Timing Marks on Sprockets and motor casing

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
Aussie81Interstate
Motorcycle: 1982 CX500 Turbo (restoration project)
1981 GL1100 Interstate (sold)
1988 GL1500

Timing Marks on Sprockets and motor casing

Postby Aussie81Interstate » Sun Dec 28, 2014 8:08 am

Hi Guys,

Just getting ready to replace the timing belts. I have degreased the area and found the Up marks on the Left and Right Sprockets, and the timing marks and have them lined up against the case with the timing marks set on T1 (could be a mm or two out looking into that hole). The one shown as the L is sitting perfectly in line with the mark, however the R seems to be off I would estimate to be nearly half a tooth or a bit more - is this normal or how it should be - or do I need to adjust this in some way?

I'll show the photos of what I mean - it is also very difficult to get a decent camera shot of the area without distorting the view.

Thanks for your replies - I'll probably change them tomorrow sometime weather permitting.
Attachments

f1xrupr
Motorcycle: 1980 gl 1100 Std. Vetter

Re: Timing Marks on Sprockets and motor casing

Postby f1xrupr » Sun Dec 28, 2014 8:47 am

It may appear to be a tiny bit off, but with the new belts it MIGHT appear closer. Figure-if you change it one notch ether way, it will be way off! You may find 2 marks on each sprocket about 5? teeth apart-MARK the correct mark BEFORE you disasemble. Wrong mark bends valves! You will find that you MUST hold one (I think just one) of the cam sprockets against valve spring tension to reasemble-that is ok. Don't rush ...even-light to medium tention...talk it out...no distractions???
My exercise bike is a goldwing.

Aussie81Interstate
1988 GL1500

Postby Aussie81Interstate » Sun Dec 28, 2014 8:15 pm

Well,

After some initial hiccups - not least of being trying to remove the valve cover on the left hand side of the bike - seemed impossible - but was remedied by a 12lb hammer - and bending the engine crash bar back to where it should have been.

Valves are all within spec - maybe fractionally tight on the intakes of .10mm and an easy feeler gauge fit on the exhaust valves of .13mm.

Removing the old belts:
Before doing anything - mark the crankshaft pulley and engine case with some white marking paint or something similar - it will move if you don't have the driven pulleys locked down tight. Then it gets you wondering if you have stuffed things up.

All lined up on the sprocket marks - and I would recommend to anyone doing this to adopt the method of locking the large timing belt driven pulleys with appropriate sized "G" clamps and sockets in the pulley holes to stop them moving. When removing the belts they have a tendency to move off their mark - clamping in place resolves that problem.

Putting the new belts on was overall pretty easy if you release the tensioners and lock them out of the way when installing the new belts and then releasing them to take up the tension again.

Happy that job is done - now to put the bike back together. :)

Aussie81Interstate
1988 GL1500

Postby Aussie81Interstate » Mon Dec 29, 2014 3:15 am

Oh

quick note to the above post

with the new belts - the teeth comparison between the old and new belts- didn't take a photo - sorry - there was definite wear on the old belts - and if you note my comments on the right driven pulley as maybe being a few mm off the mark - this is now sitting perfectly in line...so I'll take this as being a bit of wear on both belts.

Should I now readjust/check the valve gap on cylinders 1 & 3? - because if the timing mark was out one or two degrees - would this put the valve timing out and the gap as well?

Rolled the motor over at least three times from the front crank - and no binding of any sort - so I believe I have successfully changed timing belts - now to put a sticker on the inside of the belt covers with the details of when and the mileage done.

Johnyy Smoke
Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100
Vetter. "Its like Deja Vu all over again".

Postby Johnyy Smoke » Mon Dec 29, 2014 5:34 am

I would readjust the valves.
It is something that should be checked once a year. Regards, Johnny

Aussie81Interstate
1988 GL1500

Postby Aussie81Interstate » Mon Dec 29, 2014 5:50 am

Thanks for that Johnny Smoke,

I'll be checking them again first thing tomorrow morning. Nothing like checking once or twice - before re-starting. :)

Charlie

f1xrupr
Motorcycle: 1980 gl 1100 Std. Vetter

Postby f1xrupr » Mon Dec 29, 2014 7:21 am

I would put the sticker somewhere easier to view.
My exercise bike is a goldwing.

RBGERSON
Motorcycle: 98 SE GL 1500
had every year from 75 to 83

Postby RBGERSON » Mon Dec 29, 2014 7:45 am

rotate by hand before using the starter!!!
HAD LOTS OF GOLDWING 75-83
NOW INTO 1500'S..RIDING A 1998 SE

FAIR WINDS,
RB

SteveB123
Motorcycle: 1982 1100I, 60A Poorboy, MSD coil

Postby SteveB123 » Mon Dec 29, 2014 7:53 am

If you've checked the valve clearance and it's ok, button it up and go for a ride. Changing the belts or relative position of the cam to the crank will have no effect on the clearance.
Current:82 GL1100 Interstate, 60 Amp Poorboy, MSD coil
Previous: 93 GSX1100F Katana
82 GL500 Silverwing

Aussie81Interstate
1988 GL1500

Postby Aussie81Interstate » Mon Dec 29, 2014 7:55 am

already rotated at least three times by hand - no issues. Might put the sticker under the false hood or on top of the air cleaner box, it would easily be seen by anyone opening this area up.

4wred
Motorcycle: 82 goldwing aspencade
82 aspy turned naked (sold)
89 suzuki gsx 1100F

Postby 4wred » Mon Dec 29, 2014 8:05 am

Just curious,you said you had to degrease before starting the work.There shouldn't be any grease or oil in that area.From your pics it does looks nice and clean in there.When I changed my belts I wrote with a sharpie on the inside of the covers the mileage and date and put sticker under the false tank lid.That way if the sticker falls off someone will be able to tell when they were replaced.

Aussie81Interstate
1988 GL1500

Postby Aussie81Interstate » Mon Dec 29, 2014 8:20 am

Unfortunately I didn't take a photo of the "before" condition - but it was pretty filthy with oily residue. It wasn't that thick but it was over the entire area, but it washed off pretty quickly using some cheap aerosol degreaser. it was mainly on the sections behind the driven pulleys and tensioners - up against the engine casing. This might also be from oil leaking somewhere else - possibly through the oil seals of the cams? The whole area is clean now - so will be keeping a check on it if further build up occurs. I also believe the belts not possibly changed or looked at for several years - The bike has not been registered for the last 4 years, and I cannot get further information on its history prior to this period. I'll be checking the integrity of the seals - now glued down to the covers, and make sure they do seal properly.

Johnyy Smoke
Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100
Vetter. "Its like Deja Vu all over again".

Postby Johnyy Smoke » Mon Dec 29, 2014 4:59 pm

SteveB123 wrote:If you've checked the valve clearance and it's ok, button it up and go for a ride. Changing the belts or relative position of the cam to the crank will have no effect on the clearance.

? The timing marks were off, so possibly the valves were adjusted to compensate, as mine were.
If I had started my bike after changing the belts - it would have been junk. The timing marks were off by 2 teeth. I rotated by hand and didn't get very far, readjusted the valves and all was fine. Also helps when you do a carb sync.
Taking into consideration the unknown history of the bike, seems to me to be cheap insurance. Regards, Johnny

Aussie81Interstate
1988 GL1500

Postby Aussie81Interstate » Mon Dec 29, 2014 6:40 pm

I have rechecked the valves on 1 & 3. and found that the inlets were spot on- and the exhaust for 3 was a fraction loose, probably .15mm so now adjusted to .13mm...didn't do 2 & 4 because the valve cover is a bitch to get off and on again. But after checking them all yesterday - I'm happy and confident they are fine. The cam pulley for 2 & 4 was always on the mark it was 1 & 3 that was off 1 or 2 degrees.

cheers

SteveB123
Motorcycle: 1982 1100I, 60A Poorboy, MSD coil

Postby SteveB123 » Tue Dec 30, 2014 8:03 am

Johnyy Smoke wrote:
SteveB123 wrote:If you've checked the valve clearance and it's ok, button it up and go for a ride. Changing the belts or relative position of the cam to the crank will have no effect on the clearance.

? The timing marks were off, so possibly the valves were adjusted to compensate, as mine were.
If I had started my bike after changing the belts - it would have been junk. The timing marks were off by 2 teeth. I rotated by hand and didn't get very far, readjusted the valves and all was fine.

Valves are adjusted on the base circle, the relative position of the cam to the crank is immaterial.
Current:82 GL1100 Interstate, 60 Amp Poorboy, MSD coil
Previous: 93 GSX1100F Katana
82 GL500 Silverwing

Oldbear
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100A Aspencade

Postby Oldbear » Tue Dec 30, 2014 11:20 am

Valve adjustment and carb syncing are never bad things to do. Both are easier thanks to this website; both help our old bikes to keep running well. Anytime spent with your hands on your bike will help you get more familiar with it. You'll notice abnormalities sooner and your bike will like the extra attention.
My wife is the greatest - she won't let me sell my bike - I'm less grumpy when I ride...

Aussie81Interstate
1988 GL1500

Postby Aussie81Interstate » Thu Jan 01, 2015 8:33 pm

Well,

all is good - after reinstalling the radiator with new hoses, new O rings on the thermostat and pump flange, filling up the radiator - nearly forgetting to hook up the electric fan, I turned on the ignition - kill switch to off and turned it over several times - no loud bangs or other noises, turned to run - started up fine. A little bit smokey where the valve covers were off, and have dripped a bit of oil onto the exhausts. Burped the radiator with only fresh water in it - might do this again - to help flush it as well, then drain and fill it with the 50/50 coolant mix.

happy camper - not afraid of timing belt changes anymore, you just need to follow the instructions supplied on this site. A big thank you to all those who have gone before and supplied the information. :D

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”