Fuel pump installation

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
pschweitzer
Motorcycle: 1983 Goldwing Interstate GL1100I

Fuel pump installation

Postby pschweitzer » Sun Jan 04, 2015 5:59 pm

This may be a dumb question, but is there a gasket between the black spacer and the head on a GL1100i fuel pump? I didn't remember one when I took off the fuel pump, but the top end kit had 3 gaskets for the timing belt plates and what was stated as the fuel pump gasket. The gasket that fit the left timing belt plate sure looked like it would also fit the fuel pump as well. I have a left over gasket that is the same as the right plate and doesn't seem to match anything left to reassemble. (oh yeah this is a Vesrah top end kit - head gaskets were OEM though). I am in the middle of the reassembly and wondering if I needed to order another gasket for the fuel pump.

redbug
Motorcycle: 1983 Gl1100I
1986 Harley FLHT

Re: Fuel pump installation

Postby redbug » Sun Jan 04, 2015 6:43 pm

No sir, only the one thick gasket, same as on mine and as in the parts breakdown.
" Ridin on Tulsa Time "

pschweitzer

Postby pschweitzer » Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:01 am

Thanks for that info and what I thought, but before I made a mistake I thought I would ask. Now I can finish making this machine look like a bike again instead of a pile of parts in marked zip lock bags.

tomos
Motorcycle: Gl1100 a 82
suzuki gs400e 82

Postby tomos » Mon Jan 05, 2015 3:06 pm

Hi,do not be in a hurry ! !
Black spacer does have two gaskets .I have installed new pump and genuine Honda spacer
which came with gaskets attached to it.l believe that extra gasket is for attachment to the head.
Do not omitt to install gaskets!!
It is gasoline you're dealing with .
Regards Zoran

tomos
suzuki gs400e 82

Postby tomos » Mon Jan 05, 2015 3:31 pm

Here are some photos of fuel pump with old and new spacer .Gaskets are clearly visible ! !!
I'm sure that someone else had removed old gaskets as gaskets become old and unusable .
Regards Zoran
Attachments
Look closely  at  the  part package , gasket  is a  red color
Look closely at the part package , gasket is a red color
Compared  old and new pump with  spacers  attached
Compared old and new pump with spacers attached

redbug
Motorcycle: 1983 Gl1100I
1986 Harley FLHT

Postby redbug » Mon Jan 05, 2015 4:42 pm

boy oh boy oh boy, I goofed up again. I was thinking black spacer between pump and head. the elbow. man I almost blew up your engine. I need to go get gaskets. sincere apologies, doesn't help much I know. My new handle is Schultz. apprentice for life. watch, listen, read. already two all shoots down and that's too many. least let me know when engine comes to life and how well she's running. :oops:
" Ridin on Tulsa Time "

pschweitzer

Postby pschweitzer » Mon Jan 05, 2015 4:47 pm

Thanks Tomos. That gasket to the fuel pump I know. I am looking at the horn part that fits over the spline gear. There is no gas there and very little oil so the spline got a good coat of Moly paste. There is a black spacer on that end as well and about the same size as the other end where the fuel pump attaches.

tomos
suzuki gs400e 82

Postby tomos » Mon Jan 05, 2015 5:47 pm

Same applies for that spacer as well.In this case gaskets are green colour. Regarding splines all that moly paste will end up in the engine oil.There is a sufficient lubrication by engine oil,so please remove it .
Regards Zoran

pschweitzer

Postby pschweitzer » Sun Jan 11, 2015 12:48 pm

When I cleaned up that end the spacer was green and not black. It was also in good shape so I did not need a new one. It is not listed as a gasket in any of the diagrams and finally found it as the tach cover spacer. As for the moly 60, everything I read stated to use some assembly lube or moly paste. I have a light coating on all the rocker journals and this spline gear as I am not sure when I will finish and start the bike up. My plan is that when I do start the bike any oil that I put in will be flushed after the first run in (and I might add a little Seafoam in as well). I tried to keep everything clean and covered in my garage, but the family would leave the door open and also I did a lot the machining of the head old school. Just to be sure I want to do a final flush of the whole system just in case there is anything left over. It might be a little overkill, but if all I am out is 4 quarts of oil and a filter, it is cheap insurance.

tomos
suzuki gs400e 82

Postby tomos » Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:33 am

Hi,before I removed fuel pump and knee attachment , I noticed that there is oil film on knee and the head. Spacers seemed to be OK but l ordered new ones any ways . This is 32 years old bike,and 12$ is not significant saving if you want to have engine properly done.
When parts arrived to my surprise spacers had gaskets attached , so that was answer to oil film mentioned above .
This is my experience and my suggestion is to get a new spacers.
Regards Zoran

pschweitzer

Postby pschweitzer » Sat Jan 31, 2015 12:26 pm

Thanks. I got the spacer and installed. Unfortunately as I was snugging up one of the bolts the other bolt snapped. There was no real torque on it yet, so I think it was just in the right position and fatigue took over. The broken piece came right out. Bike Bandit had them so bought a pair and now it is just waiting. This bike rebuild is fighting me all the way sometimes.

tomos
suzuki gs400e 82

Postby tomos » Sat Jan 31, 2015 12:44 pm

Do not give up , I have had worked on my bike for a while and there's always something to go wrong ,slowly but surely you will get to the end.
Regards Zoran

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”