Turn signal, headlight, and brake light not working

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
Wingman70
Motorcycle: 1982 Honda Goldwing GL1100 Interstate

Turn signal, headlight, and brake light not working

Postby Wingman70 » Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:30 pm

I have electrical issue which I have been tracing down for about a month and still not successful. My turn signals will blink manually but not automatically. When I apply the left turn signal, the left one goes out and stays out while the right side is at the running brightness and vice verse. I have applied power at the switch and the turn signal indicator, front and rear signals have powered on. Would the switch be bad or would it be something else like the turn signal flasher.....? I have installed the turn signal flasher ending in 27 and 28 (Forget the brand from Pep Boys for $15) the 28 one accepts LED's as well as having a hazard light option which I plan on adding with no difference in results. I do not have any LED's connected at this time.
I have tested the headlight with power directly from the battery to the light and the high beam and low beam both work properly. I have switched out the main wire harness as well as the turn signal/ headlight / horn extension and the same results. I was able to get the horn working so I know that wiring is good. Any idea how to test the turn signals for a blinking relay? Wold the signal canceler, flasher, or something else be affecting this? While I installed the main harness, I tested continuity on every wire as I connected them to and also labeled the old harness connections as I dismantled it. Where are the grounding points so I can look over those? It has been some great riding weather and I am missing allot of it cause this issue. Any idea what I am missing?

Thanks for any assistance !

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Re: Turn signal, headlight, and brake light not working

Postby virgilmobile » Mon Oct 13, 2014 3:36 pm

Yes it does sound like the flasher is open(bad)or improperly hooked up....
If I remember "X" is main(wh/gr) power and "L"(gray) goes to the switch
The flasher has power to it (wh/gr and a 15 amp glass fuse marked "int") with the key on and it's output goes to the selector switch (Gray).. there is also the green ground.

Your power to operate the headlight comes from the Kill switch....When "not cranking" the push start switch sends power to the hi/low switch (On a blue/white wire) then to the headlamps....This power wire going to the start switch is a Brown/Red..It is fused with a 10 amp glass fuse called "head"...

Your turn signal canceler system... It should have no affect on the flasher operation while first testing it.
The only bad one I had would click the switch back to center at the wrong time...I replaced it.

Wingman70

Postby Wingman70 » Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:42 am

I have been tracing the wires out and manually adding power to each wire from the switches to confirm the power is good all the way thru for the headlight, turn signals, and front brake light handle. If it is the turn signal relay/flasher, how could you test that part to confirm it is dead before you throw parts at it?

virgilmobile
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Postby virgilmobile » Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:07 am

Turn on the key and turn signal.short the gray wire to the white/green.this should light that turn signal front and rear.You would be bypassing the flash part of the flasher.

Wingman70

Postby Wingman70 » Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:15 am

virgilmobile wrote:Turn on the key and turn signal.short the gray wire to the white/green.this should light that turn signal front and rear.You would be bypassing the flash part of the flasher.

The flasher I was going to use is a Novita EP27 so I could add Hazard lights to it. The current wires I have are a gray wire, green, and black. One of them was not connected since it only had 2 prongs. Is the Flasher and the relay the same thing? Are there pictures I can compare so I know I am not getting the parts confused? Thanks.

virgilmobile
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Postby virgilmobile » Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:12 pm

I'm going by color codes on the schematic..I could guess that the black wire is switched ignition and gray goes to the turn signal switch.Turn on the key and probe the black wire it should be 12 volts.It feeds the flasher/turn signal relay(different wording from Japan).
Turn on the turn signal switch and jump the 12 volts to the gray wire.That turn lamp should light.
The unused wire should be green ground.Not needed on the simple flasher but used on the electronic one.
If you google images for the new flasher (novita ep27 wiring) you find how to hook it up.

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”