Side Stand


Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
vethill
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:37 pm
Location: Grass Valley, CA
Motorcycle: 1980 GL Interstate Goldwing

Side Stand

Postby vethill » Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:15 pm



Does a 1982 Goldwing IS side stand fit a 1980 Goldwing IS?
I need to replace my stand on my 1980 and have only found an 1982 stand, so that is why the question.
Thanks for your help GW friends



User avatar
MJSantos
Posts: 317
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:19 pm
Location: York, Pa
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100I
1983 GL1100 Custom
2002 Shadow
1983 Honda Magna V45
Contact:

Re: Side Stand

Postby MJSantos » Thu Jun 10, 2010 11:21 am

Looking at the parts manual, it appears that the same stand was used for all. However there is a second listing for everthing up to the 82 Interstate Then then it was used on the 82 Apsy and all of the 83s. The area code for this one is ( ED,G what ever that stands for.

50540-463-000 - Listed for all
50540-463-610

vethill
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:37 pm
Location: Grass Valley, CA
Motorcycle: 1980 GL Interstate Goldwing

Re: Side Stand

Postby vethill » Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:13 pm

Thank you very much for the information. I will follow up with you suggestion and let you know how I come out.
The bike recycle place here in town has five styands for 82's but was not sure if they would fit my bike.
Thanks again.
Vethill

User avatar
WA9FWT
Posts: 828
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2009 12:19 pm
Location: sheboygan WI U.S. A.
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100A Aspencade Now a Trike
1975 Cb750K sold

Re: Side Stand

Postby WA9FWT » Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:44 am

vethill wrote:Does a 1982 Goldwing IS side stand fit a 1980 Goldwing IS?
I need to replace my stand on my 1980 and have only found an 1982 stand, so that is why the question.
Thanks for your help GW friends

Why did you have to replace it in the first place ?

I found my bike a 1982 A was leaning a bit to far one day when i could hardly get it up right. I discovered a nut was missing
on the back side. I had just checked that not to long ago when I had it removed and was Lubeing the assy.I replaced the nut again and all was fine.This time it was the Blue Loc-tite on that nut.

WA9FWT Phil

vethill
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:37 pm
Location: Grass Valley, CA
Motorcycle: 1980 GL Interstate Goldwing

Re: Side Stand

Postby vethill » Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:16 pm

WA9FWT Phil,
I bought another side stand at the local motorcycle salvage yard (new ones are no longer available from Honda) and it looks the same as what I have. The bolt that came with it looks also the same but, DID NOT have a nut on the back of the bracket for that bolt. My current stand still has the nut and everything else, but my MC machanic thinks that the bracket that holds the stand in place has been stretched some how, and may need to rewelded to make the stand strong again.
The bike leans over why to far with the current situation and I'm afraid that it's going to fall or blow over. Now I would have areal mess on my hands as you know.
I'm having the work done next week and I'll let all of you know the out come and what was needed to correct the problem.
Vethill

User avatar
WA9FWT
Posts: 828
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2009 12:19 pm
Location: sheboygan WI U.S. A.
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100A Aspencade Now a Trike
1975 Cb750K sold

Re: Side Stand

Postby WA9FWT » Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:28 pm

vethill wrote:WA9FWT Phil,
I bought another side stand at the local motorcycle salvage yard (new ones are no longer available from Honda) and it looks the same as what I have. The bolt that came with it looks also the same but, DID NOT have a nut on the back of the bracket for that bolt. My current stand still has the nut and everything else, but my MC machanic thinks that the bracket that holds the stand in place has been stretched some how, and may need to rewelded to make the stand strong again.
The bike leans over why to far with the current situation and I'm afraid that it's going to fall or blow over. Now I would have areal mess on my hands as you know.
I'm having the work done next week and I'll let all of you know the out come and what was needed to correct the problem.
Vethill

It will be intersting to find out just how you fixed the problem. One could weld a 1/2" plate on the bottom of the stand and I'm sure that would help.I think the shoulder bolt hole gets longated over time, and every thing just gets sloppy.

I sat in a parking lot that day when I was about to ask a little old lady to help me up right my bike, and I'm not kidding!!
Thats when I discovered the Nut was missing.. Keep us posted as to how you are going to remedy the problem.

WA9FWT Phil

vethill
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:37 pm
Location: Grass Valley, CA
Motorcycle: 1980 GL Interstate Goldwing

Re: Side Stand

Postby vethill » Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:43 pm

Phil, you are right and I do believe that is the problem. I'll keep you posted, and thanks for your advise.
Vethill (Gary)

dportzer
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat May 01, 2010 8:42 am
Location: Rensselaer, New York
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100

Re: Side Stand

Postby dportzer » Sat Jun 26, 2010 6:29 pm

I have a problem of a different sort with my 82 GoldWing GL1100 Sidestand. It holds the bike so vetical, it is very difficult to find a place to park it. Any ideas how to put a little more "lean" into the Sidestand?

vethill
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:37 pm
Location: Grass Valley, CA
Motorcycle: 1980 GL Interstate Goldwing

Re: Side Stand

Postby vethill » Sat Jun 26, 2010 7:39 pm

dportzer,
Before I had the side stand problem, I realized my bike had been lowered about 4-5" so the side stand gave the bike a little lean to the left and close to upright. Once I put the Goldwing shocks back on the bike was when I found the bike leaned over way to much. As was suggested the mounting bracket hole may be stretched and we will need to weld a peice around the hole and recreate the hole to the correct size.
It could be in your case the bracket was bent up creating the stand to move the position of the bike in a straight position.
I'm bringing my bike to this ole boy who knows what must be done to correct and have the bike positioned correctly on the side stand.
I'll let you know it comes out and will also ask him the solution to the bike being in a to much upright position as well.
Gary (Vethill)

User avatar
WA9FWT
Posts: 828
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2009 12:19 pm
Location: sheboygan WI U.S. A.
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100A Aspencade Now a Trike
1975 Cb750K sold

Re: Side Stand

Postby WA9FWT » Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:26 pm

dportzer wrote:I have a problem of a different sort with my 82 GoldWing GL1100 Sidestand. It holds the bike so vetical, it is very difficult to find a place to park it. Any ideas how to put a little more "lean" into the Sidestand?

This is one I have never heard of, unless some one changed the length of the stand ( wrong one ) or they welded a extra peace on the bottom of the stand.Are the correct size tires on ?

Remove the locking nut that holds the shoulder bolt on and see what happens...
WA9FWT Phil

User avatar
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Posts: 17047
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:16 pm
Location: Strongsville, OH
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Side Stand

Postby WingAdmin » Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:20 pm

The problem is usually not the side stand...it's tired old springs in the rear (and sometimes front) shocks, that are allowing the bike to sag down. When I replaced the rear shocks on my bike this year, I was stunned at how much farther it leaned over when on the side stand. I hadn't even thought of that before.

User avatar
WA9FWT
Posts: 828
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2009 12:19 pm
Location: sheboygan WI U.S. A.
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100A Aspencade Now a Trike
1975 Cb750K sold

Re: Side Stand

Postby WA9FWT » Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:05 pm

WingAdmin wrote:The problem is usually not the side stand...it's tired old springs in the rear (and sometimes front) shocks, that are allowing the bike to sag down. When I replaced the rear shocks on my bike this year, I was stunned at how much farther it leaned over when on the side stand. I hadn't even thought of that before.


Do you pressurize the rear shocks ?, I never have on my Aspencade. I wonder if the rear shocks get that weak they collapse that much it will afect the stance angle.

WA9FWT Phil

User avatar
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Posts: 17047
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:16 pm
Location: Strongsville, OH
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Side Stand

Postby WingAdmin » Sun Jun 27, 2010 10:45 pm

I do pressurize my shocks - a tiny bit for just me, a bit more if my wife is along. But even at 0 PSI, the new Progressive shocks sit up quite a bit higher than the 30-year old OEM shocks.

User avatar
MSGT-R
Posts: 177
Joined: Thu May 07, 2009 10:19 am
Location: Utah
Motorcycle: 13 F6B
81 GL1100 (gone)

Re: Side Stand

Postby MSGT-R » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:34 pm

Amen to that!

I had to make a custom stand to reduce the lean (especially when empty). Bad idea; these beasts are terribly heavy, and the custom stand eventually got bent when someone let the bike "drop" onto the side stand at the dealer (it was on consignment). I had to take a too-short e-bay stand to the wrecking yard to match something up. They were not sure which wing it came off of.


Don't spook the road sheep.


Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”




Who is online

Users browsing this forum: cardinal and 1 guest