Gas leak from #1 carb

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
reb54
Motorcycle: 1981 GL1100 Standard

Gas leak from #1 carb

Postby reb54 » Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:47 pm

Need some input. The bike is a 1981 standard. I rebuilt the carburetors over a year ago with Randakk's kit. Everything was fine until I noticed a gas mist on the float bowl on #1 carb. This went on for awhile and just the other day I was getting ready to go for a ride and could smell gas. With the bike on the side stand I could see gas dripping and running from #1 and dripping on the left side of the engine. I did the tap on the float bowl with a screw driver and the next time I started it, no gas leak. I rode for about 9 - 10 miles without any leaks.
This afternoon, a very unusually warm day, I decided to take the bike out. Sure enough while the bike was warming up I could smell gas, my leak was back. I tried tapping the float bowl again but did not make any difference. I also removed the drain screw to the #1 float bowl to drain the gas and cause the float to really move and hopefully fix my leak. Naturally, this did not cure the problem either.
I am not looking forward to removing the carburetors again but want to get some input before I start. Hopefully there is something I can do while without removing the carbs. My feeble thinking thinks it is a stuck float but I am no expert.......
Thank you in advance for any reply's.

Randal
Carrollton, TX
1981 1100 Standard
Attachments
1981 1100 Standard
1981 1100 Standard

f1xrupr
Motorcycle: 1980 gl 1100 Std. Vetter

Re: Gas leak from #1 carb

Postby f1xrupr » Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:53 am

Hi...how does the bike run? Are there any signs of that cylinder running rich (black sparkplug electrodes-difference in inside of tailpipe color when compared to each other-misfire when hot)? If it runs good, it could be loose screws that hold the bowl on, a failing bowl gasket, or a warped or cracked bowl flang. Truth be known, the bowl still should not leak even if the carb is flooding. You may be able to snug the screws up with a angled screw driver ( small rachet?) being careful not to strip them. Also, you may consider the possibility that the leak could be coming from somewhere else and just dripping off the carb...If the bowl is in fact the leak, and the screws are tight, then the carbs must come off. If the screws are loose, you may want to check those screws in all 4 carbs.
My exercise bike is a goldwing.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:31 am

f1xrupr wrote:Hi...how does the bike run? Are there any signs of that cylinder running rich (black sparkplug electrodes-difference in inside of tailpipe color when compared to each other-misfire when hot)? If it runs good, it could be loose screws that hold the bowl on, a failing bowl gasket, or a warped or cracked bowl flang. Truth be known, the bowl still should not leak even if the carb is flooding. You may be able to snug the screws up with a angled screw driver ( small rachet?) being careful not to strip them. Also, you may consider the possibility that the leak could be coming from somewhere else and just dripping off the carb...If the bowl is in fact the leak, and the screws are tight, then the carbs must come off. If the screws are loose, you may want to check those screws in all 4 carbs.

Actually, they're SUPPOSED to leak if the float is stuck and the bowl is full. This lets the gas out of the carb instead of letting it flow down into the cylinder, where it would gas-wash the lubricating oil off the cylinder walls, or hydro-lock the cylinder.

f1xrupr
Motorcycle: 1980 gl 1100 Std. Vetter

Postby f1xrupr » Thu Jan 29, 2015 4:57 pm

Wingadmin, thank you for your comments-corrective wisdom is a virtue. I must say, after 37 years of working on engines, and thousands of carbarators, you lost me on this one. I have seen on many jap bike carbs an overflow relief tube that runs just above the gas level, down through the bottom of the bowl, then attaches to a small tube, and then runs down behind the engine safely to the ground. Experience on goldwing carbs consist of a continuous o-ring type gasket recessed into the flang of the bowl, tightening up against a continuous flang on the carb body, with no evident passage at the flang or elsewhere, for overflow relief. It seems that if by design, the goldwing carbs are supposed to leak when flooded, then, they would also leak while driving on rough train, possibly while parked on the side stand, and/or, if dropped-any of which would be a potential fire hazard, do to the engine and/or exhaust temps being just at or above the flash point of gasoline. Pardon me if I misunderstood....elsewise, would you please elaborate.....thanks!
My exercise bike is a goldwing.

reb54
Motorcycle: 1981 GL1100 Standard

Postby reb54 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:10 pm

Thanks for the replys.
The bike seems to run alright. I will say that the inside of my mufflers are flat black in color. Plugs looks like maybe boder line rich but it has been running that way since the carb rebuild. The leaking has only happened recently. I will concede it may be running rich but has been so since the rebuild. This is an intermitted problem so to me would rule out a float bowl gasket.
Unfortunately, it does appear that I must remove the carburaters and see if I can figure out what is going on with #1.
Will let the forum know what I discover.

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”