Blowing smoke after head job

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
pschweitzer
Motorcycle: 1983 Goldwing Interstate GL1100I

Blowing smoke after head job

Postby pschweitzer » Sat Feb 14, 2015 12:29 pm

Finally finished the mechanical work on my '83 GL1100i with carbs rebuilt by Pistol Pete and a full head job with valves lapped and new guide seals. I put oil in with Sea Foam and ran the bike for half and hour to clean up the insides in case I had left over gunk from the work I did. The bike smoked on startup (mostly the left side)and diminished after warming up, but I was expecting that with the Sea Foam (I am on the center stand). I let it sit a couple of days and ran it this morning to warm things up so I could change out the oil and filter to the good stuff (Mobil 1 10W-30 high mileage synthetic). The bike still smokes at start and diminished a bit after running for a while, but not completely. The smoke seems white-ish and there was some condensation the dripped or sprayed out tailpipe. Not much, just some spray drops and there was not a huge amount of smoke that fogs the garage like I've read in other posts and more of an exhaust smell rather than the sweet antifreeze smell. I made a mistake when I was torqueing the right side head and redid that side with an OEM gasket. The left side has a Vesrah gasket. Both were copper coated before assembly. I have not re-torqued the heads yet.

It is 9 degrees outside this weekend so do not have a chance to really get it on the road to see if the seals just need a good workout. I am also going into the hospital on Wednesday for heart valve surgery so it may be a while before I can get this bike out (maybe by that time the weather will warm up a bit). I think I changed or replaced everything on the top end that needed replacing and actually with the carbs rebuilt the bike starts and sounds great (started up quickly and idles smoother than ever). I have some time to ponder things for about a month. Any advice from anyone if I missed something? I'll post a video of what I am seeing if that helps.

HawkeyeGL1200
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Interstate
1981 GL1100 Interstate

Re: Blowing smoke after head job

Postby HawkeyeGL1200 » Sat Feb 14, 2015 1:08 pm

I suppose the oil rings and compression rings could be allowing some oil into the combustion chamber. There's no guarantee that a top end service will cure oil burning. When you get a chance to load the engine (aka ride the bike) you might get someone to follow you to see if the bike smokes under load. My '81 smokes when it idles. I figure 30 years of neglect will do that to the most well designed of engines.

I hope your surgery goes well, which I should have written first since that's far more important than talking about an old motorcycle...
I am wrong as often as I am right concerning what is wrong with someone else' motorcycle without having seen the machine in person. Guessing with limited information, as to the source of the trouble, is sketchy at best.

pschweitzer

Postby pschweitzer » Sat Feb 14, 2015 3:03 pm

Thanks Hawkeye for the thoughts and I would rather talk motorcycles :)
If it is a sticky ring has anyone had any luck with adding ATF to the oil. I think I read that somewhere.

BTW...the engine smoked on idle before all the work as well and right now it is no worse than it was before I worked on the head.

HawkeyeGL1200
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Interstate
1981 GL1100 Interstate

Postby HawkeyeGL1200 » Sat Feb 14, 2015 3:50 pm

I added synthetic oil to my crankcase a while back to try to remove varnish from years of build up. The puff of smoke that I used to get when I first start the engine is less now, but the smoke while warming up is more noticeable (to me anyway). I'm thinking I may have "cleaned" up enough sludge so that now the rings are allowing oil into the cylinders a little more than before. I am thinking about replacing my engine with either an '83 model (better gearing) or a 1200 (hydraulic lifters) soon, so a little smoke doesn't bother me.

I add some two-cycle oil to the gas almost every time I fill up anyway, so I expect some blue smoke in the exhaust. I'm not going to win any beauty contests with either motorcycle I ride, so a little smoke doesn't seem to make any difference as long as they start and run when I want. It would be a little disappointing to do a top end to find out the engine smokes after all that work. It may quit after a while or it may not. With rings being scarce as they are, there isn't a lot you can do about it... I did read somewhere a guy found automotive rings that fit the Goldwing, but I can't recall what they were nor can I recall what model he fit them to.
I am wrong as often as I am right concerning what is wrong with someone else' motorcycle without having seen the machine in person. Guessing with limited information, as to the source of the trouble, is sketchy at best.

f1xrupr
Motorcycle: 1980 gl 1100 Std. Vetter

Postby f1xrupr » Sat Feb 14, 2015 5:33 pm

I'll follow Hawk"s good example and say "hope all goes well with your surgery"....Say, that 10w30 synthetic...is that a little thin for that bike? My bike calls for 10w40-it's a 1980 (I run 20w50 royal purple synthetic car oil-does great). It has a t-stat that makes it not so sensitive to the cold temps after warmup...maybe thicker oil will help...? I think synthetic oil "acts" a little thinner than dyno oil doesn't it? (Y'all don't beat me up to bad for the RP car oil. :roll: )
My exercise bike is a goldwing.

roadwanderer2
Motorcycle: 83 GL1100A aspencade, previously owned, 1981 honda GL500i silverwing interstate, 1974 yamaha xs400, 1974 Honda cb450 twin cam, 1983 honda vt30, 1982 honda 700 shadow, 1972 cb750four, and my first bike, a brand new 1982 honda CM400e. and a new to me 1986 GL1200 aspencade SEi

Postby roadwanderer2 » Sat Feb 14, 2015 6:50 pm

hey psch:

my thoughts and prayers are with you also.

as for the oil burning on startup, mine does the same thing,(83 1100 aspy with 100,000 on it), but what I have found that if I put it on the center stand instead of the side stand over night, it wont push the oil smoke as bad as it would if I left it on the side stand. wingadmin told me that the way these boxer motors are designed, they will do that because some of the oil doesn't have the chance to drain back down to the oil pan. instead it sits inside the left head and once you start it up, that will make it start to blow smoke thru the left muffler and once its warmed up a little, the smoking will disappear. I've gotten used to it and it doesn't bother me anymore unless it smokes for a long time after its warmed up which takes about 4-5 minutes depending on the ambient temperature.

every time I fill up, I put 2oz's of ethanol treatment and 4oz's of sea foam in the tank and it does make a difference in start up and performance. I've noticed a definite increase in hp and fuel mileage. I also found that I can run the middle grade fuel in it instead of premium, but never use regular fuel, that makes my bike,(not sure how anyone else's run) run like crap. on hard throttle, it bogs down considerably and has much less top end power. there's a Honda bike oil, I think its called GN4? that im going to put in on my next oil/filter change and see how that makes my bike run.

here's something for thought, years ago I used to use marvel mystery oil in the fuel tank and added it to the oil of my car, and that made a big difference on how the car ran. not sure if its advisable for use in a motorcycle fuel tank or oil but its a thought if you need to clean the fuel system out. IF you do decide to use it in your bike's fuel tank, be prepared to have it smoke like crazy until it burns thru.

stuart.

pschweitzer

Postby pschweitzer » Tue Feb 24, 2015 4:23 pm

Thanks everyone. Mechanic finished doing the valve and carb job on my personal engine and I am back at home. Pain free I am happy to say and only stayed in the hospital 4 days (they don't let you sit still very long). Anyway, thanks again for al the kind words.

The bike, while I was gone, has been dripping a very small amount of oil (maybe one drop an hour). I have been trying to pin it down, but I think it might be the light weight synthetic along with needing a new crush washer for the oil plug. I'll order and replace as soon as I can lift something more that a half jug of milk. I also need to look at the rear brakes. The fronts were done about a year ago, but not the rear and the master was empty. Its probably due for some TLC as well. I also need to fix some plastic on the fairing as soon as it gets a little warmer. One of these days I will post a picture (that's of the bike :D )

roadwanderer2
Motorcycle: 83 GL1100A aspencade, previously owned, 1981 honda GL500i silverwing interstate, 1974 yamaha xs400, 1974 Honda cb450 twin cam, 1983 honda vt30, 1982 honda 700 shadow, 1972 cb750four, and my first bike, a brand new 1982 honda CM400e. and a new to me 1986 GL1200 aspencade SEi

Postby roadwanderer2 » Tue Feb 24, 2015 5:10 pm

pschweitzer wrote:Thanks everyone. Mechanic finished doing the valve and carb job on my personal engine and I am back at home. Pain free I am happy to say and only stayed in the hospital 4 days (they don't let you sit still very long). Anyway, thanks again for al the kind words.

The bike, while I was gone, has been dripping a very small amount of oil (maybe one drop an hour). I have been trying to pin it down, but I think it might be the light weight synthetic along with needing a new crush washer for the oil plug. I'll order and replace as soon as I can lift something more that a half jug of milk. I also need to look at the rear brakes. The fronts were done about a year ago, but not the rear and the master was empty. Its probably due for some TLC as well. I also need to fix some plastic on the fairing as soon as it gets a little warmer. One of these days I will post a picture (that's of the bike :D )

welcome home psch. glad to hear you back home and on the mend. don't worry so much about the bike, it will be there when your back on your feet. just get well first, then worry about the bike.

stuart.

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”