HELP! Changing out Speedo

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
gordonv
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500
1999 GL1500CF
1982 GL1100A

HELP! Changing out Speedo

Postby gordonv » Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:08 pm

82' Aspencade with a stuck (not working) odometer, speedometer working fine ( self cancelling not work 100% of the time, but different issue). Original is in KMH and the replacement is MPH.

I bought a complete instrument cluster off of ebay, seems they are a complete unit, can't separate the speedo. I'm taking the cluster off my 82', it's loose, and trying to remove the wires. Behind the weight on the front I found the end of the 3 loose wires & connector, but the colors and the connections don't match.

I haven't looked over the manual yet, to see if the wires/colors are different from the IS to the Aspencade. I'll try to post some pictures. This pic is of the end of the wires, there is the connector and three wires.

The original one has these 3 which end in 2 Female and 1 Male connector.

The replacement has these 3 wires, ending in 3 Males.

First, I'm hoping that the multi pin connectors are the same between the two speedos, I can't compare yet till I get the other one off the bike fully. If they are, what do I do about the wires? The 3 Males and the 2F + 1M won't work with the 3F I'm trying to replace with? The colors are also different, so I need to match the 3 connectors to the other color and then make a short gender changer connector so I can wire it in, so I need to know which replacement wire is for which original wire.

There are other wires I need to figure out, but these are the first ones stopping me from removing the cluster from the bike.

Note: If more or better details are needed, I'll change the original post. I have a picture that shows where these three wires go to on the idiot lights cluster if needed, on the replacement.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: HELP! Changing out Speedo

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:18 am

Well, I'm hunting around on the 82 Aspencade schematic for your wire colors.

The first picture:

These three wires (black with yellow, green with white, white) all go to the angle sensor (from the steering head) to the turn cancelling unit - it should have nothing to do with the gauge cluster. It determines how much the steering is turned. The angle sensor is item 3 in this diagram, and the wire harness in this picture is item 2:

Angle Sensor
Angle Sensor

The second picture:

Light Blue connects to the right turn signal, and is light blue throughout the entire bike (i.e. if you find a light blue wire anywhere, it's right turn signal). Similarly, Orange is the left turn signal. Blue is the high beam.

As I'm sure you know, green is always ground.

gordonv
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500
1999 GL1500CF
1982 GL1100A

Re: HELP! Changing out Speedo

Postby gordonv » Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:58 am

OK, both statements make sense, the lt blue & orange wires do go to the center where the turn signal lights are.

Then I need to find out if the replacement cluster is the wrong one for my Aspencade then (direct connect). Also look the bike over again to see where the wires are going to, but I'm sure I followed the wires down on the Asp. to what they connect to, as they are bundles.

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”