83 gl1100 interstate problem

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
scooter123
Motorcycle: 1983 gl1100 interstate

83 gl1100 interstate problem

Postby scooter123 » Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:27 pm

So I took the bike for a 80km run today and went to gas up and not a gig in the battery when I went to start it :x ......so got a boost and made it home!!
So the first thing I checked was the 3 prong plug coming form the stator....the prongs at some point got hot and kinda melted the plug a bit......so I numbered each wire so they would not get mixed up and removed the plug and just plugged them back together on by one and taped them!!

gave the bike a boost and it started right up.....let it idle for a min or two and noticed a bit of smoke coming from one of the wires we taped up so I shut it down :roll:

so will a ad battery cause this...I don't know the history of the bike weather the battery had frozen in its past life......had it on a charger for a bit today and it didn't doo squat!!!!

Or do I have a stator problem or a voltage regulator problem??? The 3 prong plug has 3 yellow wires going to it!!

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: 83 gl1100 interstate problem

Postby WingAdmin » Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:44 pm

scooter123 wrote:So I took the bike for a 80km run today and went to gas up and not a gig in the battery when I went to start it :x ......so got a boost and made it home!!
So the first thing I checked was the 3 prong plug coming form the stator....the prongs at some point got hot and kinda melted the plug a bit......so I numbered each wire so they would not get mixed up and removed the plug and just plugged them back together on by one and taped them!!

gave the bike a boost and it started right up.....let it idle for a min or two and noticed a bit of smoke coming from one of the wires we taped up so I shut it down :roll:

so will a ad battery cause this...I don't know the history of the bike weather the battery had frozen in its past life......had it on a charger for a bit today and it didn't doo squat!!!!

Or do I have a stator problem or a voltage regulator problem??? The 3 prong plug has 3 yellow wires going to it!!

This is a VERY common problem. The problem is strictly with the connector itself, not with the stator, regulator or battery. Read these topics:

Three Yellow Wires

3 Yellow Wire Soldering

f1xrupr
Motorcycle: 1980 gl 1100 Std. Vetter

Re: 83 gl1100 interstate problem

Postby f1xrupr » Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:30 pm

Twisting and taping is not a good fix. That smoke is poor connection of dirty wires fueled by vinyl-they should be properly repaired. Also, the battery should be properly maintained and fully charged before being put into service. Over working a charging system can be costly. Running a bad battery should be avoided as it can cause electrical complications at best.
My exercise bike is a goldwing.

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”