'82...The journey begins....

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
Ollyd
Motorcycle: 82 GL 1100

'82...The journey begins....

Postby Ollyd » Sat Nov 29, 2014 4:29 pm

Recently took delivery of an '82 GL1100. This is my first post since registering on this site but I have already availed myself of the very excellent DIY pages.
The bike is in good, but tired condition, to look at. It shows no signs of having been dropped or damaged but nothing is free from the overhaul journey.
It didn't have a battery in it so first thing was to see if the motor turned over. It did and all the lights worked. I hit the starter button and presto....it turned over very smartly but with the loud, and I mean LOUD knocking noise. Sounds very like metal on metal.
As the fuel tank has plenty of rust and and a vile paint stripper smell, I didn't even try to get it firing. The throttle cables seemed jammed but on closer inspection it seems the carbs are jammed somewhere. No brake action either...no brake fluid. Without going over all the finer points, this bike has 75K on the clock and is need over a major overhaul. The license plate expired in 2001 and the glove-box contained two entry receipts from Yellowstone...dated 1995. So it has been sitting idle for at least 15 years.
First major thing was to remove the fuel tank and de-rust it. I went the Vinegar option. Wow. worked very well, cost was $10 and result was pretty spectacular. I cant get fuel to flow from the gas petcock, so a new one is en route. The petcock is sealed so no overhaul available and a new one was pretty cheap. Have ordered a heap of new parts and have started doing things like master cylinder re builds, caliper rebuilds, new rotors and cables.
I'm thinking that while the fuel tank is out, I should take off the carbs and put a rebuild kit through those as well. As for the knocking? I'll probably pull the timing cover and check the belts and timing as a first stop, then work through until I can nail down a cause. I'm in Australia and this is my first GW. I've always admired them and the earlier models have become rather collectible. I have two other wings on the water, due late December, a '76 and another '82 with 5000 original miles on the clock. Mint condition. We'll see.
I've had plenty of motorcycles over the years and currently have a CB 750 chopper and a Victory Hard Ball. I'm very much looking forward to getting the Wing on the road and I do look forward to sharing the rebuild on this site.
Just back from the shipper...
Just back from the shipper...

Wilcoy02
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100 I purchased 3/16

1983 GL1100I frame with an 80 engine. poor boy installed with C-5 ignition--DIED in Grande Prairie Alberta Canada 8/15

98 valkyrie sold 8/16

Re: '82...The journey begins....

Postby Wilcoy02 » Sat Nov 29, 2014 6:52 pm

Welcome to the forum.
We all like pics so post your progress.

HawkeyeGL1200
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Interstate
1981 GL1100 Interstate

Postby HawkeyeGL1200 » Sat Nov 29, 2014 6:57 pm

Welcome to the site. I love a good restore-story! Please keep us up to date on your progress.

I figure an old motorcycle is like an old dog... you can't love one too much, because the reward is always greater than the work involved in taking care of one.
I am wrong as often as I am right concerning what is wrong with someone else' motorcycle without having seen the machine in person. Guessing with limited information, as to the source of the trouble, is sketchy at best.

RBGERSON
Motorcycle: 98 SE GL 1500
had every year from 75 to 83

Postby RBGERSON » Sun Nov 30, 2014 4:41 am

Tubes in the tank maybe clogged run an old speedo cable in..on a drill slow and easy the first tube is only 10" or so long the reserve is maybe 18?? Note those petcocks can be rebuilt drill out the rivet and replace with small bolt and nut or tap the hole to fit a small bolt. They rarely fail by clogging..leak yes..I suspect the issue is in the tubes.

where in OZ are you??
HAD LOTS OF GOLDWING 75-83
NOW INTO 1500'S..RIDING A 1998 SE

FAIR WINDS,
RB

urbanmadness
Motorcycle: 1982 Gl1100A Aspencade *sold
1989 GL1500 Aspencade

Postby urbanmadness » Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:49 am

any update on the bike?

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”