Star Tron fuel treatment vs seafoam

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
Mspinner
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100 Apencade

Star Tron fuel treatment vs seafoam

Postby Mspinner » Tue Dec 09, 2014 9:07 pm

Ok guys..I posted a couple days back I just purchased a 83 aspy. I'm going to winterize this weekend. I'm going to run seafoam in the oil and go for a long ride then change it out like you guys have said. So, I go to the Honda dealer and pick up a filter and was talking to the service guy about what I was going to do with the seafoam and how I was planning on running some through my gas also and use it for stabilization and help clean out the carbs before I put it up for the winter. Well he throws me this bottle of Star Tron at me and says to use this in the gas. He gives me the whole story on what ethonal is doing to carbs like mine and all his fellow riders swear by this stuff. Anyone here use this? Is it better then seafoam? Would like to here what everyone has to say.....Thanx, Mark

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Star Tron fuel treatment vs seafoam

Postby WingAdmin » Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:09 am

Star Tron is 95% naptha, whereas Seafoam is 25-35% naptha and 40-60% pale oil, as well as isopropyl alcohol. Naptha is a strong solvent, and would work well cleaning out deposits.

I definitely wouldn't use Star Tron in your engine oil, and I don't know that I would use it for storage in fuel - as a treatment, but not sitting over the winter. But for a treatment to clean out deposits it should work well.

harvey01
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800

Postby harvey01 » Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:39 pm

I have use Stabil to treat gas for years. In my lawn equipment I treat every gallon that goes in and just don't have carb problems over the winter or any long period of no use. I also treat the gas in the bikes in the fall and keep them properly filled with Stabil all winter. Again no Carb problems.

I do put some Seafoam in the gas In the bikes in the spring to clean things out. Star Tron is also a great cleaner and is recommended by the local Suzuki dealer. They have one tech that spends his spring rebuilding carbs for folks who did not treat their gas before winter.
harvey
Ride Safe and Ride Often

Mspinner

Postby Mspinner » Wed Dec 10, 2014 7:09 pm

Thanx for the replies....I will be putting seafoam in the oil. I just wanted a good carb cleaning before putting the bike down for these few nasty winter months . Where I live, all the gas is 10% ethanol. It sounds like the StarTron is a good marriage when useing gas that has ethanol in it. I hear the ethanol does very bad things to these old carbs. I just want to do the right thing for I do not wish to damage anything. there are good reviews and bad reviews for everything. You guys wait until I try and change my tim belts in a couple months . I'm not the handiest guy and am scared to death of not doing things right. You will hear a lot of stupid ?'s from me I'm sure. Thanx again, Mark

Hoosier Jack
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 Interstate

Postby Hoosier Jack » Thu Dec 11, 2014 7:03 am

I use Seafoam for the gas and it has always worked as advertised, but do we really need to put it in the oil? I usually do an oil change after the winter hibernation anyway. It's just four months.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:25 am

Hoosier Jack wrote:I use Seafoam for the gas and it has always worked as advertised, but do we really need to put it in the oil? I usually do an oil change after the winter hibernation anyway. It's just four months.

You should really be doing the oil change BEFORE the winter hibernation. Otherwise you're leaving the acidic oil sitting in the crankcase, eating away at your engine innards, all winter long. See: url=http://goldwingdocs.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=24818

That said, the Seafoam engine oil treatment isn't meant to be left in all winter. It is meant to be added to the crankcase oil, the engine then run (gently - i.e. gentle riding with no hard acceleration) for 1/2 hour to an hour, then drained while still hot and filled with fresh oil again. The solvents in the Seafoam will dissolve chunks of sludge out of the engine and leave it sparkling clean inside. :) Honestly, I was astounded at the crud that came out with my engine oil the first time I did it.

HawkeyeGL1200
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Interstate
1981 GL1100 Interstate

Postby HawkeyeGL1200 » Thu Dec 11, 2014 2:20 pm

I put oil in the crankcase and so far haven't resorted to adding anything to it to "clean" up the oil sump... I tried Star Tron on the recommendation of two of my co-workers who swear by it, and I didn't notice any change in the way my motorcycles run or perform while using it... I didn't do a search to see what's in that product, but if it's mostly naptha, I don't know exactly what that means...

If I were "storing" my bike over the winter months, I'd do exactly what ADMIN recommended in regard to changing the oil and filter, and I'd get some of that Stabil, fill the tank, add the fuel stabilizer (about twice as strong as recommended) and then ride the motorcycle for half an an hour or so.... park it in the garage and top off the tank with fresh gas and stabil with the petcock shut off and then I'd not worry about it until spring... maybe I'd take the battery out and put it on a battery tender.
I am wrong as often as I am right concerning what is wrong with someone else' motorcycle without having seen the machine in person. Guessing with limited information, as to the source of the trouble, is sketchy at best.

Wilcoy02
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100 I purchased 3/16

1983 GL1100I frame with an 80 engine. poor boy installed with C-5 ignition--DIED in Grande Prairie Alberta Canada 8/15

98 valkyrie sold 8/16

Postby Wilcoy02 » Thu Dec 11, 2014 4:01 pm

I put the sea foam and ATF in the gas tank. Run for 1/2hour on the road. Get home fill the gas tank to full and then shut the petcock off and wait for the engine to starve itself. The atf will "oil" the carbs

Take the oil plug off and let set for an hour of more.

Mspinner

Postby Mspinner » Thu Dec 11, 2014 8:38 pm

Yep... Got a battery tender. What is ATF? And with the bike on its center stand, all the oil will drain out?

HawkeyeGL1200
1981 GL1100 Interstate

Postby HawkeyeGL1200 » Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:24 pm

ATF= Automatic Transmission Fluid.

Mspinner wrote:Yep... Got a battery tender. What is ATF? And with the bike on its center stand, all the oil will drain out?
I am wrong as often as I am right concerning what is wrong with someone else' motorcycle without having seen the machine in person. Guessing with limited information, as to the source of the trouble, is sketchy at best.

Mspinner

Postby Mspinner » Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:40 pm

In the gas? That's ok?. Wow I know nothing!

HawkeyeGL1200
1981 GL1100 Interstate

Postby HawkeyeGL1200 » Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:03 pm

A lot of people put a lot of different things in their fuel. I add a little 2-cycle oil to mine nearly every time I fill the tank. It's the kind used for outboard motors, not for weed-eaters... apparently there's a difference... who knew? The TC-W3 (I think that's how it's designated) for outboard engines produces less ash, or at least I'm told that.. and provides a little lubrication. I decided to try it out on my older motorcycle engines because I believe our 10% ethanol doped gasoline to be "dryer" than gasoline that doesn't have ethanol in it.

ATF probably acts much in the same way, although I'm no petro-chemical expert, and a lot of the things I do are done because my gut tells me it may help. Another product, Marvel Mystery Oil (MMO), which is often recommended by folks as a fuel and crankcase additive appears to have a similar consistency to ATF. I've used MMO in my fuel and I can't tell any difference between it and the 2-cycle oil as far as how my engine sounds and runs with one or the other added to fuel. Since I can buy 2-cycle oil for about 12$ a gallon, that's what I've been using. In my GL1100 adding the 2-cycle oil tends to improve my fuel economy a little bit (1-2 MPG at best) and when I add it to the fuel in the GL1200, I can't notice any net gain the fuel economy. My improved fuel mileage may be completely imagined, as it is very hard to always fill the tank exactly in the same way (air temp, fuel temp, all that jazz) so there may be no gain in mileage... the engine does appear to run quieter with the 2-cycle oil added, but that could also be my imagination... Perhaps since I want it to have a benefit I think it does.

Another benefit I'm hoping for is counteracting the negative attributes of the ethanol in the fuel.. it's water-loving nature and the tendency of ethanol in gasoline to turn perfectly proper functioning carburetors into paper weights in a very short period of time. I don't know if that expectation will be met, but mine seem to be stable and pretty good functioning carbs and I don't tinker with them very much.

I add about 4 ounces of 2-cycle oil to 5 gallons of gasoline. The article I read that initially convinced me to try it said to use less, but I've settled on a certain amount and just stick with that. If I mix it a little heavy, the exhaust has some bluish smoke in it... so I back off a little for a tank or two. The blue smoke is kind of my canary in a coal mine warning that I've dosed the gas a little too well. It doesn't seem to hurt anything other than making some smoke. I also do not notice nearly as much smoke on start-up if the bike has been on the side stand for a day or two. I used to get enough oil smoke out of the pipes to fog for mosquitoes in the neighborhood. No the most I get is a slight puff and maybe a bit of blue from the two cycle oil, and that's about it.

Wilcoy02
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100 I purchased 3/16

1983 GL1100I frame with an 80 engine. poor boy installed with C-5 ignition--DIED in Grande Prairie Alberta Canada 8/15

98 valkyrie sold 8/16

Postby Wilcoy02 » Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:11 pm

After you get the engine hot from riding put it on the center stand. Pull the oil drain off and take the oil filter off. Let set for an hour.
Put the oil filter on the center bolt of the canister that holds the filter. There should be the little gasket(replace), spring, washer, then the filter.
Replace the seal around the filter canister. Tighten the canister onto the engine. After you have it about half way on the tabs on the canister will hit two pegs on the engine. Make sure you align the tabs in between the pegs and tighten to specs.

Put oil plug in the motor. Fill with oil.

I always put atf in every tank of gas 5-6oz.

Mspinner

Postby Mspinner » Fri Dec 12, 2014 4:58 am

Wow...who knew all these different things could be added to the gas. Thanx Hawk for a very informetted post. All I want is to keep this bad boy running decent. Do the right things. I guess most of this will be learning on my own. Lubing the carbs sounds right. Thanx again

HawkeyeGL1200
1981 GL1100 Interstate

Postby HawkeyeGL1200 » Fri Dec 12, 2014 6:05 am

There are so many products that are marketed as fuel additives that it makes my head spin. Truth is, I don't know what they do, if in fact they DO anything, and I'm not sure that what I fo idn't bad for my engine over the long term. That's one reason I don't say "YOU" should do this or that... I think experimenting a little is something that probably won't hurt anything, within reason, and I'm always looking for a little benign advantage over adding nothing to my fuel... you know, a little better running, a little better fuel mileage, and maybe even a little longer engine life. We are talking about bikes that are 30-odd years old in many cases (or more) and they weren't designed or built to burn alcohol.

Mspinner wrote:Wow...who knew all these different things could be added to the gas. Thanx Hawk for a very informetted post. All I want is to keep this bad boy running decent. Do the right things. I guess most of this will be learning on my own. Lubing the carbs sounds right. Thanx again

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”