leaking air from suspension on 82 aspy

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
Raj
Motorcycle: 82 aspencade 1100

leaking air from suspension on 82 aspy

Postby Raj » Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:24 pm

Hi, I'm new to the Goldwing world. Bought an 82 gl11000A last fall and have been riding it to work
for a couple of months. Among other things the suspension is showing signs of old age.
The pump will pressure up the shocks but seems to lose air over a few days.
Controls are kind of confusing as well.
not many riding days left up here in Grande Prairie Alberta, so any advice is welcome.

HawkeyeGL1200
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Interstate
1981 GL1100 Interstate

Re: leaking air from suspension on 82 aspy

Postby HawkeyeGL1200 » Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:11 am

Like any other pneumatic system, the suspension on your Goldwing can be losing air pressure for any number of reasons... all of them have to do with leaks. The leak down can be happening due to lose or worn fittings, or worn seals. If you don't mind pumping up the shocks every few days until your riding season is over, I don't think it will make things worse when the time comes to repair everything.

The first thing I'd do is get some soapy water and brush it on every fitting you can find that holds air in the shocks. If that doesn't identify the source of the leak, it may require you remove the shocks and boots and try again. Eventually, you'll figure out where your air is going, and then you'll be able to form a game plan to resolve the leaks. Shocks can be rebuilt. Air line fitting leaks can be tightened or sealed with some good pipe thread compound or teflon tape. Leaks in the lines themselves will require replacement. None of these repairs is generally cost prohibitive, but a little time consuming to get the bags off to get at the shocks. If it were me, and I had to remove the bags to do some shock maintenance, I'd pull the rear wheel, change the wheel bearings and have a good look at the final drive splines... give them a good cleaning and coating with Honda Moly 60, drain and refill the final drive fluid... and replace the rear tire if needed, all at the same time... oh, yeah, and the rear brake caliper and shoes would get a good looking into as well.

That's about all I have.
I am wrong as often as I am right concerning what is wrong with someone else' motorcycle without having seen the machine in person. Guessing with limited information, as to the source of the trouble, is sketchy at best.

Raj

Postby Raj » Wed Sep 10, 2014 6:53 pm

Thanks for the reply, sounds like a job for the long winter season here in G.P.
I can top them up as needed for now....Raj.

Raj

Postby Raj » Wed Sep 10, 2014 7:03 pm

Has anyone replaced air shocks with conventional spring shocks?
Attachments

glasshead
Motorcycle: 1983 Goldwing Interstate

Postby glasshead » Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:00 pm

I had a previous post with the same problem, but I can't find it, so I will jump in on this one. My rear shocks leaked so bad that I could watch the gauge go down in seconds. I found the leak (or one of them, because I ran into trouble on that one). The leak was at the connection where the little air tube connects to the T (where it branches to both shocks) down by the rear master brake fill cup. When I wiggled the tube, it hissed. I tightened the coupling, but it only helped a little. So I unscrewed it and pulled the tiny hose out, cut the end off and then screwed it back on. (Figured the end of the hose had gotten hard and not sealed or something). I figured I would do the same with the connection at the gauge before I pumped the shocks back up. I pumped them up to 50 pounds, and it held. Problem solved, except that an hour later, no air. Long story, but I tightened the nipple that screws into the gauge too much and the threads broke off. I got those out, but now I need a new one. Is it a trip to the dealer? Since I have a ruined piece, I fooled around with the larger coupling that screws onto the smaller one (with the now missing threads that should screw into the gauge). I noticed that what I thought was a metal pressure fitting inside the big coupling, is actually rubber. I was able to pry it out.
It seems like the rubber insert (it is way too thick to be called a washer, plus it fits inside the coupling) would be the reason for the leak. Is it also a dealer part that is available?

glasshead

Postby glasshead » Thu Sep 11, 2014 6:32 pm

Never mind :oops: I just looked up a former post on how to put air in rear shocks. It turns out that the 83 Interstate doesn't have gauges. The whole set up was put on by PO. No wonder the gauges were held on the handle bars with a hose clamp. It WAS nice to have that constant visual to monitor air pressure. I may rig something up of my own later. :P :P

RBGERSON
Motorcycle: 98 SE GL 1500
had every year from 75 to 83

Postby RBGERSON » Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:16 am

Yes Progressive makes a couple of springs that can replace the air system..418's??? maybe is the number but check with them.
HAD LOTS OF GOLDWING 75-83
NOW INTO 1500'S..RIDING A 1998 SE

FAIR WINDS,
RB

glasshead

Postby glasshead » Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:30 pm

I still have a slow leak. If I have to replace the seals, where do I buy them?

Raj

Postby Raj » Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:38 pm

Among other things on the "oldwing", I wonder how to keep the rear break from staying on. Some times on some times off. It works all right
but seizes up from time to time. Is this a major job to fix?

HawkeyeGL1200
1981 GL1100 Interstate

Postby HawkeyeGL1200 » Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:02 pm

I think you can find the seals if you search by part number on the internet. If you need part numbers, I can look them up for you.

The typical cause of the brake caliper not releasing properly is usually one of two things. Either the pistons in the calipers are seizing, or the fluid return port (tiny little hole in the bottom of the master cylinder reservoir) is plugged preventing the relaxation of the piston after pressure is release from the foot pedal.

If the pistons in the caliper are in good shape, you can check to see if the return hole is plugged up by pressing down on the foot brake and then letting off, then cracking the bleeder valve slightly open. If you get a squirt of fluid from the bleeder, with your foot OFF the brake, then it's probably the fluid return port. This can generally be opened up with a guitar string (a very skinny one).
I am wrong as often as I am right concerning what is wrong with someone else' motorcycle without having seen the machine in person. Guessing with limited information, as to the source of the trouble, is sketchy at best.

glasshead

Postby glasshead » Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:23 pm

A part number for the seals would be great. It is an 83 Interstate.

HawkeyeGL1200
1981 GL1100 Interstate

Postby HawkeyeGL1200 » Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:05 pm

glasshead wrote:A part number for the seals would be great. It is an 83 Interstate.

According to the parts manual I have, you need two (2) each of the following to replace the seals and the "circlips" which I'd call snap rings.

Item # 11: 52447-463- Circlip, internal
Item # 12: 52462-463-003 Guide, damper case
Item # 13: 52463-463-003 Ring A, back-up
Item # 14: 52464-463-003 Ring B, back-up
Item # 18: 52611-463-013 Boot, RR. Damper
Item # 24: 91257-463-013 Oil seal, 33x66x10.5

I looked these up on the manual, selecting part numbers specified for a 1983 model ... HOWEVER, I would strongly recommend you VERIFY these numbers by doing a part number search (google will work) to ensure they FIT your model year before you buy them. If you don't need snap rings, boots or any of the other items, then you won't have to buy them (obviously)... I would also be most pleased to EMAIL you a copy of the parts manual I have, in .pdf form, if you want to PM me your email address.

Hawk

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”