Transporting a GL1100i

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
pschweitzer
Motorcycle: 1983 Goldwing Interstate GL1100I

Transporting a GL1100i

Postby pschweitzer » Tue Feb 24, 2015 4:33 pm

I am relocating to Houston at the end of April. I work for a big oil company and they have consolidated all of us in the US to a new facility they built there. I'm the only one not going, mainly because we love our property in Northern VA and have always looked at this place as our retirement home. I only have 7-ish years to retirement so it made no sense to go back to Houston knowing I would not be retiring there. My daughter is in high school as well. My plan is to live out of 5th wheel RV and commute back a couple of times a month until I get on a project sometime in the future. My question comes from a conversation with the dealer who sold me my RAM 3500 dually. He told me that I could get a lift for the back of a 5th wheel that would hold a Goldwing. I've looked on-line but at the lengths I am interested it almost appears as you need to add another axle. Has anyone ever done this? My other option would either be to drive back and tow the bike or just do a long solo road trip. Not looking at toy haulers. Any suggestions?

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Transporting a GL1100i

Postby WingAdmin » Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:52 pm

pschweitzer wrote:I am relocating to Houston at the end of April. I work for a big oil company and they have consolidated all of us in the US to a new facility they built there. I'm the only one not going, mainly because we love our property in Northern VA and have always looked at this place as our retirement home. I only have 7-ish years to retirement so it made no sense to go back to Houston knowing I would not be retiring there. My daughter is in high school as well. My plan is to live out of 5th wheel RV and commute back a couple of times a month until I get on a project sometime in the future. My question comes from a conversation with the dealer who sold me my RAM 3500 dually. He told me that I could get a lift for the back of a 5th wheel that would hold a Goldwing. I've looked on-line but at the lengths I am interested it almost appears as you need to add another axle. Has anyone ever done this? My other option would either be to drive back and tow the bike or just do a long solo road trip. Not looking at toy haulers. Any suggestions?

I hadn't seen one that carries that kind of load - I've seen mopeds and scooters and that sort of thing. So I had a look.

The first one I saw was http://www.hydralift-usa.com/5th-wheel-lift/

Like your dealer said, for heavy bikes, this requires the installation of a third axle:

The other option I saw was a bike platform with a single castering wheel, to carry the load of the bike, at http://www.cruiserlift.com/swivelwheel.html

HawkeyeGL1200
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Interstate
1981 GL1100 Interstate

Re: Transporting a GL1100i

Postby HawkeyeGL1200 » Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:09 am

My only thought is, if you intend to come home I don't expect you'd pull the 5th wheel trailer all the way back to Virginia for a visit... couldn't you haul the Motorcycle to Texas on the first return trip from a visit home? Then as time nears for you to retire, you can bring the Wing home, and then bring the 5th wheel on your final trip... that's all I have. I don't know anything about these trailers and what they're capable of hauling or not hauling.

Whatever you decide, please be safe traveling back and forth. That's a long trip.

pschweitzer wrote:I am relocating to Houston at the end of April. I work for a big oil company and they have consolidated all of us in the US to a new facility they built there. I'm the only one not going, mainly because we love our property in Northern VA and have always looked at this place as our retirement home. I only have 7-ish years to retirement so it made no sense to go back to Houston knowing I would not be retiring there. My daughter is in high school as well. My plan is to live out of 5th wheel RV and commute back a couple of times a month until I get on a project sometime in the future. My question comes from a conversation with the dealer who sold me my RAM 3500 dually. He told me that I could get a lift for the back of a 5th wheel that would hold a Goldwing. I've looked on-line but at the lengths I am interested it almost appears as you need to add another axle. Has anyone ever done this? My other option would either be to drive back and tow the bike or just do a long solo road trip. Not looking at toy haulers. Any suggestions?
I am wrong as often as I am right concerning what is wrong with someone else' motorcycle without having seen the machine in person. Guessing with limited information, as to the source of the trouble, is sketchy at best.

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”