kill switch stuck???

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100A Aspencade

kill switch stuck???

Postby newomij » Thu Dec 11, 2014 3:07 pm

I'm trying to start my 1100 Aspencade but it won't fire up. It sounds like it wants to kick over. When pressing the starter button, I get the same 'trying to start' feeling with the kill switch in either position. Is it possible for the kill switch to stick in the 'kill' position even when toggled to the 'run' position?

If the kill switch is an unlikely cause, what is the procedure for removing spark plugs to ensure there is spark to each cylinder? Forgive me here. I've never done this. I've done a lot of other mechanics on vehicles and this 82 Aspencade but have never checked for a spark at the plug.

Thanks for responses!!!

Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100 I purchased 3/16

1983 GL1100I frame with an 80 engine. poor boy installed with C-5 ignition--DIED in Grande Prairie Alberta Canada 8/15

98 valkyrie sold 8/16

Re: kill switch stuck???

Postby Wilcoy02 » Thu Dec 11, 2014 3:49 pm

Take a spark plug out and lay it next to the frame Or something to ground it with the coil wire still attached. Turn it over and you should see a spark . Best done in the dark.

If the switch is stuck get some electrical spray and spray the switch with a lot of spray. Try to keep the dripping off the paint.

Since you have the can in hand do the same to the turn signal switch also. This will not help with the kill switch but you are already there.

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”