Quick Introduction

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
Aussie81Interstate
Motorcycle: 1982 CX500 Turbo (restoration project)
1981 GL1100 Interstate (sold)
1988 GL1500

Quick Introduction

Postby Aussie81Interstate » Sat Dec 13, 2014 3:02 am

Hi Guys,

I've only been a member here for a very short time, and have read as much as I can of the forum posts relative to my recent bike purchase.

I've been riding for quite a while, and have had several bikes over the years -starting with a CB450 twin - late 70's model, then a very long period of not riding (I think people put it down to having a family etc - same issue here). Got back into riding several years ago by buying a project bike 1975 Honda 750 Supersport - F0 model..great bike and I spent way too much money on bringing it back to life. Moved on to a few others, 1986 GSXR1100 (another project bike - but wisely moved it on to a keener restorer), 1984 Yamaha XJ600. Then I purchased a 1981 CX500 Custom for $500 - and have had some great miles on it over the last 5 years - about 30,000 km's, have towed a trailer with this bike - but have found I am not entirely comfortable on longer rides so decided to look for a larger bike. Found a 1981 GL1100 Interstate advertised on a site called Gumtree (probably something similar to craiglist) - Gumtree is owned by ebay - but it is free to post items for sale etc.

After some discussion with the seller, I had a friend visit and take a video of the bike - and arranged to buy it, after viewing the video and talking to my friend. After about a week I had the bike in my possession, and rode it home from the delivery depot (about 2 km's from home).

Have had a fair bit of cleaning (lots more to go), and ordering a few parts along the way (timing belts), and the inevitable trace the wiring problems associated with any bike of this age.

But I tend to ramble - anyway- here I am - and here is a link to my photobucket account - it also has a few videos of the bike so far.

oops the video is still loading I just took - so will post a link shortly

hope this works:

http://s870.photobucket.com/user/81cust ... t=3&page=1

Next job is to do the timing belts, adjust the valves, then a carb sync - then hopefully register it and sell my CX500 after a month or so of riding the new Wing.

cheers

Charlie

:)

HawkeyeGL1200
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Interstate
1981 GL1100 Interstate

Re: Quick Introduction

Postby HawkeyeGL1200 » Sat Dec 13, 2014 12:13 pm

For me, it is always a good thing to see new "faces" on the message boards. Based on your bio, I expect you've already got plenty of experience with working on and riding older bikes, so the GL1100 should feel pretty good to you when you're in the saddle.

I've pretty much decided that model is my favorite motorcycle, ever. I've owned a few, ridden a few more, and overall I like it as well as anything else I've ever straddled... well, with an engine in it anyway..

It' great to see, also, another member from Australia. I've always wanted to visit OZ, because I'm a bit of an animal nut at heart, and the thought of seeing so many wonderful animals (or at least the potential) in the wild has always appealed to me... second only to Africa's plains on my places that I must visit one day. Time's getting a little shorter for me to make those trips LOL

Anyway, I hope you find this site as friendly, informative and enjoyable to read through as I do... and I'd offer you a warm welcome.
I am wrong as often as I am right concerning what is wrong with someone else' motorcycle without having seen the machine in person. Guessing with limited information, as to the source of the trouble, is sketchy at best.

Aussie81Interstate
1988 GL1500

Postby Aussie81Interstate » Sat Dec 13, 2014 5:02 pm

Thanks Hawkeye,

Much appreciated.

Australia is a wonderful country - and the amount of wildlife is astounding if you want to spend time travelling to see some of our local fauna. Beware it is not always pleasant - because of the ever presence of flies and other annoying pests- but overall a great place to live.

When I rode this bike home from the depot - it felt right straight away - big - solid - comfortable. When I get a few little bugs sorted out - I think it will be an ideal bike for me.

cheers (and beers)

Charlie

HawkeyeGL1200
1981 GL1100 Interstate

Postby HawkeyeGL1200 » Sat Dec 13, 2014 5:14 pm

I wish I could retire and get a job "removing" non-indigenous wildlife in Australia... I'd think I died and went straight to Heaven. The only wildlife you have in Australia that would creep me out is the number of spiders that can hospitalize or kill... not a big fan of spiders. Snakes don't bother me...not even venomous ones.
I am wrong as often as I am right concerning what is wrong with someone else' motorcycle without having seen the machine in person. Guessing with limited information, as to the source of the trouble, is sketchy at best.

Aussie81Interstate
1988 GL1500

Postby Aussie81Interstate » Sat Dec 13, 2014 7:42 pm

You are right on both counts - not a fan of spiders myself.

Feral introduced species into Australia have decimated many native species to some points near extinction.

We have, pigs, foxes, rabbits, goats, camels, water buffalo, european carp, cats, wild dogs, and last but not least - cane toads.

You need to be careful - one of, if not the most deadliest species of snakes is in Australia - called the Death Adder - you get bit - hope you are real close to a hospital.

here you go
http://www.avru.org/general/general_mostvenom.html

A few spiders worth mentioning - red back, white tailed spider, funnel web - all nasty.
http://www.australiangeographic.com.au/ ... dangerous/

cheers

happy camping

HawkeyeGL1200
1981 GL1100 Interstate

Postby HawkeyeGL1200 » Sat Dec 13, 2014 8:34 pm

Yeah, I am familiar with most all Australian snakes, at least by reputation, since exportation of reptiles out of Australia has been banned for decades now. I have an acquaintance who works with venoms, and anti-venoms around the world, and he's educated me some about native snake species in Australia. I'd rather mess with a Death Adder than a King Brown LOL...

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”