Sea foam debate

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
Mspinner
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100 Apencade

Sea foam debate

Postby Mspinner » Thu Dec 04, 2014 6:41 pm

Ok, I'm in my 50's and haven't owned a bike in 20 yrs. when I last had a bike we didn't have sea foam that I remember . I just purchased a 83 aspencade and am ready to put it up for the winter. We have 71,000 miles and runs pretty good for the little bit that I got to ride. She starts a little hard but once started and warmed up, you just tap the starter and fires right up. Idles great.
Now for the debate.....I'm putting it up for the winter. Sea foam is all the rage. I was going to put some in the oil run it for awhile then change the oil. Then a buddy told me since I won't be able to run it like it should be ran when adding the foam it won't be able to do the job it's suppose to. So add a half of a can to the oil, run it for a little till it gets warm! Then just let it sit in there untill spring time and change the oil then. Also to pour the other half of can in the gas tank let it run ( while your working the oil with the foam in it ) and leave it in there. For a stabilization base in the tank.
When it's all warmed up and foam is worked throught the oil and carbs, turn the gas off and let it idle till she dies (kinda sad). Then change the oil before the first ride in the spring. Now my ? Is, would this hurt anything ? Clutch? All this liquid madness in the engine and gas tank? Is it safe? Any suggestions would be Helpfully. :)

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Sea foam debate

Postby WingAdmin » Thu Dec 04, 2014 7:11 pm

Mspinner wrote:Ok, I'm in my 50's and haven't owned a bike in 20 yrs. when I last had a bike we didn't have sea foam that I remember . I just purchased a 83 aspencade and am ready to put it up for the winter. We have 71,000 miles and runs pretty good for the little bit that I got to ride. She starts a little hard but once started and warmed up, you just tap the starter and fires right up. Idles great.
Now for the debate.....I'm putting it up for the winter. Sea foam is all the rage. I was going to put some in the oil run it for awhile then change the oil. Then a buddy told me since I won't be able to run it like it should be ran when adding the foam it won't be able to do the job it's suppose to. So add a half of a can to the oil, run it for a little till it gets warm! Then just let it sit in there untill spring time and change the oil then. Also to pour the other half of can in the gas tank let it run ( while your working the oil with the foam in it ) and leave it in there. For a stabilization base in the tank.
When it's all warmed up and foam is worked throught the oil and carbs, turn the gas off and let it idle till she dies (kinda sad). Then change the oil before the first ride in the spring. Now my ? Is, would this hurt anything ? Clutch? All this liquid madness in the engine and gas tank? Is it safe? Any suggestions would be Helpfully. :)

Seafoam has been around, pretty much unchanged, since the 1930's, so I'm pretty sure it was around when you last were riding. :)

Definitely don't leave the existing oil sitting in there all winter long. What you should do is add half a can of Seafoam to the oil, then ride (or at least run) the bike gently for at least half an hour, longer would be better. Then, while the oil is still hot, drain it, and refill with fresh oil. The combination of heat and Seafoam will drain out all the sludge that the Seafoam dissolves out of the engine.

You're 100% fine doing exactly what you wrote with the gas - Seafoam works as a decent fuel stabilizer, so pour it in the tank, FILL THE TANK the rest of the way with gas, run the engine, turn the gas off and let the engine die. You'll know your carb float bowls are empty. You don't want to leave a partially-filled gas tank over the winter.

Have a read through: How to winterize your motorcycle

Mspinner

Postby Mspinner » Thu Dec 04, 2014 7:40 pm

Well back then, I never herd of it. Thanx for the link. Just wondering why this stuff wouldnt help with it staying in the oil untill spring? Seems like it would help keep the moisture out and really do a god job with breaking down any sludge and crap that's in there . Dose it harm anything? Or dose it only activate when it's warm?

Wilcoy02
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100 I purchased 3/16

1983 GL1100I frame with an 80 engine. poor boy installed with C-5 ignition--DIED in Grande Prairie Alberta Canada 8/15

98 valkyrie sold 8/16

Postby Wilcoy02 » Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:44 pm

You did not hear much about sea foam back then. We actually got real gasoline. Now with the corn added to all the gas it turns into water. Which rusts while the bike is sitting. Now you hear about sea foam because it helps keep the gas stable.

As far as the oil you want to get the gunk out while it is hot. When adding SF to the oil make sure you drain some oil out so you do not overfill the oil level. Which is why you should ride it about 50 miles to get the SF to clean out where all the oil goes. Letting it sit with all the gunk in it will only lead to problems down the road.
When you do add new oil make sure it is for wet clutches and do not use regular car oil.

You asked what we would do and most of us will tell you to drain the old oil out before putting your ride to sleep.

Mspinner

Postby Mspinner » Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:39 pm

And that I will do....thanx Wil

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:57 pm

Not to mention the used oil itself is quite corrosive, and you don't want that sitting in your engine all winter.

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”