Just not right

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
serensct
Motorcycle: 1983 gl1100 interstate

Just not right

Postby serensct » Wed Oct 29, 2014 3:42 pm

I have a 1983 Goldwing gl 1100. I have replaced plugs & plug wires, Had carbs rebuilt by pistol petes. New fuel filter, new fuel pump. Timing belts replaced, valves adjusted. New push & pull throttle cables. Heres the bikes issue, starts great, idols great runs great with one flaw... If I give it to much throttle it misses. Bike is fast and smooth as long as I am careful not to turn throttle to far. Been on several runs, bike will ride with the best of them just there gone on takeoff and I have to ease into it, makes no difference what gear, just cannot crack the throttle. I run 70 down the highway no missing. Good pick up, like I said unless I turn it to far. Other than this bike is wonderful. Any suggestions??? And thank you in advance, so far technically you guys have built this bike so far.

serensct

Re: Just not right

Postby serensct » Wed Oct 29, 2014 3:45 pm

just so you know... I do not run it with the Fishtale pipes. It has aftermarket turndown Goldwing pipes with a crossover tube. connecting the sides together.

SteveB123
Motorcycle: 1982 1100I, 60A Poorboy, MSD coil

Postby SteveB123 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 4:31 pm

Sure sounds the accelerator pumps aren't doing what they're supposed to....or maybe the coils are laying down under high cylinder pressures.
Current:82 GL1100 Interstate, 60 Amp Poorboy, MSD coil
Previous: 93 GSX1100F Katana
82 GL500 Silverwing

serensct

Postby serensct » Wed Oct 29, 2014 4:42 pm

Pistol petes are helping me with it as of the rebuild the accelerator. Pumps were part of there testing. Thats, i guess not the issue. Im gonna change my filter yet again and go from there. Not finding oem coils but can get a universal set im told works by the parts dapartment here at Iron pony in westerville ohio. There made by dyna coil.

serensct

Postby serensct » Wed Oct 29, 2014 4:47 pm

Also an issue i wonder about they rebuild and sync to a test engine. I slapped on my bike a zillion times better but they have not been synced on my motor. Prolly a dumb question in hind sight, but should they not be synced to my motor?

Johnyy Smoke
Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100
Vetter. "Its like Deja Vu all over again".

Postby Johnyy Smoke » Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:19 pm

Yes - they should. And make sure your valves are adjusted correctly before the sync.
Remember to adjust valves when your bike is stone cold.
Regards, Johnyy

HawkeyeGL1200
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Interstate
1981 GL1100 Interstate

Postby HawkeyeGL1200 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:00 pm

I wondered if your vacuum advance is working properly. If I understand how it works (correctly) on the 1100, it compensates for "rapid" speed changes, like you describe. Just wondering "out loud" and am probably wrong...
I am wrong as often as I am right concerning what is wrong with someone else' motorcycle without having seen the machine in person. Guessing with limited information, as to the source of the trouble, is sketchy at best.

serensct

Postby serensct » Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:13 pm

Im wondering also i intend to check that by repacing vacume hose cleaning the advance to see what happens im gonna change my coils regardless and have carbs synced and balanced to my bike. I sent those carbs to tenessee he did a great job i believe but for some reason my head says there synced and balanced. There so its good to go. I believe thats my mistake.

SteveB123
Motorcycle: 1982 1100I, 60A Poorboy, MSD coil

Postby SteveB123 » Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:29 am

serensct wrote:Pistol petes are helping me with it as of the rebuild the accelerator. Pumps were part of there testing. Thats, i guess not the issue. Im gonna change my filter yet again and go from there. Not finding oem coils but can get a universal set im told works by the parts dapartment here at Iron pony in westerville ohio. There made by dyna coil.

I used an MSD Neon coil.
No thunder without lightning.
Current:82 GL1100 Interstate, 60 Amp Poorboy, MSD coil
Previous: 93 GSX1100F Katana
82 GL500 Silverwing

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Postby dingdong » Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:13 am

You might want to check for vacuum leaks. Also synching the carbs probably won't help the problem you are having. Synching is more of an idle issue.
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

serensct

Postby serensct » Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:08 am

Thanks very helpful. I have no ideling problem. Its odd the bike actually runs super. Starts easy never needs choked. Its really odd at least to me as long as i accelerate slowly its never a problrm. Honestly i dont ride fast had it to 80 only once. Smooth on the highway but turn it to far to quickly and it either has a crazy miss constant or bogs down. Not even sure but its junk when it happens. Wont get out of its own way.

HawkeyeGL1200
1981 GL1100 Interstate

Postby HawkeyeGL1200 » Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:27 am

I figured your carbs are probably set correctly, since the re-builder has a great reputation, and people like that like to keep the reputation they worked so hard to get. I also eliminated (in my mind at least) fuel filter and fuel pump, since you stated they are both "new." Having the carbs synchronized while on your engine also tells me there is great potential for them to be balanced with one another and probably delivering fuel and air at about the same rate to each cylinder. So, I think you've got the fuel aspect sorted out. It *could* be a partially stopped up "new" fuel filter, if you've got a lot of trash in your tank... I say COULD because I wouldn't rule it out completely. Since fuel appears to be okay, mentally, I move to spark / timing... since you state that at idle and at road speeds under moderate load, the engine runs fine. That the problem only manifests itself under rapid acceleration leads me to think spark advance. That was kind of how I got to where I was.

Of course, there are probably a half a dozen more things it could be. I don't know anything about Dyna Ignition, and to be honest not all that much about electrical/electronic things in general. I'm just learning some basics, and am trying to understand how to apply what I'm trying to learn to the things I work on. If I understood the electrical system better, I might be more help as to solving your trouble. It is funny in a way, because my 1100 has been acting in almost the same way, lately, and I've been leaning toward replacement of my vacuum advance hose to the carb to see if it will help. I also considered replacing the mechanical fuel pump with an electric one, but haven't figures out where to wire it in (yet) if I choose to do that. It kind of pisses me off (pardon my choice of words) that you can't buy a diaphragm to replace the one in the fuel pump without having to replace the entire pump. It's a WEAR item, for Pete's sake, and it should cost 15-20$ to replace, not 130$ for a new fuel pump...

I also thought that maybe it's my main fuse. I have no particular reason to suspect the fuse, but there have been several members with VERY odd electrical issues that ended up being directly related to the dogbone fuse..

I do hope you'll figure yours out and post what it took to correct the trouble, so I can learn from you and perhaps sort mine out as a result of your success.
I am wrong as often as I am right concerning what is wrong with someone else' motorcycle without having seen the machine in person. Guessing with limited information, as to the source of the trouble, is sketchy at best.

serensct

Postby serensct » Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:49 am

Will keep ya posted. I do want to ad again pistol petes services did an absolutelu great job !!! Before the rebuild i had a very heavy bicycle with no pedals after I had me a good running Goldwing !!! I would and do recommend them. Pistol is also helping diagnos thru email to help solve the problem. Quality work with superb customer support services

Wilcoy02
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100 I purchased 3/16

1983 GL1100I frame with an 80 engine. poor boy installed with C-5 ignition--DIED in Grande Prairie Alberta Canada 8/15

98 valkyrie sold 8/16

Postby Wilcoy02 » Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:19 am

pm sent to you about vacuum

WINGER3
Motorcycle: current 2005 GL1800ABS previous GL1200A GL1500K GL1100A CB350 GL650I VFR1000 ST1100 GL1200A GL1500I + many other brands

Postby WINGER3 » Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:50 am

you can check the vacume advance with a mity vac, just connect it to the hose from the carb, or if you dont have one, put your lips to work on the end of the hose and suck. That sounds bad, but if you do, listen and you should hear the vacume advance working, if no sound then it is bad and needs to be repaired. good luck :mrgreen:
DON'T DESTROY IT-RESTORE IT

f1xrupr
Motorcycle: 1980 gl 1100 Std. Vetter

Postby f1xrupr » Sun Nov 02, 2014 8:09 pm

Interesting tab....if it was starving for gas, especially on all four cylinders, it would pop back like a popcorn popper! I have a 1980, and have a bad vacuum advance, and I plugged it, and it performs supper....smooth, strong, no flat spots, and it will redline-I'd like to fix it one day....
You might check your mechanical advance to see if it's stuck......but....you said three things that caught my attention....never needs choked-and missed crazy and boggs down. It sounds to me that your choke is stuck somehow in the "on" position, or maybe something blocking air flow....extra gloves laying on airbox?
Hey, that sounds simple, but in about 1981, my brother and I were riding-I was on a 1980? .GS550T, and he was speeding ahead of me, and I couldn't keep up (bogging). A cop pulled my brother, then I caught up :D . I told them I was having trouble-the cop let my brother slide, and told him to follow me home to be sure I made it (it was dark).
The next day when I trouble shot, I found receipt and instructions for a after market luggage rack/sissy bar I had installed on the road under my seat on my air box blocking air flow (that's the short version).
My exercise bike is a goldwing.

f1xrupr

Postby f1xrupr » Sun Nov 02, 2014 8:28 pm

Oh...by the way-I have an electric fuel pump. Under the tool compartment, there's a fuse box. In that fuse box on the right side, I think you'll find 2 Phillips head screws. One is neg and the other is pos. The pos is fused by the closest fuse. Those are assesory posts. You can hook a fuel pump there, but there should also be a oil pressure switch in line for safety. I'm not sure if the existing oil light switch is heavy enough to carry the GROUND on the fuel pump or not. A small pump is vary low amprage....

serensct

Postby serensct » Sun Nov 02, 2014 8:36 pm

It only misses or boggs down if i crack the throttle hard my choke is not an issue its brand new also no matter how fast your going it runs great unless you nail the throttle

f1xrupr

Postby f1xrupr » Sun Nov 02, 2014 8:56 pm

When it boggs, does it smoke or pop? Does it ever catch up to itself? If your coils are week, a small plug gap (.022) might help-it's a charge/discharge in relation to time sort a thing on coils. And, old spark plugs are funny...they can spark good laying on the engine, but sometimes can't under extreme pressure.
.....I'll bet it's something simple....easy to "overlook"...

Wilcoy02
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100 I purchased 3/16

1983 GL1100I frame with an 80 engine. poor boy installed with C-5 ignition--DIED in Grande Prairie Alberta Canada 8/15

98 valkyrie sold 8/16

Postby Wilcoy02 » Sun Nov 02, 2014 10:31 pm

Have you checked the fuel filter? gas line? Could be something is plugging up the works when you gun it.

HawkeyeGL1200
1981 GL1100 Interstate

Postby HawkeyeGL1200 » Mon Nov 03, 2014 10:51 am

Mine was acting about the same way you described. I bought a new set of plugs, gapped them and replaced them this morning. It cured what was wrong with mine.

I did notice you replaced your plugs. I suppose it is always possible you got a "BAD" plug that isn't producing enough spark under high load conditions. Other than that, I'm officially stumped.

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”