Replace Prop Shaft Coupler Grease Seal?

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
rkmason
Motorcycle: 1981 GL1100 Interstate

Replace Prop Shaft Coupler Grease Seal?

Postby rkmason » Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:00 am

I am reassembling the swingarm/drive shaft of my '81 GW and noticed that the coupler is a very light slip fit into the grease seal that rides on the coupler OD. The coupler also has two shiny wear rings where the seal lips have worn very slight grooves in the coupler OD.

My question; is it worth replacing this grease seal? The Honda seal OEM PN is obsolete and seems to be nearly impossible to find. Anyone know of a non-OEM source for this seal?

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Replace Prop Shaft Coupler Grease Seal?

Postby WingAdmin » Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:30 am

Was it leaking grease before you had it apart? You might be able to find a replacement aftermarket seal somewhere (or at least one that might work), but is it going to actually fix anything by doing so?

rkmason
Motorcycle: 1981 GL1100 Interstate

Re: Replace Prop Shaft Coupler Grease Seal?

Postby rkmason » Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:54 am

WingAdmin wrote:Was it leaking grease before you had it apart? You might be able to find a replacement aftermarket seal somewhere (or at least one that might work), but is it going to actually fix anything by doing so?

Well, whether it NEEDS to be replaced depends on what it is intended to seal. There was quite a bit of grease on the ID of the swingarm tube forward of the seal. Was that grease applied last time the swingarm/propshaft was apart (if ever) or did it squeeze by the seal from someone repeatedly overgreasing the zerk fitting on the hypoid gearcase? Is that seal supposed to keep grease out of the swingarm tube and in the propshaft coupler-to-hypoid gearcase joint area? If so, it's not doing a very good job of it. I think a fresh part would provide a little tighter seal around the propshaft coupler OD. It does not seem too critical though, since the swingarm propshaft tube is a sealed volume anyway.

I have checked some of the more common oil seal suppliers online and have not yet found a correct dimension (43x52x7mm) replacement seal

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”