Heavy steering after new front tire was replaced today

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
FlashBack
Motorcycle: 1983 Honda GL1100 Interstate

Heavy steering after new front tire was replaced today

Postby FlashBack » Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:46 pm

Greetings from Oregon.
I changed out my front tire for a new Dunlop Elite. Re installation of the front tire, caliper brackets, calipers all went well. Spun great in the air. No rubbing and proper clearence between caliper mount and rotor. 36 pounds in the tire. Bought this bike about 1 1/2 years ago.

However, when i was ready to take a spin after i put it all back together, i noticed the steering is way heavy now. Its been a long time since i had a tire on a bike changed as i was out of riding for 23 years. I changed out the rear a month ago with an Elite 3.
My question is: Is this normal behavior when a new front tire is mounted on a Goldwing?
Would more air in the front help? I run about 5 pounds. Anyone else experienced this?

Thank you in advance. Really enjoy this board. Its been very helpful getting me up to speed with my Goldwing

HawkeyeGL1200
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Interstate
1981 GL1100 Interstate

Re: Heavy steering after new front tire was replaced today

Postby HawkeyeGL1200 » Thu Sep 11, 2014 11:05 pm

I'm a little confused. It looks like you put 36 pounds of air in the tire, then it appears you wrote you "run about 5 pounds" in the tire.

I run 40-41 PSI in my front. It steers and wears very well. Can you clarify the air pressure you're running?
I am wrong as often as I am right concerning what is wrong with someone else' motorcycle without having seen the machine in person. Guessing with limited information, as to the source of the trouble, is sketchy at best.

FlashBack

Postby FlashBack » Thu Sep 11, 2014 11:35 pm

5pounds of air in the forks

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Postby dingdong » Fri Sep 12, 2014 6:54 am

Ditto on 40/41 lbs......
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:45 am

I find that a new tire makes the steering more light, not more heavy. I agree that your air pressure might be a little low, and low pressure will certainly give you a heavy feel on steering.

HawkeyeGL1200
1981 GL1100 Interstate

Postby HawkeyeGL1200 » Fri Sep 12, 2014 2:09 pm

If I recall correctly, the GL1100 can take up to 20-21 psi in the front forks. Please correct me if I'm wrong, as I'm going from memory here. At 5 psi, I can understand the front end feeling "mushy" but not sluggish in the turning.

This is definitely one of the times where I wish I could take the bike around the block for a test ride. A new tire should feel different than the old one did, but I can't wrap my brain around "heavy" steering when it is the only variable that changed in the front end.

I would put the bike on center stand, and jack up slightly on the engine to raise the front end up off the ground, and have a good shake, push and pull to see if the steering head and fork tubes are firmly tightened in place. You can try bumping up the air pressure in the forks to see if that changes anything, but I can't see why it would make the front end steer heavy.

It is possible it is just the difference between how the new and old compound are gripping the road surface. If your old tire was really old, the rubber can be hard. I don't ever recall changing any tire out and finding the steering had significant change in the feel, other than to so I have noticed a much better control of the front end in almost every case of installing a new tire. I always just challked it up to fresh rubber, deeper grooves and no imperfections of the newer tire. I guess we can be talking about the same thing, described in different ways, but I don't know that I'd call it "heavy steering" when putting on fresh skins.

If you think it's safe to take it for a slow speed ride to see if the bike handles okay, that's something else I'd probably do.
I am wrong as often as I am right concerning what is wrong with someone else' motorcycle without having seen the machine in person. Guessing with limited information, as to the source of the trouble, is sketchy at best.

FlashBack

Postby FlashBack » Fri Sep 12, 2014 4:21 pm

Okay problem solved. Im a bonehead.
So when i picked up the tire yesterday, they told me it had 36 pounds in it. When i went out this morning, the brand new tire was flat. Based on what they told me i assumed all was well so it bever occured to me that the tire had low air pressure causing the heavy steering.
I pumped it up to about 32 pounds, got my spray bottle with soapy water and checked the valve stem core and lo & behold, i had air coming out of it.
Aired it up a bit more and rode it into town to the tire store. Replaced the Valve stem core, aired both tires to 40 pounds and rides and handles awsome.
Lesson learned and the takeaway is to never just go on the word of someone, verify it yourself.
Thanks for the suggestions

littlebeaver
Motorcycle: 1981 gl 1100 I , 79 Yamaha XS11
Special, 82 Kawa 750 CSR, 82 Kawa 750 LTD, 03 Kawa Nomad 1500, 99 Kawa Voyager 1200

Postby littlebeaver » Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:23 pm

I suppose it's ok to call yourself a name or two from time to time but if you start hitting yourself because of mistakes you make,, might wanna check that out with Mr. Whitecoat...On Mr. Sofa... :lol: Glad it was something simple..... :lol:
Last edited by littlebeaver on Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

HawkeyeGL1200
1981 GL1100 Interstate

Postby HawkeyeGL1200 » Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:29 pm

We're not really going to start keeping track of the mistakes we make are we? If that's the worst thing that happens to you, or the worst mistake you make this week, it will be a great week. I'm at the point in my life where I only worry about three things when I make a mistake:

1) did anyone or will anyone get HURT as a result of my stupidity?
2) Am I going to get fired?
3) Am I going to jail?

The rest is small stuff. You know what I've always been told? Don't sweat the small stuff. The big stuff will take care of itself.

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”