'81 Interstate Recommisioning Complete

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
rkmason
Motorcycle: 1981 GL1100 Interstate

'81 Interstate Recommisioning Complete

Postby rkmason » Sat Feb 07, 2015 12:07 pm

Finally, I have this '81 Interstate operational now after about 7 months of part-time effort and assistance from my friend (this bike's owner). To recap, it had been setting in a closed shed for about 18 years. It needed work but was not as badly deteriorated as it could've been if setting outside. The front and rear brakes were non-functional with crystallized fluid, and the fuel system from tank to carbs needed derusting & cleaning. Both the complete braking system and the carbs are 100% rebuilt. The electrical system was in reasonable shape with the exception of a poor ground path from the fairing. I fixed the fairing grounding by adding a supplemental ground wire going from the main wiring interconnect point behind the front fork inertia weight out to behind the headlight. Fortunately the engine internals were in good shape so I just replaced the timing belts and did a complete service, replaced all fluids from the front forks back to the driveline gearcase. It still needs a little cosmetic work on the chrome and aluminum covers.
81 Interstate Recommisioned
81 Interstate Recommisioned

I still have a couple of minor issues to deal with:

(1) The front master cyl seeps a little fluid even after a complete rebuild and a new reservoir o-ring. I may have to replace the plastic reservoir to get it 100% sealed.

(2) The saddlebag compartment cover seals and trunk cover seals are in bad shape. Does anyone have a non-OEM fix for these compartment seals?

Mspinner
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100 Apencade

Re: '81 Interstate Recommisioning Complete

Postby Mspinner » Sun Feb 08, 2015 7:19 am

Great job! It's nice to see another rise from the dead. Lots of guys sell things here on this site. eBay always seems to have what your looking for. You will find them. Happy Rides !!

rkmason
Motorcycle: 1981 GL1100 Interstate

Re: '81 Interstate Recommissioning Complete

Postby rkmason » Sun Feb 08, 2015 11:01 am

Thx. This '81 GL1100 belongs to my friend who currently rides a '94 GL1500. I recently retired and wanted to do some motorcycle road trips as I had done in the 70's (shorter trips than back then, and definitely on a more comfortable bike). He offered to let me use his '81 Interstate if I made it road-worthy again. It was fun to work on and get familiarized with a GW. It's a very different motorcycle compared to the '75 CB750 I had back in the day.

My friend tells me there is a big community of GW riders out there. Hope to meet some of you on the road this year.

Mspinner
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100 Apencade

Re: '81 Interstate Recommissioning Complete

Postby Mspinner » Sun Feb 08, 2015 3:48 pm

rkmason wrote:Thx. This '81 GL1100 belongs to my friend who currently rides a '94 GL1500. I recently retired and wanted to do some motorcycle road trips as I had done in the 70's (shorter trips than back then, and definitely on a more comfortable bike). He offered to let me use his '81 Interstate if I made it road-worthy again. It was fun to work on and get familiarized with a GW. It's a very different motorcycle compared to the '75 CB750 I had back in the day.

My friend tells me there is a big community of GW riders out there. Hope to meet some of you on the road this year.

That's a good friend. Sounds like a lot of work for some summer rides....

jenagle
Motorcycle: 1981 Goldwing 1100
1989 Goldwing 1500

Postby jenagle » Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:58 pm

(2) The saddlebag compartment cover seals and trunk cover seals are in bad shape. Does anyone have a non-OEM fix for these compartment seals?

the cover seals on my 1100 are split and part missing too. I've been thinking of trying to replace them with the door edge guard plastic that they put on cars and trucks. Have not tried it yet, but just a thought. As they are, they don't leak at all (as far as I can tell.)

Good luck.

moritz1100
Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100

Postby moritz1100 » Wed Feb 11, 2015 6:30 pm

Just spotted this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Universal-Rub ... 1c3915122c . Looks very similar..

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”