2 & 4 Carbs Dry??

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
zvacman
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 Interstate

2 & 4 Carbs Dry??

Postby zvacman » Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:11 pm

O.K. people this is messed up. My Randakks kit arrived today so I pulled the carbs and started the rebuild. The #2 and #4 carbs, floats and everything were as dry as a popcorn fart! The fuel lines were attached and had fuel in them but nothing in the carbs. I just got this bike and never really drove it (just a quick spin) but it didn't feel like only two carbs were working. There is quite a bit of rusty looking crap in the carbs (#2 & #4). What could cause this? Any help would be, as always, appreciated.

Thanks, Z

wda-83wing
Motorcycle: 83 interstate
79 1000

Re: 2 & 4 Carbs Dry??

Postby wda-83wing » Sun Jun 06, 2010 2:23 pm

most likley old dried up gas and some rust from the tank. yeah the super fine stuff will get passed the filter. i`ll bet that you`ll find the float needles are stuck too. must have sit for a long while on the side stand.

zvacman

Postby zvacman » Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:13 am

I started the rebuild over the weekend. The manual shows the main jet being 3 pieces, does anyone know if the lowest piece is pressed into the carbs? These came off of a running bike so I can't imagine that all four would be missing and it still would run.

Thanks, Z

leanjoe
Motorcycle: 82 GL1100a Aspencade

Postby leanjoe » Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:19 pm

Yeah,it protrudes into the throat. You can press it out from the top with a pencil or something soft.They will run on 2 cyl. My 75 did ,the I rebuilt the carbs and it was night and day. Also amazing how well it ran on two ! Ha

zvacman

Postby zvacman » Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:38 pm

So let me make sure I'm understanding this correctly. The lowest part of the main jet is pressed into the carb body if so I have all four of them. Is there any reason for me to remove them or can I just leave them be?

Thanks, Z

leanjoe
Motorcycle: 82 GL1100a Aspencade

Postby leanjoe » Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:41 pm

Mine wouldn't come out completely,so I left em. They are the top of the needle jet holder and,I just sprayed and cleaned real well down that passage.

stevenstrack
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100I

Postby stevenstrack » Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:17 pm

I'm getting ready to tear down and rebuild my carbs on my 83 GL1100I. I'm waiting on the master rebuild kit from Randakks that i ordered with the manual. I'm hoping this all goes smooth. I bought the bike 6 weeks ago from a neighbor and rebuilt all the brake calipers and master cyclinders, replaced the old rusted wheel bearings in both wheels and installed Metzler 880's on both wheels. After removing alot of corrosion, doing a little fiberglass repair to most of the fairings, and basic oil change, fuel filter change ect... i got her up and running. I have tried SEAFOAM and carb cleaner to try and make her run at idle, but she still will not idle so my next task is tearing into the carbs. I appreciate all the articles as hopefully this will prevent me from ruining something. I also ordered some gauges to rebalance carbs when i'm done but having some difficulty finding locally the 5mm intake manifold adapters. Any suggestions of where i can buy some of these 5mm adapter fittings?

zvacman

Postby zvacman » Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:30 pm

I bought the entire guage kit from JC Whittney for $33.74 including the adapters (item # 063199). They also have the tool for loosening the jam nut that has a screwdriver inside of it (item # 888813). Hope this is helpful.

Z

zvacman

Postby zvacman » Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:10 pm

After boiling, scrubbing, carb cleaner solvent this is what the two "dry carbs" look like when they sit for awhile. I can not get the rust off of these. Any solvents that can take care of this problem that anyone knows of?

Thanks, Z
Attachments

wda-83wing
Motorcycle: 83 interstate
79 1000

Postby wda-83wing » Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:32 am

dont for get too take the float needle seat out too. there is a fine mesh screen on the other side . it clips to the upper part of the seat. clean and reinstall.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:30 pm

stevenstrack wrote:I'm getting ready to tear down and rebuild my carbs on my 83 GL1100I. I'm waiting on the master rebuild kit from Randakks that i ordered with the manual. I'm hoping this all goes smooth. I bought the bike 6 weeks ago from a neighbor and rebuilt all the brake calipers and master cyclinders, replaced the old rusted wheel bearings in both wheels and installed Metzler 880's on both wheels. After removing alot of corrosion, doing a little fiberglass repair to most of the fairings, and basic oil change, fuel filter change ect... i got her up and running. I have tried SEAFOAM and carb cleaner to try and make her run at idle, but she still will not idle so my next task is tearing into the carbs. I appreciate all the articles as hopefully this will prevent me from ruining something. I also ordered some gauges to rebalance carbs when i'm done but having some difficulty finding locally the 5mm intake manifold adapters. Any suggestions of where i can buy some of these 5mm adapter fittings?

5mm vacuum adapter

Have a look at: How to synchronize your carburetors

Also, if the fairings are OEM Honda, they are made of ABS. Fiberglass will work, but it's not the best repair method. Buy some black ABS drain pipe at your local hardware store, and use a rasp to make a pile of ABS shavings. Mix the shavings in with some ABS cement until you get a thick black slurry. Smear this over the area to be fixed - it will bond permanently into the existing ABS and become part of the original part. Some people also add fiberglass matt or fibers into the slurry to add strength as well.

To reinforce areas, you can use entire sections of tube like I show here: How to add a trunk rack to your bike

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”