leaking carbs!!!!

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
ram11397
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100A Aspencade

leaking carbs!!!!

Postby ram11397 » Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:22 pm

Hi All,
It made be in the search section but i am not the smartest at research ...................... Started the bike, still having a few riding days left here in RI high 50's today!!! smelled gas and noticed gas dripping from the front carb left hand side (as you are sitting on bike) going to start with checking gas lines but I am thinking the worst. Could it be sticking needle or something like that its not shutting the flow of gas into the carbs guess looking for quick fix The carbs have been great on this bike always use seafoam and synced (by someone knew what he was doing)
Guess i am looking for ideas or confidence that i can do this!

Rick

Rick
1982 GL 1100 Aspencade

Johnyy Smoke
Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100
Vetter. "Its like Deja Vu all over again".

Re: leaking carbs!!!!

Postby Johnyy Smoke » Tue Dec 02, 2014 6:11 am

You can try taping on the carb bowl to see if you can free a stuck float, or, as was my case in this same exact problem, the gas cap vents were clogged and allowing a vacume to form in the gas tank and carb and thus causing the leak.
Clean the cap by using compressed air and some WD/40 to free up the vents.
Clogged vents can also cause your fuel pump to fail over time.
Let us know how it goes. Regards, Johnny

RBGERSON
Motorcycle: 98 SE GL 1500
had every year from 75 to 83

Postby RBGERSON » Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:40 am

Take the air box off and look into the plenum leaks can come from three places center line gasket of the plenum, any one of the o rings carb to plenum, or up through the jets on any carb. Once you know which it is you can work on a fix. A flashlight and paper in the plenum base may help to ID the leak source.
HAD LOTS OF GOLDWING 75-83
NOW INTO 1500'S..RIDING A 1998 SE

FAIR WINDS,
RB

ram11397

Postby ram11397 » Tue Dec 02, 2014 3:49 pm

thanks for the ideas i will work on them tomorrow, another 50+ weather in RI I will take everyday i can to ride in December lol

Rick
Rick
1982 GL 1100 Aspencade

ram11397

Postby ram11397 » Wed Dec 10, 2014 3:06 pm

Hi
Sorry for the delay getting back I checked all the fuel lines cleaned the gas cap no luck before i start taking stuff apart, might sound dumb to all you smart mechanical minded people,how do you get to the bowl to knock it just in case its a stuck needle? (its the front left carb )

Rick
Rick
1982 GL 1100 Aspencade

Johnyy Smoke

Postby Johnyy Smoke » Thu Dec 11, 2014 4:32 am

I just used a small wooden dowel , and tapped the end with a hammer.
Could be a stuck float, or worn needle or even a bad gasket.
All conjecture till you pull the carbs and take off the bowl. A close examination and a cleaning should show you whats up if tapping the bowl dosent help. Regards, Johnny

Hoosier Jack
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 Interstate

Postby Hoosier Jack » Thu Dec 11, 2014 6:10 am

I am assuming that the carburetors are leaking from the overflow tubes and if so that is generally due to stuck floats. As was suggested before it is possible that they can be freed by tapping the bowls. I have never been that lucky with the one exception of a newly rebuilt unit. The reason they leak is because junk gets into the passages and clogs things up. The float cannot move up and down freely and the carbs do their job and gets rid of the extra fuel. Another thing that this tells you is that there is most likely more junk in the carbs as well and that will influence the way the other parts work, like the jets, air cut offs, accelerator pump etc. Sooner or later all carburetors will have this problem and the only way to fix it is to take them off the bike, start to disassemble everything and get things clean again.

Now, if you have not done this before it can be quite daunting. The service manual will help you through it, but it would be nice if you could find someone who has done this before to help you through the process. Be sure to take a lot of pictures as the manual has crappy pictures, or find a good tutorial. Be very organized and separate all of the little parts in a way you will know how to put them back on, like all the jets together, everything for each carb, etc. When it is completely disassembled then the carb bodies can be cleaned in a number of ways; ultrasonic cleaner (the local dealer probably has one) dipped in Simple Green (which is what I do) overnight, or just start spraying carb cleaner through every hole you can find (and there are many) then follow up with compressed air in all of holes. Either way, you are going to have to blow every thing out anyway. The jets should be dipped in the same fashion, or just replaced with the correct sizes. Then when you put it all back together the floats will still leak and that's when you know you have adjusted them wrong. Off they come again. The whole process is not really that hard, and most guys can do it, but it is sure easier the next time. I've done it a bunch but I am having problems with getting needle jets out of mine. Uggh. Always something.

Good luck, I'm sure you can get help here since there are some very knowledgeable people here. But I imagine that your riding season is over. Sorry for the length but I had a lot to say. :D

RBGERSON
Motorcycle: 98 SE GL 1500
had every year from 75 to 83

Postby RBGERSON » Thu Dec 11, 2014 7:31 am

There is no overflow vent on Goldwing carbs from at least 75 to 83, a good guide to carb rebuilding

http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12168
HAD LOTS OF GOLDWING 75-83
NOW INTO 1500'S..RIDING A 1998 SE

FAIR WINDS,
RB

ram11397

Postby ram11397 » Thu Dec 25, 2014 10:36 am

Hi
Sorry haven't reported back to be honest been working my butt off, any free time scared to tackle problem !

Rick
Rick
1982 GL 1100 Aspencade

Johnyy Smoke

Postby Johnyy Smoke » Thu Dec 25, 2014 6:16 pm

It is a bit of a daunting project, but if you rebuild each carb one at a time, it isn't so bad.
I did mine using the Randakks kit and guide and all went well. Not cheap to say the least ($300) but well worth the education gained.
It is winter,a perfect chance to read up on it for awhile and then do the task.
Knowledge is power- and breeds self confidence. Regards, Johnny

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”