New GL1100I owner/question

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
steve491
Motorcycle: 1981 GL1100 Interstate

New GL1100I owner/question

Postby steve491 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:03 pm

Hello All,
I've always been a gear head and in the last 10 years I've always participated in the elite message forums associated with whatever car/truck/bike I had. Right now I'm a member of a couple Nissan forums, a Mustang forum, and an F-150 forum. Just bought a used Goldwing and this seems to be the "elite" forum so here I am. Just got it off the trailer a couple weeks ago and finally washed it up today, pictures are coming soon. It's a 1981 Goldwing Interstate, seems to be all original, 34K miles, the last title dated 2008 verified actual mileage of 24K miles. A friend of mine got it from his brother about 2 years ago. It sat outside (under a cover) for about a year so a few parts are just starting to rust, but not bad at all. I changed the oil, pulled the air filter, poured in a quart of gas, sprayed a few quirts of starting fluid and it fired up slowly. It actually idled pretty good on 3 cylinders and picked up the forth so now the work begins. I ordered more filters, plugs, timing belts, master cylinder kit, etc.
Here's the question: Is the factory front fender plastic? I gave it a good bath and most of the paint on the front fender just blew off with a garden hose, damn!
Thanks, Steve

Oldbear
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100A Aspencade

Re: New GL1100I owner/question

Postby Oldbear » Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:32 pm

Welcome here.

The front fender is plastic and the paint has started to come off mine as well... but I view it as a badge of honor for years of service. That front end has cut air/rain/dust for 34,000 miles or 54,400 km for those of us north of the 49th.
My wife is the greatest - she won't let me sell my bike - I'm less grumpy when I ride...

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”