Help! massive electrical problems

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
goldenb3ar
Motorcycle: 1981 gl1100i Interstate

Help! massive electrical problems

Postby goldenb3ar » Sat Dec 27, 2014 8:10 pm

hey guys, im new to the board and need your help.
i have a 1981 gl1100 im rebuilding, using a 1980 parts bike, and my only good wiring harness, well, obviously seems no good.
when the entire thing is connected and plugged into the main plug at the solenoid, it lights up without the key in the switch set to on. even worse, it does this without the key switch plug connected at all. when it first started doing this, it was the neutral light that came on first, and if you pressed the starter button, it would switch to the other lights, oil pressure and high beam. if you try to shift the bike into neutral, the main fuse blows. ive already run through a bunch of fuses searching for the short, but im all out of ideas, other than get a new harness. any ideas, any one? :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:

"Burn rubber, Not your soul"- Biker Boyz

"if speed kills, im the walking undead"- me

HawkeyeGL1200
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Interstate
1981 GL1100 Interstate

Re: Help! massive electrical problems

Postby HawkeyeGL1200 » Sun Dec 28, 2014 10:35 am

I don't know what is wrong with your electrical system... but, there have been several others with phantom electrical issues that make no sense who discovered the main fuse was cooked in the fuse holder, although it "looked" good under visual inspection... so, since I'm not an electrical kind of guy, I'd recommend starting there, and moving to the battery terminals, all grounds, all spade (plugs in) connectors... because it sounds to me like your battery is trying to feed through the frame somehow, making things more or less work backwards.

When working on old motorcycles, all wiring is suspect until proven otherwise.
I am wrong as often as I am right concerning what is wrong with someone else' motorcycle without having seen the machine in person. Guessing with limited information, as to the source of the trouble, is sketchy at best.

goldenb3ar

Postby goldenb3ar » Sun Dec 28, 2014 12:25 pm

well, ive checked the power flow, unless my starter circuit is installed wrong, im thinking its either definitely the harness, or the instrument cluster, as its the one piece that turns on and blows the fuse.

HawkeyeGL1200
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Interstate
1981 GL1100 Interstate

Postby HawkeyeGL1200 » Sun Dec 28, 2014 12:30 pm

WingAdmin and several of the others here are FAR better with electrical troubles than me. I expect one or more of the smarter guys will weigh in soon... it just sounds like the spurious electrical issues experienced by several others with degraded dog bone fuses, that couldn't tell until they removed them and the fuse crumbled in hand.

goldenb3ar wrote:well, ive checked the power flow, unless my starter circuit is installed wrong, im thinking its either definitely the harness, or the instrument cluster, as its the one piece that turns on and blows the fuse.
I am wrong as often as I am right concerning what is wrong with someone else' motorcycle without having seen the machine in person. Guessing with limited information, as to the source of the trouble, is sketchy at best.

f1xrupr
Motorcycle: 1980 gl 1100 Std. Vetter

Postby f1xrupr » Sun Dec 28, 2014 4:22 pm

Ok...here is a stab in the dark...it sounds to me like a diode malfunction (rectifier), or, wires crossed (someone swaped out a factory plug for spade connectors and plugged them in wronge), or, a melted plug shorting out from within. Does it still have a 8 wire rectifier?...there are some aftermarket ones that don't.
My exercise bike is a goldwing.

f1xrupr

Postby f1xrupr » Sun Dec 28, 2014 4:32 pm

Hey...you might check to be sure that the battery cable colors are correct. (- on bat actually hooks to the frame). Reverse polarity will cause diode malfunctions. Please pardon my simplicity....

goldenb3ar

Postby goldenb3ar » Mon Dec 29, 2014 10:13 am

i finally checked the wiring diagram and traced from the main fuse circuit on up, and suspect its the rectifier as well as the wiring harness, it appears the bikes been dropped before it was stripped and repaired, and the guy i got it from must have not realized the rectifier and harness were damaged. i checked the main battery wires, they are fine and properly placed.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Fri Jan 02, 2015 2:21 pm

goldenb3ar wrote:i finally checked the wiring diagram and traced from the main fuse circuit on up, and suspect its the rectifier as well as the wiring harness, it appears the bikes been dropped before it was stripped and repaired, and the guy i got it from must have not realized the rectifier and harness were damaged. i checked the main battery wires, they are fine and properly placed.

If you disconnect the regulator/rectifier, do the problems go away?

goldenb3ar

Postby goldenb3ar » Fri Jan 02, 2015 3:36 pm

ive replaced the regulator rectifier, but i havent been able to check it due to removing and disassembling the instrument cluster, which i suspect was part of the problem

goldenb3ar

Postby goldenb3ar » Sun Jan 18, 2015 4:21 pm

WingAdmin wrote:
If you disconnect the regulator/rectifier, do the problems go away?

i disconnected the reg-rect, and it did not go away
this is what happens when cluster connected
this is what happens when cluster connected

this is what happens when its connected, with the reg rect removed

after a while the oil light goes out. im not sure why its on, i changed the oil, as well as the engine being rebuilt

the key switch connector is removed

key switch removed, cluster connected. the oil light had gone out
key switch removed, cluster connected. the oil light had gone out

cluster reconnected, oil light on, neutral light on
cluster reconnected, oil light on, neutral light on

Any ideas anyone? maybe i should scrap the harness and get a new one?
Attachments
cluster disconnected
cluster disconnected

f1xrupr

Postby f1xrupr » Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:48 am

Hey-I think you're on to something! Can you hook the ignition back up, and make the oil and neutral lights go off by unhooking their sending units?...if you can, that's good! Now, can you unhook the ignition again, figure out witch pronges in the ignition harness plug "turn the bike on"?.....hook them together somehow (ie hotwire it) and turn the bike on ?. If you CAN achieve all of the above, my bet would be a partially shorter ignition switch-maybe road salt-maybe a citrus baced cleaner?....contamination within the ignition switch...please be advised that the neutral light may not go off when you put it in gear...that is another common problem.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:40 am

It could be a short in the harness (and I suspect that's what it may be). However it could also be a connector that has been wired incorrectly.

f1xrupr

Postby f1xrupr » Mon Jan 19, 2015 4:43 pm

Just to clarify-a semi-conductant such as a contaminant in a electrical circuit could act as a resistor, and only allow a fraction of the potential to pass through, such as, only enough to burn "two small bulbs".....just to clarify....thanks.

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”