changing out final drive

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
glasshead
Motorcycle: 1983 Goldwing Interstate

changing out final drive

Postby glasshead » Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:07 pm

I need to change out my final drive on my 83 interstate. The only 'how to' post I see is changing the back tire. Can I just take the drive off without taking the axle off?

littlebeaver
Motorcycle: 1981 gl 1100 I , 79 Yamaha XS11
Special, 82 Kawa 750 CSR, 82 Kawa 750 LTD, 03 Kawa Nomad 1500, 99 Kawa Voyager 1200

Re: changing out final drive

Postby littlebeaver » Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:27 pm

I'm pretty sure you have to remove the wheel and the axle to get the final gear drive off , at least that's how I do it, I however leave the final gear drive fastened to the swingarm unlike Admin. in his rear wheel removal post he removes the final gear drive and all in one shot ( the Manual way he does it )..., I just take the wheel off the spines and drop it out, that's the way I have always done it then I remove the gear drive, whatever way you wish, it works both ways his way is probably gonna be easier for you and the best way...
....It might just need a new O'ring seal... My Nomads seal would get old and stiff and a small leak would appear, I changed out the Oring and fixed the leak...I can't be sure of this as I have no idea where it's leaking from on yours... Hey when removing the final gear drive and you unscrew the bolts or nuts it will be pushing back as there is a spring that pushes it back,, just so you know...Note: It's a heavy little sucker...lol
I think the oring is #36 on this drawing...I will see what size it is for ya,, hold on...Yep the Oring is (60.5x2.4) and the part # is 731107 at Bike bandit.... $3 or $4 is all for that... If it's leaking at the joint this is probably the fix... But remember you do as you wish... If you want to just replace the gear drive with a different one, do it... :D I have not had a problem with my Honda's yet, Only my Kawasaki's both Nomad and Voyager orings had to be replaced.....Fixed both times....Well I just read your other post,, sorry I was late here,, now you will have two final gears ,,, :shock: sorry

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:53 pm

The axle goes THROUGH the final drive, so there's no way you're going to get it off without first removing the axle and the rear wheel.

You can see the whole procedure here: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=73

glasshead

Postby glasshead » Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:43 pm

I'll wait until I need a new back tire. It wasn't a big gamble for $50, plus the drive has a third of the miles mine has. I will replace that o ring on my "new" drive and life should be really good.

rich

littlebeaver
Special, 82 Kawa 750 CSR, 82 Kawa 750 LTD, 03 Kawa Nomad 1500, 99 Kawa Voyager 1200

Postby littlebeaver » Sun Feb 22, 2015 7:10 pm

I got tell you about what happened to my Nomad's final gear drive,,, I had removed it to change out the oring and I set it on my ice chest in the garage all safe and such right???? Wrong... the kids had some friends over and they decided to run through the garage playing chase :shock: well one of them was a little goofy and ran into the Ice chest :shock: FOR the LOve of... I told them girls to stop coming through there a hundred times....But NOOOOOO... My final gear fell hit the rock hard floor and it cracked the inside case... It wasn't gonna hurt the function of it but it cracked part of it right off.... I sat there like this :shock: :shock: for about 10 minutes and I thought and thought,, asking myself, how do I approach this... do I yell,,, or stay cool???? :evil: they were having so much fun... :lol: they were just having fun...The kid didn't know what she did...My girls were freakin out because I usually yell... :lol: {not often} so I decided to forget about it,, then I called to see what a new one cost... well good grief,,, $800.00 :shock: :o , I'm so glad they didn't do more damage... Keep them kids away..... they are dangerously expensive, and always think about a situation before loosing your cool... :lol: I truly am a cool Dad....
Last edited by littlebeaver on Sun Feb 22, 2015 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

glasshead

Postby glasshead » Sun Feb 22, 2015 8:02 pm

I meant to ask.. when I DO get the drive out, how do I get to the o ring?

rich

littlebeaver

Postby littlebeaver » Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:58 pm

I used a dental pick to get up underneath it...You can probably just use a finger nail, and I ask the guy at the dealership if I just put it in dry and he said yes...

glasshead

Postby glasshead » Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:59 pm

It is hard to tell from the drawing, but is it the o ring that is visible on picture 41 of admin's "how to change back tire"... on the far left just past the teeth?
rich

littlebeaver

Postby littlebeaver » Mon Feb 23, 2015 6:13 pm

Yes,,, that's the one....

glasshead

Postby glasshead » Tue Feb 24, 2015 6:24 pm

I just got my "new" drive this afternoon. It looks to be in great shape. The o ring on it is almost completely gone. The drive I have on the bike right now is leaking, or the oil is pooling, directly in the middle of the bottom of the housing.

Your opinion... Is changing out the drive any worse of a job than changing the belts? I changed the belts a few summers ago without too much trouble. Somehow, this job seems a bit more involved.

rich

littlebeaver

Postby littlebeaver » Tue Feb 24, 2015 6:30 pm

Ok,, if it's leaking from there, I would take off the oring off the old one and replace it on the new one it's probably not the problem then, put it on the bike..you should be fine or get a new one all together and replace it,, then I would place the leaking one on the floor and kick it once :shock: Sounds like a seal inside that went bad...there is no sense putting the new final gear on without changing that O ring though.. sounds like it's in bad shape,,seems the guy that sold it would know that.. I'd like to hit him in the face once as he knows wings and should have told you ahead of time, that little ------... :shock: :lol: this job is easy...Follow Wing admin. how Too.... Oh yeah, make sure it's not leaking at the filler cap(#34), it also has a oring and I think #37 look at the drawing but I'm not positive about that,, shows no part for it on Bike bandit site... maybe someone else knows... I am hoping it's the filler cap oring(#34),, easy fix.. Now you know why I would kick it :lol: it's probably the one inside it.. ace hardware has a nice collection of O rings , even in metric sizes if there is one by you,, It could be #31 it looks like it's a oil seal...Yeah my money's on #31 if it's leaking from the middle area and dripping from the inside area........that's a special order I'm sure..Hope like hell the new one's oil seal is fine inside there.... :shock: OMG sorry for being so long winded on this, the final gear drive can leak from 3 different area's, outside at the filler cap, inside in the middle area, and towards the front where it bolts in sometimes drippling clear down to the U joint area, I had that happen on the Nomad.... ,,,, :shock: we are both getting educated on this...LOL Looks like #31 oil seal is under $10.00 your dealer can probably get it but bike bandit doesn't sell it online..Good luck with the new final gear drive,,I'm sure the oil seal inside there is just fine..

glasshead

Postby glasshead » Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:03 pm

Thanx for the vote of confidence on saying its an easy job. I looked all over last summer for the leak. Not the cap and not where the drive goes in. I am going to trust the seller as to the miles on this drive. I definitely intend to put a new o ring on it before the install.

I am retiring from 30 years of teaching at the end of this school year, so I will have time (in between the odd jobs I will have to do to afford it), to work on the old girl. The foot of snow should be melting in a few months and I look forward to wrenching in the sunshine. :D

rich

littlebeaver

Postby littlebeaver » Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:38 pm

Well, it sounds like you have some time, something that I didn't mention, GREASE, use what admin. recommends for the front of the final gear drive that goes into the driveshaft and also the splines on the final gear drive where the wheel fastens,, I would USE HONDAS moly paste on the splines, all the splines... .. I want some of that grease that was in there when I first removed the final gear drive,, it was thick as heck man,,, inside the driveshaft, I have to wonder what that stuff was....It was dark grey and very thick, nice..., Brake cleaner on a rag will take off any of the old stuff really nicely, make sure it's bone dry before appling the Honda Moly paste... good luck.....I wouldn't be very helpful if I didn't mention this grease part.. :D viewtopic.php?f=11&t=77

littlebeaver

Postby littlebeaver » Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:51 pm

Yikes, I forgot #17 the drain bolt,, I know it's not the problem but geez, it's kinda a place it could leak,, more likely there than the filler cap ha ha... :shock: :shock:

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”