Need Trailer wiring for 1983 GL1100

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
Alemayehu
Motorcycle: 1983 Honda GL1100
1987 Honda GL1200

Need Trailer wiring for 1983 GL1100

Postby Alemayehu » Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:21 am

Hi every one I got home built trailer with broken wiring and I just purchase it this afternoon hoping someone will lead me holding my hand to walk the walk.I am hopeless regarding electrics,I would appreciate if there is how to with photos to connect the wires exactly where it should be on both sides ( bike and trailer).I have to admit I have no idea where to start but I sow the other day the wires under the set for turning signals and this is the only place to migrate for help as far as I am concerned.God bless!

roadwanderer2
Motorcycle: 83 GL1100A aspencade, previously owned, 1981 honda GL500i silverwing interstate, 1974 yamaha xs400, 1974 Honda cb450 twin cam, 1983 honda vt30, 1982 honda 700 shadow, 1972 cb750four, and my first bike, a brand new 1982 honda CM400e. and a new to me 1986 GL1200 aspencade SEi

Re: Need Trailer wiring for 1983 GL1100

Postby roadwanderer2 » Mon Feb 23, 2015 6:20 am

hey alemayehu, its really very simple. go onto eBay and type this number into the searchbox.........221601730468 it will bring up the wiring kit you need and it is rather easy to connect. I cut a little grove in my trunk and mounted it inside and ran the wires down to the trailer hitch on my bike. the connector box has an adhesive backing so you can mount it in the trunk to keep it out of the elements.

wiring it to your bikes tail and turn wires shouldn't be a problem if you already have or had the seat off. just follow the color coded wires as per directions on the unit and you cant go wrong. don't cut the bikes wires completely apart, just skin the covers back to expose the wires, wrap the kit wire ends around them and recover the wires with electrical tape. make sure the tape is snug and tight.

you'll find you'll have more than enough length to run from inside the trunk to the bike's wires and to your hitch, in fact, you might want to cut some off as they are very long, but measure it first. I had to wrap the wires around my bumper a few times to take up the slack in the length. when the sun comes up, i'll take a few pics and post them here so you can see how I did mine.

hope this helps ya,

stuart.

roadwanderer2
Motorcycle: 83 GL1100A aspencade, previously owned, 1981 honda GL500i silverwing interstate, 1974 yamaha xs400, 1974 Honda cb450 twin cam, 1983 honda vt30, 1982 honda 700 shadow, 1972 cb750four, and my first bike, a brand new 1982 honda CM400e. and a new to me 1986 GL1200 aspencade SEi

Postby roadwanderer2 » Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:15 am

hey alemayehu, here are a couple of pics of how I have my trailer light kit mounted. left click on the photos so you can enlarge them for better viewing. the first pic is of the converter mounted inside my trunk at the front edge with 2 notches cut out so the wires don't get pinched when the lid is closed. the wires from the converter that lead to the bikes wires run down the outside of the trunk and the wires that go from the converter to the rear bumper also run down from inside the trunk to the outside.

it would also be a good idea if you also got one of these.......... eBay item #350269812644 for when you don't have your trailer wires connected to the bike. its a tester/adapter that plugs into the end of the bike side of the trailer plug. it lets you know that your wiring is working. that number is an eBay item number, but you can also get it at any auto parts store. I leave mine connected when im not using my trailer. if you leave it hanging the way I have mine it can be seen by vehicles behind you because it puts out a small green light. the lights on it are for your turning, stop, and tail lights, so every time you put your signal on either left or right, one of the lights will flash as will the stop lite when you use either your hand lever or your foot peddle. if you need anymore help with it, feel free to message me and let me know. what kind of home made trailer do you have? do you have any photos of it so I can see what the back of it looks like?

stuart.
Attachments

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:15 pm

I would also highly recommend using a trailer isolator. That way, if a wire in your trailer shorts out for some reason, it just blows the fuse on the trailer isolator, instead of taking out all of the lights on your bike - which could be dangerous at night!

littlebeaver
Motorcycle: 1981 gl 1100 I , 79 Yamaha XS11
Special, 82 Kawa 750 CSR, 82 Kawa 750 LTD, 03 Kawa Nomad 1500, 99 Kawa Voyager 1200

Postby littlebeaver » Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:24 pm

I think this video may help you with the trailer part of your project.....

You will find a plug up under the seat for the rear lights, check the wire color diagram in the manual so you know what color does what.... I made notes on the wires with a piece of masking tape so I didn't get the wires wrong.. If you don't have a manual just say so and someone here will help with the colors....this isolater is wise, I have what appears to be the same thing but It's called a powered converter, Hoppy makes it and what it does is, it protects your electrical system from over loading as admin. said... The power comes out of the battery direct to the convertor, the lights tie into the convertor through the bikes wires and of course ground the unit with a wire...Bam... You are in business...See, when someone just ties into the wires direct without this convertor it's putting a lot of extra strain on the lighting system, many times causing the fuse to blow,, Ok,,, some guys just say get a larger fuse,, when you start doing stuff like that,,, you might have some problems...I play it save and never had a issue with this convertor....I know it cost me more than what is shown on this ebay post...Mine was twice that price.. :shock: ( Note to self... there's a manual on this site to look up the colors for your bike....) :shock:
Last edited by littlebeaver on Mon Feb 23, 2015 3:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

roadwanderer2

Postby roadwanderer2 » Mon Feb 23, 2015 3:08 pm

littlebeaver wrote:I think this video may help you with the trailer part of your project.....

You will find a plug up under the seat for the rear lights, check the wire color diagram in the manual so you know what color does what.... I made notes on the wires with a piece of masking tape so I didn't get the wires wrong.. If you don't have a manual just say so and someone here will help with the colors....this isolater is wise, I have what appears to be the same thing but It's called a powered converter, Hoppy makes it and what it does is, it protects your electrical system from over loading as admin. said... The power comes out of the battery direct to the convertor, the lights tie into the convertor through the bikes wires and of course ground the unit with a wire...Bam... You are in business...See, when someone just ties into the wires direct without this convertor it's putting a lot of extra strain on the lighting system, many times causing the fuse to blow,, Ok,,, some guys just say get a larger fuse,, when you start doing stuff like that,,, you might have some problems...I play it save and never had a issue with this convertor....I know it cost me more than what is shown on this ebay post...Mine was twice that price.. :shock:

if you noticed on the directions in your video, it says for trailers over 80" you need to use the side marker lights. depending on how long his trailer is, (and I doubt if its 80" long), he can do without them. I have a 42" long trailer, and I didn't use them, in fact, what I did instead of rewiring my trailer lights, I went and bought magnetic mount lights and permanently mounted them on the back of the fenders and ran the wires up under the trailer frame and up to the tounge.

stuart.

Alemayehu
Motorcycle: 1983 Honda GL1100
1987 Honda GL1200

Postby Alemayehu » Fri Feb 27, 2015 3:26 am

Thank you so much everyone for your help and effort,of course the video helps me a lot and I am doing one at a time and and I am in good progress.I try to upload to show the trailer,hope it may give an idea how it just look like.I will let you know when I finish and make it road legal. God bless and thank you again.
Attachments
Home made Trailer
Home made Trailer

roadwanderer2

Postby roadwanderer2 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:26 pm

Alemayehu wrote:Thank you so much everyone for your help and effort,of course the video helps me a lot and I am doing one at a time and and I am in good progress.I try to upload to show the trailer,hope it may give an idea how it just look like.I will let you know when I finish and make it road legal. God bless and thank you again.

very interesting little trailer you have there, any idea what the weight of it is? I took a H F 42" x 42" trailer and found a plastic sears rooftop cargo pod at the flea market for $20 bucks, bolted it down to the trailer and now I have a very lightweight watertight pull behind. its registered and insured for when I have to take it out of state. by the way alemayehu, just in case your interested, the magnetic light kit has all the wires already connected to them with a "4 wire" flat male connector, so that will eliminate having to hard wire the trailer or having to wire in front side marker lights. much simpler.

the lights on the back in the 2nd photo,(left click on the pic so it will enlarge) are actually magnetic mount lights that I permanently mounted to the fenders 8-). even though they have magnets in the bases the first bump I hit the fell off, so I had to come up with a different way to mount them. what I did was I took the base off the lights, removed the nut and bolt that holds them together, bent the back end of both fenders up level, drilled a small hole in the fenders, and ran bolts, flat washers, lock washers and nuts to hold them nice and tight. I had to make a bracket to put on the back of the repositioned fenders with short flat brackets bolted to the original fender bolt holes and to where the fender bolted to the frame of the trailer so they don't flap in the breeze or bounce around so much they break the bulbs.

attached are a couple of pics of it.

stuart.
Attachments

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”