neutral light on after engine swamp ??????????

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
boblj
Motorcycle: 1983 honda goldwing gl11oo

neutral light on after engine swamp ??????????

Postby boblj » Sat Mar 14, 2015 3:56 pm

Have a 1983 1100 gl wing have one wire comeing out of neut switch the motor is out of a 82 my 83 hase 2 wires one for the switch one for 0verdrive my bike does not have over drive. The old motor had 2 wires from it but it also did not have overdrive or does it have a od light on it but befor the swamp it was fine? but my neutral light stays on now?Do i have to find a place to plug the old od wire to complet the circuit ? or maybe ground the od wire? any help would be great thanks. Surely some one has put a 82 motor in a 83? :oops:

RBGERSON
Motorcycle: 98 SE GL 1500
had every year from 75 to 83

Re: neutral light on after engine swamp ??????????

Postby RBGERSON » Sun Mar 15, 2015 7:31 am

OD wire nothing to do with the neutral switch. The switch could be bad..IE dirty and needs to cleaned. If it's on all the time and just gets brighter when the bike is in neutral that's the most likely problem. It's a PITA to get at but not hard to clean once it's out. Several How to's on various sites.
HAD LOTS OF GOLDWING 75-83
NOW INTO 1500'S..RIDING A 1998 SE

FAIR WINDS,
RB

boblj

Postby boblj » Tue Mar 17, 2015 4:26 pm

Thanks but odd thing ?The clutch switch was bad worked be for the swapp but some how stopped after ! Wow who would have thought?Now time to paint and try to find cheap paint to do it with? thanks again.Bobby

robertdawber
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100 Interstate

Postby robertdawber » Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:13 pm

The fact that the switch worked fine before the swap does not matter. WHen you installed the new engine it either came with the switch or you used your old one-if it came with the switch (it is behind the front engine cover) you have no idea if it was working properly unless you tested it before installing the engine. The "How to" article explains how to test it. If you replaced it with your old one you would still need to test it to make certain it is positioned correctly. Same "how to" article. Before you installed the new engine did you replace the water pump? I would do that and the timing belts belts if you intend to open it back up to fix the switch. The belts you can find local using a gates belt. People have posted the correct part number.
Good luck!!
Send pictures after you paint it. Are you going black?

boblj

Postby boblj » Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:58 am

Thanks but yes put new pump on it and new belts,cleaned the oil screen,and reset the vale lash, even freshen up the carbs, but the one thing that was diffrent was the neutral switch instead of in front of the cover it was in side the engine cases? thats when i found out i had a 1982 motor instead a 1983? but the motor only had 20 k on it and was in great shape,so now that all works i am very pleased with the old goldwing.
now getting a paint kit off e bay like 99.00 bucks , and not sure what color yet still looking? but black is one i like!

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”