Gl 1100 carb question

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
vaughn
Motorcycle: 1983 Gl 1100 Aspencade

Gl 1100 carb question

Postby vaughn » Sun Oct 12, 2014 12:43 pm

The far left carb bowls as you are sitting on the bike is leaking. Do I have to remove it from the bike to replace the gasket? Or can it be done with close quarter driver? I just need to repair it now for a few more weeks of riding. I plan on removing the whole thing and getting a rebuilt unit to put on over the winter. What is the best place for carb gaskets, dealer or online vender? Thanks

RBGERSON
Motorcycle: 98 SE GL 1500
had every year from 75 to 83

Re: Gl 1100 carb question

Postby RBGERSON » Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:02 am

You have to remove the carbs, best is Randakks $27 for four

http://randakks.com/

and best site for stock answers go read

http://www.randakksblog.com/site-map/
HAD LOTS OF GOLDWING 75-83
NOW INTO 1500'S..RIDING A 1998 SE

FAIR WINDS,
RB

vaughn

Postby vaughn » Mon Oct 13, 2014 3:56 pm

I am done riding for this year. 2 hours after I posted the question I was riding to a fall festival and had what the nurse said was Mini stroke. Was able to park the bike but could not speak right. Sister came and took me home and someone rode bike home for me.
Getting checked out tomorrow. Spell lasted 2 hours.
Thanks for the reply

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Oct 13, 2014 4:37 pm

vaughn wrote:I am done riding for this year. 2 hours after I posted the question I was riding to a fall festival and had what the nurse said was Mini stroke. Was able to park the bike but could not speak right. Sister came and took me home and someone rode bike home for me.
Thanks for the reply

Wow. You're lucky, it could have been so much worse - and people might never have known what happened.

Take care of yourself and get healthy. The bike will be waiting for you in the springtime.

HawkeyeGL1200
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Interstate
1981 GL1100 Interstate

Postby HawkeyeGL1200 » Mon Oct 13, 2014 6:56 pm

I hope your stroke episode won't set you back much. When I was a kid, my grandfather had a stroke on a Sunday. It paralyzed his entire right side. That Thursday evening, he was out dancing with the ladies... Grandmother had died years before, and Grandad was quite a lady's man (or rumor has it he was)...

Best wishes to your complete recovery.

vaughn wrote:I am done riding for this year. 2 hours after I posted the question I was riding to a fall festival and had what the nurse said was Mini stroke. Was able to park the bike but could not speak right. Sister came and took me home and someone rode bike home for me.
Thanks for the reply
I am wrong as often as I am right concerning what is wrong with someone else' motorcycle without having seen the machine in person. Guessing with limited information, as to the source of the trouble, is sketchy at best.

RBGERSON
Motorcycle: 98 SE GL 1500
had every year from 75 to 83

Postby RBGERSON » Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:36 am

Wow..get those artery's ream out ASAP..lucky you were able to stop safely!!
HAD LOTS OF GOLDWING 75-83
NOW INTO 1500'S..RIDING A 1998 SE

FAIR WINDS,
RB

f1xrupr
Motorcycle: 1980 gl 1100 Std. Vetter

Postby f1xrupr » Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:12 am

Wow!....Someone should say this....experienced rider no drought...stroke while riding, and lived?...Question-what is the survival rate of humans? Answer-ZERO! Some get a second chance-SOME DON'T! There is a lot of false teaching out there about salvation (mostly in the churches).
It's taught that it's by joining a church, water baptizem, being good, shaking the preachers hand, standing before a congregation and making some sort of false "coached" confession of faith,.....some of which is important" BUT, I have been studying scripture daily for years-not "reading the bible in a year" kinda thing...but studying it through...years!!
There is only one (1) way that I can find that you can see the kingdom of God...St John 3:3...Must be born again!
I'm not passing a offering plate, and preaching with fear what a organization tells me..."or else"!!!
I have nothing to gain here on earth by telling you this...
May I explain what born again is? I was a nasty mouthed drunk....experimented more than Bill Clinton (and inhaled)....a liar...other habits....I tried to quit....couldn't!!!!!....But, GOD HELPED ME, AND STILL DOES!!...I guess I'll stop there for now...
My exercise bike is a goldwing.

vaughn

Postby vaughn » Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:08 pm

Follow up. I had CT scan, blood work and arteries checked out and found nothing to have caused problem.
Was back to DR in Dec. and will be going again next month. May never know what caused it.
Have to pull carbs to install new carb bowl gaskets and will flush and fill with new antifreeze then get it out and polished up. Roads here in western Pa are mess after this winter and are full of pot holes.

bobbybiscuit
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100A Aspencade

Postby bobbybiscuit » Tue Mar 24, 2015 5:49 pm

Fortunately our local council has been spending money in getting our pot holes repaired over the last 2 years and resurfacing many roads. We have a sign outside the City which says 'Welcome to our Ocean City" - some clown stuck a large card over the word "Ocean" with the word "Pot Hole" - so it read welcome to our pot hole city. :D Fortunately in the South West of UK the winter has been very kind to us this winter so the number of pot holes are not so great as in previous years.

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”