1980 gl and 1982 goldwing

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
chargincharlie
Motorcycle: 1982 honda goldwing 1100

1980 gl and 1982 goldwing

Postby chargincharlie » Sat Sep 06, 2014 9:35 am

i have an 1982 gl1100 goldwing i came across two 1980 goldwing someone selling for $350.00 cash with lots of parts will these parts fit the 1982 model its an interstate by the photos they look very similar i dont have the resources to match up parts numbers he did say one of the bikes runs but by the photo he could have fooled me and i dont want to buy a bunch of parts if they dont fit the 82 im sure body parts will but engine parts maybe a different story thanks for any help guys also thans for this group my 82 i just purchased a month ago was running fine but i went ahead and flushed out radiator and changed oil now anti-freeze seeping out weep holew so i ordered new water pump gasket set from the site you recommended cyclemax also ordered a spring and washer that was missing out of the oil filter the guy i purchased the bike off said he is a mechanic sure hope the sping and spacer does not affect engine some mechanic after flushing radiator looked like he added a stop leak in radiator ive never done a water pump on a bike only cars so with your guidence page im going to give it a shot i also ordered the clymer book for the bike just as a back up to your guide but i think i purchased everything i will need other than fresh oil and anti-freeze which of coarse i just replaced so guess that goes in the trash im also changing plugs im just waiting on parts from cycle max they had to order a few OEM parts from honda for me order so what you all think should i buy then goldwings or not thanks again for any imput and keep up the great work you do

Old Fogey
Motorcycle: 1976 GL1000
1979 GL1000

Re: 1980 gl and 1982 goldwing

Postby Old Fogey » Sat Sep 06, 2014 8:00 pm

Virtually all the engine parts will interchange, but there ARE some differences.
In 82 the ignition system was moved from the rear case to the front transmission cover behind the belt covers, so the rear case and the trans covers don't interchange.
There are gearing changes too between the models, but the gear sets as a whole interchange.
Frames are the same. Your swing arm allows a wider tyre than the 80s; the wheels will both swap but you need the axle and spacers to match for the rear.
Brakes will swap over, but the 82 has the better twin piston front callipers.
In other words, tons of stuff will work on your bike.

You need to change the water pump as well as the seals. It is usually the labyrinth seal in the centre of the pump that goes, not replaceable, and anyway it's a big job and the pump has to come out to renew the seals, so do it right. You will not want to do it again.
There are three alloy crush washers #90441-028-010 on the bolts that hold the pump into the case. You MUST replace these.
Also, renew the gasket on the front cover #11391-371-000 or risk having gear change problems.
Image Image

'Impossible' is just a level of difficulty! The only stupid question is the one you didn't ask first!

chargincharlie

Postby chargincharlie » Sun Sep 07, 2014 8:31 am

thanks for the quik reply Yes im changing water pump cyclemax also ordered a new water pump gasket set from cycle max with pump im hoping all gaskets are included for the complete job thanks for all the info you provided i really appreciate you and the information this site provides its a great tool for the novice bike mechanic and i will be using all the info as i replace the pump and gaskets i hope i have everything for the job->> gasket remover ,brake and parts cleaner,thread locker ,anti sieze,silicone spray for rubber o-rings and or ATF ,new torque wrench also purchased new plugs ,oil filter air filter,and a big drip pan to place under bike while im disassembling just incase i drop anything hopefully it will fall into drip pan if anyone would like to add any info that would help i'd surelly appreciate it thanks and happy riding :D forgot to mention i also just ordered a new stant thermostate , radiator for upper and lower hose from napa and a stant radiator cap if im going to take it all apart mite as well change everything to new and yes i also got new hose clamps

chargincharlie

Postby chargincharlie » Sun Sep 07, 2014 8:39 am

i just caught you post you say the center water pump seal is not replaceable then why change the water pump and all the seals what can i do about that seal ?purchase a new cover or what? hopefully the seal is in the new water pump can you please elaborate on this more and any fixes i am assuming if i replace the water pump is new so center seal should be new in pump? and yes i hope the crush seals come in the gasket set and every seal o-rings and gaskets that are needed to do the complete job :? pondering hope i ordered everything i need so i want to have everything together before i start the repair

Old Fogey
1979 GL1000

Postby Old Fogey » Sun Sep 07, 2014 8:53 am

chargincharlie wrote:i just caught you post you say the center water pump seal is not replaceable then why change the water pump and all the seals what can i do about that seal ?purchase a new cover or what? hopefully the seal is in the new water pump can you please elaborate on this more and any fixes thanks

No, no, you've picked me up wrong. The labyrinth seal is in the middle of the actual water pump body, which is why I said change the pump.
You seem to have everything in hand so far. If you don't have one, I seriously suggest getting a workshop manual. These are quirky old bikes and things are not always obvious. But we are here to help, don't hesitate to ask (before you screw up by not asking, preferably ;) ).

Check out the 'how to articles' on here.
Check out the Fix it articles on here: http://www.wingovations.com/index/4579471048
Check out the info for the four cylinder bikes on this forum too: http://www.ngwclub.com/
Image Image

'Impossible' is just a level of difficulty! The only stupid question is the one you didn't ask first!

chargincharlie

Postby chargincharlie » Sun Sep 07, 2014 9:50 am

Yes forgot to mention I also purchased the clymer repair Manuel from cycle max ok you had me worried for a moment lol. Sure glad I purchased a new pump don't want to use old junk and have to re do the job rather be riding then getting my hands dirty for sure Thank You ,Thank you. Thank you :D

Old Fogey
1979 GL1000

Postby Old Fogey » Sun Sep 07, 2014 10:02 am

Be careful with that 'Clymer Book Of Lies' :lol:

Seriously, there is a fair bit of misinformation in it. Better with the correct Honda one or even the Haynes.
Image Image

chargincharlie

Postby chargincharlie » Sun Sep 07, 2014 10:12 am

I also was reading your wing site pretty cool I joined it also was reading on water pump and saw the housing pump rust if mine is deteriating is there a way to fix it or replace it when I drained the system to flush it out looked like water to me and we know what straight water does to aluminum I'm just hoping this so called mechanic I purchased the bike off of did not run straight water in the engine along time sure wish I had checked all this out before buying live and learn

chargincharlie

Postby chargincharlie » Sun Sep 07, 2014 1:32 pm

BE HEALTHY EAT YOUR HONEY
chargincharlie wrote:I also was reading your wing site pretty cool I joined it also was reading on water pump and saw the housing pump rust if mine is deteriating is there a way to fix it or replace it when I drained the system to flush it out looked like water to me and we know what straight water does to aluminum I'm just hoping this so called mechanic I purchased the bike off of did not run straight water in the engine along time sure wish I had checked all this out before buying live and learn

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”