On board air compressor won't work

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
Mspinner
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100 Apencade

On board air compressor won't work

Postby Mspinner » Fri Dec 12, 2014 7:35 pm

83 aspy. On board air compressor won't work. I figured tomarrow while I'm draining my oil, I would take a look at it so any suggestions would be great. One more thing to check off my list. I have tried while the bike is running, and off. Key is in the "on" position. Neither front or back buttons seem to work. I don't get a reading on the dash for air pressure. It is suppose to share the temp digi but switch to air pressure when I press the controls for the compressor. The temp gage works fine. The compressor does not turn on at all. Seems like the controls for the compressor are not working. The only thing I have checked so far are the fusesin the fuse box. All are good. Ware should I start? Thanx, mark

82aspen
Motorcycle: 82 aspencade

Re: On board air compressor won't work

Postby 82aspen » Fri Dec 12, 2014 10:41 pm

find the wires going to the compressor and see if you get twelve volts when u are supposed to,

if yes, good bet the compressor is shot,

if not. need to follow the wires to the switching and figure out why,

you could also test the compressor separate and alone by jumpering 12v to it

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Postby virgilmobile » Fri Dec 12, 2014 10:53 pm

If the digital gauge does not change to pressure,the computer either does not see the command from the button or the computer does not see the bike is in neutral.
Is the neutral lamp on?
The computer(digital dash) sends the output to operate the relay that operates the pump.
It first must change from its normal display to pressure when the button is pushed.

Mspinner

Postby Mspinner » Sat Dec 13, 2014 4:35 am

Yes the neutral light is on. I'll do a little more playing today when I get out of work. I only spent 15 min on it. My guess is because the dash doesn't switch over when pressed, it's something with the switches or not senseing the N light. Was hopeing this might be a common problem and you guys could direct me in the right direction

Mspinner

Postby Mspinner » Sat Dec 13, 2014 6:29 pm

Got it!! It was the push switches on the dash. Took the cover off, cleaned the contacts and springs put back together and bing! The display showed the pressure and I filled them up, then emptied them and filled them half way. They seem to hold the air too. So happy i don't have to deal with those. I can cross that off my list. Thanx for the replies

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”