82 gl1100 question on water pump

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
chargincharlie
Motorcycle: 1982 honda goldwing 1100

82 gl1100 question on water pump

Postby chargincharlie » Fri Sep 12, 2014 7:12 pm

i reinstalled pump no problems but when i installed case forgot to make sure the pump was lined up with oil pump while i was tighening case down i herd a clonk kind os sound thought i cracked the case but no crack then when i came up stairs to computer saw that i forget to make sure everything was alined rite hate to have to take it apart cause i used a little engine adhesive along the edge of the gasket to keep from moving but seems like it bolted down tight im thinking on ordering a new gasket and taking it apart to make sure dont want to damage the engine what do you guys think figure before i assemble everything better to be sure just dont want to have to wait a week for gasket set but i want it rite is there anyway to tell if its in rite without taking it all apart again ya im a dumb ass lol

chargincharlie

Re: 82 gl1100 question on water pump

Postby chargincharlie » Sat Sep 13, 2014 7:11 am

probably answered my own question going to take it apart and check it out have to find a new gasket better to be safe then sorry

newday777
Motorcycle: 2008 Cabernet Red. Level 4

1983 GL1100A Wineberry to sell 36,000 miles

1999A Restored and sold at 19,000 miles

1999SE Totaled by cager at 105,000 miles

Postby newday777 » Sat Sep 13, 2014 7:16 am

Did you clean the dowls before you reassembled the trans cover?
Yes the water pump has to be lined up by turning the pump through the inspection cover while reassembly is in process.

I first would remove the inspection cover for the water pump and see if the pump will turn or not, by hand and if it doesn't, then with kill switch off, spin over with the starter to see if the pump spins as the oil pump could have been damaged.
The other thing to check is the neutral light if it goes out when you shift it into 1st gear and then up to 2nd(not running), as the neutral switch has to be lined up also like the water pump. Not much else that might have been damaged by not aligning them.

chargincharlie

Postby chargincharlie » Sat Sep 13, 2014 10:04 am

well i hope no damage to oil pump have to check that but yes i took it back apart found i broke off the end of the water pump that alines with oil pump exspensive lesson so ordering a new pump and gasket set again from cycle max i do have a parts engine and water pump looks new but im not chancing it changing everything again but first have to see if pump spins sure hope so or that will be a job to fix does engine have to come apart to change oil pump or can it be done from the front were im at?

redbug
Motorcycle: 1983 Gl1100I
1986 Harley FLHT

Postby redbug » Sat Sep 13, 2014 12:16 pm

May I make a suggestion ? I used the cycle max gasket kit because it had a Honda pump and the O-rings all together. What I didn't care for was the main housing gasket. The material it is made out of looks like the roll gasket paper you use to get at the parts store to make your own gaskets. And it is thinner than the Honda gasket. Go get a real Honda gasket and you will see the difference. This is the time to use OEM to me. With a bolt sequence to remove and install the cover it must be critical to do it properly. I did take measurements of the gaskets and the cycle max gasket was .001 to.003 in off in in thickness, and the Honda gasket was all the same. Plus a different material. Partszilla is a good source of oem at a fair price. The Honda dealer I use, order on Tue. parts on Friday, order on Wed. parts on Sat. Now I know this set is used a lot with no problems, I just didn't care for the aftermarket gasket. Let us know how it's going.
" Ridin on Tulsa Time "

chargincharlie

Postby chargincharlie » Sat Sep 13, 2014 1:24 pm

well oil pump is ok i am going to purchase everything new again and start over i want this thing rite thank GOD he meets all my needs threw his riches and GLORY i do have another engine water pump looks pretty new but im still not going to chance it thanks guys

chargincharlie

Postby chargincharlie » Sat Sep 13, 2014 2:26 pm

also redbug i looked even at honda for OEM gaskets and they could not get them but thanks for the info i cant wait bikes apart had to order everything again from cyclemax man they should give me a discount lol

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”