Right Carb spewing gas

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
pschweitzer
Motorcycle: 1983 Goldwing Interstate GL1100I

Right Carb spewing gas

Postby pschweitzer » Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:00 am

Was overseas a lot longer than I thought this year. Have not been home since April and that was the last time I rode my '83 Interstate. Back then everything was OK and I had most of the maintenance done 6 months earlier (timing belts, radiator cleaned, new temp sensor, speedo fixed, carbs synched, tune up done) and the bike ran great. Came back on Friday and the first thing on my agenda was to get the bike over to the local mechanic for an inspection (it was overdue). It is also a real nice day here in Northern Virginia and riding was definitely on my mind. The bike started right up but as it was warming up I saw a flood of fluid coming out from under the right carbs. I thought a heater hose had busted. I shut down immediately to investigate only to find it was gas and not water. Fuel lines were dry and it looks like it was coming from the bowl. I think I just found my winter project, but before I tear out the carbs for rebuild, is there anything simpler I should be looking at? I do not think these carbs have ever been rebuilt so I am thinking a gasket let loose after sitting a while. I had gas treatment with a fresh tank before I put the bike up for storage. I had the valve closed, but did not run gas out of the carbs before I parked it.

RBGERSON
Motorcycle: 98 SE GL 1500
had every year from 75 to 83

Re: Right Carb spewing gas

Postby RBGERSON » Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:36 am

try it with the air box off to see if gas is pooling in the plenum. Could be stuck float, bad needle or o rings. But yeah rebuild probably in order if never been done.
HAD LOTS OF GOLDWING 75-83
NOW INTO 1500'S..RIDING A 1998 SE

FAIR WINDS,
RB

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Postby dingdong » Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:32 am

Yeah. Sounds like a stuck float. Tap on the bowl to try and free it up. Might let you ride with no problems.

Tom
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

pschweitzer
Motorcycle: 1983 Goldwing Interstate GL1100I

Postby pschweitzer » Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:20 pm

Thanks all. I'll try tapping to see if the float will free up if that is what it is, but I think I'll pull the carbs and overhaul anyway. Have seen on Randackk's website that he recommends some shops for doing the rebuild. One shop in Tennessee called Pistol Pete's Goldwing Service is only charging $485 for a basic rebuild. Given the amount of time (probably all winter) and assembling the space and tools to do the job, this sounded like a pretty good deal (especially since the carbs come back balanced). Anyone use this shop or similar?

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Postby dingdong » Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:10 am

Pistol Petes is probably the best there is at rebuilding gl carbs. Balanced to his engine. You may need to re-balance to yours. But it is a good starting point and it may be good to go.
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Tol99
Motorcycle: 1994 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100 STD

Postby Tol99 » Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:47 pm

If you decide to tackle this yourself I recommend reading this info: http://filipi.com/ngw/roady/Carb_Overhaul_GL1100.pdf

I did mine in about 4-5 hours. It was a lot of fun. I only replaced one needle valve because the rubber tip broke off. Cleaned everything, set the floats and put it back together with the original o-rings. I am sure the experts will disagree but I wanted to get some riding time in before winter. In Minnesota, our riding days are numbered. Bike is running great with no leaks.

Not sure if the link above worked but if you google gl1100 carb overhaul you will find this info. Good luck.

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”