Rear Shocks removal

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
kajunmisfitt
Motorcycle: 1984 GL 1200 Aspencade

Rear Shocks removal

Postby kajunmisfitt » Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:57 pm

Ok, I am not sure if this has been talked about , if so I don't remember it, (danm wreck must have done something to my memory),
What I am interested in finding out is ,on these OEM stock shocks that I found and the ones I got from a friend are the same,,,,, So that being said what I am wondering is can't I just remove each shock one at a time replacing old with new, I am hoping it is this simple,,, I am wanting to unscrew each line from the bike (NOT THE SIDE THAT COMES OFF THE TOP OF THE SHOCK) But unscrew the hose replace the shock screw the new hose back on, then so the same for the other side. THAT IS AS FAR AS I AM THINKING,,,,,i AM NOT THIS DUMB NOT TO WONDER IF ME DOING ALL THIS IS THE OIL OR AIR WOULD NOT BE jeopardized with trash or be contaminated, So what do I do then ,,, If I am this lucky and just finish everything and put thing back together and pump up the shock and go for a ride...... with all the problem I am having with this bike, when it comes too the kick stand not keeping the bike leaning to the left side when I get off, the stupid thing wants to fall too the right side over it side. Or it not bottoming out when my sons are rising with me and I turn corners, and it drags the road. Since the shock is not leaking oil and it keeps pressure I am wondering if I do this then I should take care of the problem !!! Thanks for th ehelp everyone !!!!

82aspen
Motorcycle: 82 aspencade

Re: Rear Shocks removal

Postby 82aspen » Wed Sep 24, 2014 7:28 pm

let the air out first before unscrewing air lines, have the bike on the centerstand then do one shock at a time,

if you have a trunk and bags, all of it including mounting hardware has to come off first

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”