With a Gush, Out comes the Oil

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
Hoosier Jack
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 Interstate

With a Gush, Out comes the Oil

Postby Hoosier Jack » Sat Oct 04, 2014 5:58 am

I traded for a 1982 1100 Interstate this week that is in beautiful condition. It needs the normal maintenance items to be gone through and when I drained the oil in it the oil came out in a gush. Not real thick like you would think, much thinner, but a lot cleaner than I would have thought as though it had been changed and rode very little, if at all. The bike had sit for a couple of years.

First a reach kind of question: Does synthetic oil pour thin like this? I have never used a synthetic so I don't know. Or, did I have gas in the oil, and enough that it would gush out like that? I smell a faint smell of gas, but I have other things in the garage that would give me that. If it was gas, what kind of problems would that cause? The one thing that comes to mind is the clutch, but I don't know. Would filling the crankcase back up with oil, then running it for a bit, then replacing that oil be advisable?

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Re: With a Gush, Out comes the Oil

Postby themainviking » Sat Oct 04, 2014 8:27 am

Synthetics do not pour any thinner seeming than dino oils. This oil would be likely either a light grade like 10 weight, or you indeed might have had some gas seep by the rings while the bike was sitting. If it was me, first of all, I would change the timing belts, if I was not sure of when they were done, then I would fill it with motorcycle oil and a crankcase cleaner, and run it for a hundred miles. Then drain it and fill it with your favorite oil. Alternative to that - fill it with your favorite oil and check it while you drive it to see how quickly it gets black. If it gets black really quick, make room for some crankcase cleaner, and go with my first suggestion. Whichever you choose, keep in mind that oil cannot harm your bike. Only a lack of oil, or fuel diluted oil can do that.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

HawkeyeGL1200
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Interstate
1981 GL1100 Interstate

Postby HawkeyeGL1200 » Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:31 am

Was the oil warm when you drained it?

Your description makes me think the crankcase may have been over-filled ... maybe not. It could be many things... thinner viscosity than recommended... contaminated with fuel, as you mentioned...

In either case, I'd do what themainviking recommended, and keep an eye on the level. If gas is getting in the fuel, you should see the level increasing.
I am wrong as often as I am right concerning what is wrong with someone else' motorcycle without having seen the machine in person. Guessing with limited information, as to the source of the trouble, is sketchy at best.

Hoosier Jack
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 Interstate

Postby Hoosier Jack » Sun Oct 05, 2014 5:09 am

I appreciate the replies. I'm pretty sure that there was gas in there. I saw that the petcock was left on ON and have heard of gas getting into the crankcase when left alone for a period of time. Although, I am not sure how that happens. Seep through the fuel pump maybe? Besides the old oil does smell of gas. Just scared me when it came out like that ; thought it was water.

At any rate I am going to put new oil in it with some MMO (maybe half a qt unless anyone has a better suggestion), run it for a couple hundred miles and then change it again. This motorcycle is beautiful, maybe the nicest 1100 I have seen. And it has been so nicely preserved, the paint looks new, no rust that I have found yet, new tires. Head to toe it is so nice.

redial
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Postby redial » Sun Oct 05, 2014 7:37 pm

That is a nice looker! Get that fuel-oil squared away, and you will have many happy miles. Have the other routine chores been done as well, once they are completed, you should have a grand ride.
Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

bstig60
Motorcycle: 1999 GL1500AC ASP
1999 Virago XV1100LC
1994 Time Out Camping Trailer

Postby bstig60 » Sun Oct 05, 2014 11:28 pm

Good idea to change the timing belts before you ride it. Better a few bucks and a little time rather than a ruined engine. What you described is typical of fuel contaminated oil. If I were you, I would change change the timing belts then add oil and some Seafoam and run it for a few miles, no more than a 100 and change the oil and filter again. Watch the oil level closely during this time to make sure you are not getting fuel into the crankcase again. A stuck or leaking float valve is not uncommon when a bike has set for a long period.
Bill

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Oct 06, 2014 1:07 pm

When the fuel tank is above a certain level, it does not require the fuel pump to flow fuel - it will gravity feed to the carbs (because the level of fuel is above the carbs). If the petcock is left open, fuel can move through leaky float valves and overflow down into the cylinders. From there it leaks past the piston rings and into the crankcase.

The best thing you can do is change the oil, and make sure you turn the petcock off whenever you park the bike.

Oh, and change the timing belts! :)

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”