Motion Pro Tools Sync Pro Carb Tuner Carburetor Synchronizer

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
robertdawber
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100 Interstate

Motion Pro Tools Sync Pro Carb Tuner Carburetor Synchronizer

Postby robertdawber » Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:51 pm

Anyone ever use one of these? I have a few questions-
What would be-if any- the advantage over a vacuum gauge?
Are the more accurate?
Can it be used on the GL1100?

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Motion Pro Tools Sync Pro Carb Tuner Carburetor Synchron

Postby WingAdmin » Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:50 pm

robertdawber wrote:Anyone ever use one of these? I have a few questions-
What would be-if any- the advantage over a vacuum gauge?
Are the more accurate?
Can it be used on the GL1100?

I believe you're talking about this unit: http://www.amazon.com/Motion-Pro-08-041 ... ingdocs-20

It will work just fine on your GL1100. It might actually be a bit easier to use than vacuum gauges, as the columns of fluid have mass, that will dampen the pulses that make the vacuum gauge needles oscillate.

RBGERSON
Motorcycle: 98 SE GL 1500
had every year from 75 to 83

Postby RBGERSON » Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:28 am

Only issue with fluid "gauges is yoiu can suck all the fluid into the cylinders when starting out..note you can make a fluid set of gauges for under $10..tubing, yardstick, fluid, air valves the expensive part are the 5mm taps that you screw into the intakes.

http://www.powerchutes.com/manometer.asp

make it with four tubes

or these that stop the fluid from being sucked into the cylinders.

http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/How_do_I_s ... uretors%3F
HAD LOTS OF GOLDWING 75-83
NOW INTO 1500'S..RIDING A 1998 SE

FAIR WINDS,
RB

HawkeyeGL1200
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Interstate
1981 GL1100 Interstate

Postby HawkeyeGL1200 » Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:34 pm

The sync pro has tiny orifices that come with it to reduce the likelyhood of "sucking" the fluid into the intake. You start by using a manifold to synchronize the individual tubes to each other (there are tiny valves you turn to balance all four to each other) and then you attach each tune to a test port on each cylinder in order to sync the carbs to each other.

I have one and it works fine.

Unless you calibrate a set of 4 gauges to each other, there's no way of knowing if they read the same when exposed to the same pressure. I considered both options and since I'm pretty familiar with manometers and how they work, I went with the motion pro tool... replacement parts (probably won't ever need them) are available, and I don't expect they'll be out of style any time soon... too bad the same thing can't be said for Old Goldwing parts :-)
I am wrong as often as I am right concerning what is wrong with someone else' motorcycle without having seen the machine in person. Guessing with limited information, as to the source of the trouble, is sketchy at best.

bruce swaybill
Motorcycle: 1983 gl1100i interstate

Postby bruce swaybill » Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:04 pm

This works grerat. Using the synchronizer tool is easy and when all three carb lock nuts a loose, you can easily adjust the three carb screws to get exactly the same vacuum as the number 3 cylinder. The difficult part is locking each nut while not turning the screw - then the readings are a little off. I spent more time making myself happy with the 'locking' part than the rest of the job, including prep and cleanup.

Bruce S.
Have a nice day! :)

pappajim0719
Motorcycle: 1979 GL1000 full dress

Re: Motion Pro Tools Sync Pro Carb Tuner Carburetor Synchronizer

Postby pappajim0719 » Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:22 pm

I use these and like them a lot. My first time use wasn't so good, sucked the blue fluid right out of it. Spent a few bucks, got more bottles of the blue refill fluids. Eventually, I ran out of the blue stuff, filled the chambers with Marvel Mystery Oil and they work great, it seems the MMO holds more stable in the column than the blue fluid. Also, the red shows up fine and is easy to read.
Jim
Ride like everyone on the road is trying to kill you, or one of them will.

harvey01
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800

Postby harvey01 » Thu Feb 12, 2015 11:53 am

You might also want to consider the Morgan Carbtune at: http://www.carbtune.com/

This is an English product but is also very easy to use. It has the advantage of no fluids so you can pretty much store it anywhere or even carry it with you.
harvey
Ride Safe and Ride Often

HawkeyeGL1200
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Interstate
1981 GL1100 Interstate

Postby HawkeyeGL1200 » Thu Feb 12, 2015 7:17 pm

I just may have to have one of those. Thanks for posting the link.

harvey01 wrote:You might also want to consider the Morgan Carbtune at: http://www.carbtune.com/

This is an English product but is also very easy to use. It has the advantage of no fluids so you can pretty much store it anywhere or even carry it with you.
I am wrong as often as I am right concerning what is wrong with someone else' motorcycle without having seen the machine in person. Guessing with limited information, as to the source of the trouble, is sketchy at best.

robertdawber

Postby robertdawber » Fri Feb 13, 2015 12:35 am

I decided to go with the vacuum gauge system. The prices are similar but I felt more comfortable with these.

mytown
Motorcycle: 1982 Goldwing Interstate

Postby mytown » Wed Feb 25, 2015 1:37 am

RBGERSON wrote:Only issue with fluid "gauges is yoiu can suck all the fluid into the cylinders when starting out..note you can make a fluid set of gauges for under $10..tubing, yardstick, fluid, air valves the expensive part are the 5mm taps that you screw into the intakes.

http://www.powerchutes.com/manometer.asp

I used the above method. Here it is in action:

2 stroke oil it is relatively thick and takes a long time to settle into the bottom, overnight on initial fill. And it is slow to work its way back down the tube after rising up or being sucked out of it. I settled on Sta-Bil.

Like many, many others, I had a few ideas for resistors. My ideas were driven by what was on hand. Here the adapter that goes into the manifold is on the right end of a small tube. On the other end is a reducer I found at a hardware store into which I epoxied a small red nozzle. The left end reducer then goes into the long tube of the manometer:
That did work, but I reduced the size of the resistor further by sticking a carb jet into the tube:
One assembly goes on each end of the long tube. IIRC, the method involves balancing 1 to 3 then 2 to 4 then left bank to right bank. I honestly think this was a pain but it was worth it to me.

Oldbear
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100A Aspencade

Postby Oldbear » Sun Mar 01, 2015 12:02 pm

bruce swaybill wrote:This works grerat. Using the synchronizer tool is easy and when all three carb lock nuts a loose, you can easily adjust the three carb screws to get exactly the same vacuum as the number 3 cylinder. The difficult part is locking each nut while not turning the screw - then the readings are a little off. I spent more time making myself happy with the 'locking' part than the rest of the job, including prep and cleanup.

Bruce S.

Bruce, you need to pick up the other tool needed to do the job. It's a long screw driver that fits inside a long tube with a nut on the end. The tube & nut lets you turn the lock nut, the screw drive turns the screw. You then hold the screw while tightening the nut. Well worth the money.
Attachments
My wife is the greatest - she won't let me sell my bike - I'm less grumpy when I ride...

robertdawber

Postby robertdawber » Sun Mar 01, 2015 1:04 pm

Not for a an 83 interstate though

bruce swaybill
Motorcycle: 1983 gl1100i interstate

Postby bruce swaybill » Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:58 pm

I did this with the chrome tie bracket removed and a standard screw driver and a box end wrench which is basically what you showed, but this tool would illuminate the bracket removal. It still moved.

I think it was due to slop in the threads, slop in the screw head slot, wear at the screw tip, etc.
Next time i plan to replace the screws and nuts to see if it helps. Maybe adding Locktite.

Also, why would these tools not work on an '83?

Thanks for the info.
Bruce S.
Have a nice day! :)

Oldbear
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100A Aspencade

Postby Oldbear » Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:11 pm

I do have to counter the turning force of the socket with the screwdriver when I tighten the lock nuts.
My wife is the greatest - she won't let me sell my bike - I'm less grumpy when I ride...

robertdawber

Postby robertdawber » Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:56 pm

I should have said you don't need to use it for the bike. I don't see the need but it could make the job easier. I did consider buying one but decided I would just go with what I have. :D

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”