air shocks have pressure but squishy

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
fuzzyone
Motorcycle: 1980 gl 1100

air shocks have pressure but squishy

Postby fuzzyone » Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:24 pm

Ok so i ve had my oldwing (purposefully forgot the g) for about a month and a half. I love it. It had some old worn out coil over springs on it when i got it. So i swapped back to the air suspension. But i ve recently uncovered a problem. When riding with the gf it will just barely bottom out. So i check the pressure and added a bit of air to it. It was at 40 psi last night. Now today i hit the tiniest pothol and it felt like it just slammed into the pavement. I aired it back up. And when i got home it did it again in a pothole in my driveway. But still has pressure?? When standing at the back of the bike i can push it down and it just feels squishy. Can these be rebuilt or is there an upgrade i can go to?. I love to just have simple coil overs but i dont know which ones to get that will provide a firm but comfy ride. I like a stiffer suspension because im used to sport bikes. And the oldwings handle very nearly like one in my opinion. Didnt think i would be able to lean as hard as a can on it

fuzzyone

Re: air shocks have pressure but squishy

Postby fuzzyone » Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:27 pm

Also could i flush the fluid out of them and replace the fluid? Would that help? If so what kind of fluid do i need to use

Wilcoy02
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100 I purchased 3/16

1983 GL1100I frame with an 80 engine. poor boy installed with C-5 ignition--DIED in Grande Prairie Alberta Canada 8/15

98 valkyrie sold 8/16

Postby Wilcoy02 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:41 pm

shocks are old. rebuild with new springs. There is a diy on this and even shows how to build a thing for the springs out of lumber.
pressure alone is not enough.
replace with atv oil.

I had my front forks rebuilt and it kept the pressure up before the rebuild. Now it rides very smooth.

profneilwalker
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100 Aspencade

Postby profneilwalker » Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:24 pm

I had very much the same problem with my 82 GL1100 Aspencade. I replaced the fluid in the rear shocks (ATF), which made no difference at all. I then replaced the springs in the air shocks with progressives (and also in the forks), and that made all the difference. Not all that difficult a job. I got the parts from Bike Bandit.

Rear shock replacement springs: http://www.bikebandit.com/aftermarket-p ... -d?b=91856
Fork replacement springs: http://www.bikebandit.com/aftermarket-p ... s?b=246608
You'll also need new oil seals. In mine, the bumper inside the shocks for absorbing the impact of bottoming out had turned to black goo, but I hadn't ordered new ones so I just put it back together and hoped for the best.

The new springs make a big difference. The bike is now stable and stiff on it's side stand, rides better and corners much better. You won't regret it.

nw

Johnyy Smoke
Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100
Vetter. "Its like Deja Vu all over again".

Postby Johnyy Smoke » Sat Nov 01, 2014 8:10 pm

I had the same problem on my 1980, dump the original shocks and install progressive 412 non air shocks.
They are adjustable, much better than OEM, cheaper, and last forever.
I paid $300 on e-bay (best deal I found).
Well worth the price and effort. Regards, Johnny

profneilwalker
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100 Aspencade

Postby profneilwalker » Sun Nov 02, 2014 3:59 pm

Yeah I've heard good things about the 412 shocks. The only thing is I think you have to take off the saddlebags to adjust them. No big deal I guess if you don't do it often.

fuzzyone

Postby fuzzyone » Sun Nov 02, 2014 8:18 pm

I need a link for those shocks. Taking my saddlebags off isnt too bad. Its got the vetter bags so just a turn of a key and they come off.

bobbybiscuit
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100A Aspencade

Postby bobbybiscuit » Tue Nov 04, 2014 6:57 am

I keep losing the air out of my front shocks on my 1982 aspencade and I agree with the comments here its safer to get new springs. Bike does not handle badly though but bit bouncy on occasions.

The rear shocks have been replaced with hard coiled springs so bit hard sometimes. Bought them like that in case I take a passenger and go off with a load of luggage.

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”