GL1100 Tires?

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
N2PPN
Motorcycle: Me on my 1981 GL1100 at Jones Beach in 1984

GL1100 Tires?

Postby N2PPN » Thu Jun 10, 2010 7:47 pm

OK, I've read a lot of posts here on the forums today on tires.

I have a couple of "poll" questions for all you GL1100 owner/operators:

1. What Brand tire(s) do you have on your Wing?
Front?
Rear?

2. How many miles on them?

3. Would you recommend them/buy them again?

As previously stated in my "Resurrection" postings, I will be replacing the rubber on my old girl even though there is plenty of tread left on both the front and rear tires. I just don't know how much structural deterioration has taken place over the past 10 years sitting in my garage losing air ever so slowly.

As I get closer to "once around the block" time, I would really appreciate hearing from everyone on how they like their tires... I have heard good things about the Metzlers and am leaning towards them, but have an open mind towards other tires. I know that load ratings can be a factor (I remember reading an article in a long forgotten issue or "Rider" magazine that at an Americade gathering, spot checking of full dressers revealed MOST were running ABOVE the load ratings of their tires) and would also like to keep that in mind when selecting "new shoes" for my old girl...

Rich
(picture of me is from when I was a whole lot younger and had hair!!!)

Don't Worry,
Ride Happy!

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: GL1100 Tires?

Postby WingAdmin » Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:05 pm

You can see a little bit about the Avon Venoms I put on my 1100 in this thread. I've got about 2,000 miles on them now, and I absolutely LOVE them. I've got tons of leeway for dealing with extra load, they are very sticky and great in the curves, and from what I have read pretty well everywhere, they wear evenly for a very long time.

They are a little bit more expensive than most tires, but I will definitely be using them again!

lake_harley
Motorcycle: GL1100

Postby lake_harley » Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:48 pm

I put a pair of Shinko 230 Tourmasters on my project GL1100I after I had done quite a bit of shakedown running on the old set of tires, after getting the bike back on the road. The bike felt like it lost 100#, it handled so much better with the new Shinko's. I have put over 1000 miles on them, including a super-slab trip up to WI, ridding 2-up with my wife. No bad manners to report, even on machined/grooved pavement or in a couple light showers we ran through. The load rating is higher than I could ever load my bike. The best part is they were $128.00 for the PAIR from Motorcycle Superstore, with free shipping! I paid a local tire shop $35.00 to mount them (I took them off the bike) and that included discarding the old tires and installing new stems. I balanced them myself before I put them back on the bike. I had found reports on the 'net of riders getting great mileage from the Shinko's. They look great too, IMO. I would buy another set in a heartbeat.

Lynn

N2PPN
Motorcycle: Me on my 1981 GL1100 at Jones Beach in 1984

Postby N2PPN » Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:49 am

OK,

I wound up purchasing Metzler's... I ordered the ME880 for the front and the ME88 for the rear. Both of these tires are rated excellently so I know I won't be disappointed with them. I will post back from time to time to report on how they handle and wear.

I had already purchased them by the time Lake_Harley had posted about the Shinko tires, so I wasn't considering them in my research on replacement tires. I will include them next time I need tires.

Rich
Don't Worry,
Ride Happy!

bamadave
Motorcycle: 2006 GL 1800

Postby bamadave » Tue Jun 22, 2010 3:10 pm

Motorcycle Superstore is great to do business with.
I put over 11K miles on 2 rear Dunlop's and 18K on the front Dunlop on the '06 Kawasaki 900 I had.
I ordered front/rear Dunlop's for my GW from Motorcycle Superstore because of previous good business with them.

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”