Strange electrical problems

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100 Interstate

Strange electrical problems

Postby swinginwrenches » Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:01 am

So my 2nd starter went out on me the night before I was supposed to do an 850 mile ride. I managed to rebuild it, after reinstalling it and a new solenoid my bike started up just fine. Engine ran fine in neutral, then I put it into gear and it begins to shake like when the transmission is preventing the engine from stalling at low rpm and it only gets worse if I rev it up. The headlights and dash lights go out when I release the clutch and the neutral light turns on when I pull the clutch back in. After playing with it a bit further I realized that it will not start in gear, it would only start in neutral. And then to top off my fun evening I'm pretty sure that the starter has crapped out on me again. I figure it must be a short somewhere in the neutral sensor or the neutral diode but more than suggestions about the wacko electrical gremlin I have I would like to hear any ideas on why my starters are giving out. I have put a lot of miles on my wing since I picked her up in April, over 7k. And other than the first starter giving out on me she's been a solid highway cruiser!

1983 GL1100I Sif "The White Wing"

Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Re: Strange electrical problems

Postby virgilmobile » Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:24 am

obviously your neutral diode has shorted.....Interesting tho...there pretty robust....
Without going into theory as why,I suspect the ground cable at the frame is corroded....Just pull it loose and super clean the frame and lug,any Louisiana rust is bad...bolt it back on...
Same for the battery lugs.
I'll venture to guess that it's also the reason your going through starters....and diode..
The starter looks cooked...Right.??? like overheating around the brushes.?

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”