CD Player for an '83 Aspencade

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
PRACTIKALGUY
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100A Aspencade

CD Player for an '83 Aspencade

Postby PRACTIKALGUY » Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:07 pm

Does anyone have a good method for replacing the cassette player with a CD player on the Aspencade? It's the vertical style on the left side of the fairing.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: CD Player for an '83 Aspencade

Postby WingAdmin » Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:16 pm

PRACTIKALGUY wrote:Does anyone have a good method for replacing the cassette player with a CD player on the Aspencade? It's the vertical style on the left side of the fairing.

CD players are really not a good fit for motorcycles, which transmit a lot more bumps and vibration than cars. You'd probably be better off trying to fit a solid-state MP3 player of some sort, something with no moving parts.

PRACTIKALGUY
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100A Aspencade

Postby PRACTIKALGUY » Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:15 pm

Have you had any luck with the FM modulators which "hardwire" into the antenna lead? I have a battery operated one which transmits thru the air; it's okay, but not great. When the cassette deck wants to work, the cassette adapter isn't too bad. Are you suggesting running a MP3 player thru a small amp, then directly to the speakers? The 32 year old Clarions need to be upgraded, anyway.

profneilwalker
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100 Aspencade

Postby profneilwalker » Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:54 pm

I tried an FM modulator. (Not an FM transmitter, those are of course useless crap.) The FM modulator works well in my car but was kind of a wasted effort on the bike, since my radio is 32 years old and doesn't sound great anyway. (I think the capacitors dry out and degrade the performance.)

I use my iphone or an ipod, with front and rear speakers. Didn't cost much. Here's what I did:

I bought a cheap-ass little amp from China on ebay to amplify my ipod, put it in the left fairing pocket, and ran that directly to the front speakers. The radio controller and antenna are now removed, but I left the tuner installed inside the fairing. I use an ipod cable for the audio and to charge the ipod or iphone while music plays, and it lets me use my iphone gps while I ride too. (I use PocketEarth, which is cheap, has free maps, and doesn't need data.) I also put a pair of Boss MC400 speakers mounted on my trunk. The ipod audio is split, with one signal going to the cheap amp for the front speakers, and the other signal going to the Boss amp. I wired an illuminated switch in for the Boss amp on the fairing above the left pocket. The volume control for the back speakers is wire-tied to my handle-bars, and the volume for the front speakers is on the cheap amp.

I use a Ram mount X-mount to hold the iphone or ipod. It all works very well.

Boss speakers on trunk.
Boss speakers on trunk.

Cheap amp for front speakers: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-Hi-Fi-Ster ... 4d01323285
Boss amplified speakers: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Boss-Audio-MC40 ... 25917d7a97
Ram mount: http://www.rammount.com/Products/AppleM ... fault.aspx

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”