1100 » Sun Aug 17, 2014 8:46 am

Thanks for the reply. I was talking to a guy about this and he thinks there should be more air coming out of the breather, reckons it could be a bit blocked, causing pressure build up and the oil leak.
How can I clean it out? Was thinking of putting a funnel on the end of the breather hose and pouring a can of engine cleaner down it before an oil change or blowing air through it (with the oil filler cap removed).
Anyone done this?

f1xrupr
Motorcycle: 1980 gl 1100 Std. Vetter

Postby f1xrupr » Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:38 am

That oill leak is a bummer.. .oil comes from the top of the crank case, runs down the right side of the engine-drips off if the drive gear cover onto the exhaust! Are you running synthetic oil? That is a cross-over oil passage with a o-ring seal that oils the head (cam rockers etc) on the opposite side of the engine from the oil pump. .. that's not a guess. At least a partial engine split is necessary to replace that o-ring....partial engine split is kinda risky though. If it's not to bad, it might be wise to just keep it clean :roll:
My exercise bike is a goldwing.

moritz1100

Postby moritz1100 » Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:08 am

It's definitely a bummer, and a massive job to fix. If the oil was just coming out of the seam between the crankcase halves I'd agree with the o-ring theory but as it's getting squeezed out from behind one of the big bolts joining the halves I'm thinking it's worth having a go at the breather to see if it's causing pressure build up.
What's under the elbow connection on the left side of the engine for the breather hose? Is there a gauze that could be partially blocked? Would it be ok to pour a "Seafoam" equivalent down there and then maybe give it a quick blast with an air hose before doing an oil change? Can't see it doing any harm..
?

f1xrupr

Postby f1xrupr » Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:43 pm

If it's coming from a bolt head, that would be awesome-maybe a copper or brass washer would help. Blowing in the vent tube with the oil cap off is a good idea although I think if it were blocked, it would leak from shaft seals, or .vc gaskets. I have mixed feelings about using cleaning agents in old engines as it "can" break loose a whole bunch of crud. You can rinse it out, but it continues to loosen...some people think it's great..

moritz1100

Postby moritz1100 » Sat Aug 23, 2014 3:01 am

Well I tried the engine flush down the breather but it did absolutely nothing, the gauze I imagined probably doesn't exist. The leak is really pissing me off, it leaks more oil than my old pre-unit Triumph used to. Last night, in a beer fuelled leak hating session, I decided it has to be engine out time. I've got a week off with absolutely no commitments and I have a place to do it.
That o-ring you mentioned is between the head and the block right? Don't have any oil coming out there, just on the seam where the 2 halves of the case meet, right under the carbs. Do the heads have to come off to do what I want to do?
From looking at the manual and step by steps online it looks like an hour or 2 to get the engine out. Once it's split the plan is to clean the seam all around and use some liquid gasket on it. As for the bolt with the leak, hopefully the thread is ok and it just needs a sealing washer and some gasket too.. Figuring on 2 days in the workshop altogether?

Old Fogey
Motorcycle: 1976 GL1000
1979 GL1000

Postby Old Fogey » Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:30 pm

If you look at the top of the block under the carbs, you will see a 'hump' about 1/2" across, running from one side of the engine to the other. This is an oil transfer gallery which should have a steel ferrule (or dowel) between the two halves sealed by an O ring (8 x 1.9mm , 91361-706-000).

You can get a new O ring on by splitting the cases apart by about 3/4". To do so the left hand head has to come off to get at the big crankcase bolt underneath (rubbish bit of design), plus the front transmission case, the rear cover along with the clutch cover. You will need new gaskets for all of these, plus don't forget the alloy sealing washers on the 6mm crankcase bolts or they will leak.
There is no gasket between the case halves.
The whole clutch and scavenge oil pump sprocket and chain also have to come off.
There is nothing beneath the crankcase vent tube to get blocked.
Image Image

'Impossible' is just a level of difficulty! The only stupid question is the one you didn't ask first!

f1xrupr

Postby f1xrupr » Sat Sep 20, 2014 4:27 pm

My 1100 was leaking there-I had the carbs off a few days ago, and I asked the Lord to help me stop that leak without splitting the case again...this is what he put ibid my head-worked great...stopped leak! While I had carbs off, took pocket knife and scraped seam about 2" long, cleaned out joint without gouging, cleaned with small stiff wire brush, cleaned with acetone, mixed and applied about a 2" x 1/4" bead of JB weld working it into the seam a little...worked great!

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”