Question on Cleaning & Tires

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
Motorcycle: 1981 Honda Goldwing Interstate GL1100I
1985 Honda Goldwing Limited Edition gl1200

Question on Cleaning & Tires

Postby sportsfreaked » Sat Mar 14, 2015 5:48 pm

First I am new as I recently purchased a 1981 Honda Goldwing Interstate. Now that the kids are gone (YAY) I can get back some stuff lol. I am having to do some work on it and let me say WOW! This site is amazing! I have been to many sites over the years for cars and this site Kicks A**. I still help out on a Camaro and a Dodge Intrepid site so once I get some knowledge of the bike I will help out here as well. Now to my question.

I am replacing the throttle cables (push & pull), and thanks to this site I am able to do that. When I have my seat off and can clean the bike? It is so dirty and dusty I really want to hose it off. I know I need to wait until I put the carbs back on but will it hurt anything to wash it?

I also have a question on the rear tire. Is the max size you can put on the bike is the 130/90-17 68H? Can a wider tire go on the rear? If so what size tire would fit? Is there a better brand or brands of tire to use?

Thanks for all the answers and all the knowledge on the site. It is truly amazing and so helpful to us newbies.

Thanks to all who answer and help. It is greatly appreciated!

Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100 I purchased 3/16

1983 GL1100I frame with an 80 engine. poor boy installed with C-5 ignition--DIED in Grande Prairie Alberta Canada 8/15

98 valkyrie sold 8/16

Re: Question on Cleaning & Tires

Postby Wilcoy02 » Sat Mar 14, 2015 6:57 pm

If you have the carbs off before you hose it off-plug up any holes to keep the water out of the engine. If you watch that point then wash away.

As to the max size tire- I just go with the size that the manual says to use.
If you ask which is the best tire--that is opening a big can of worms.
Just like oil- everyone has a different favorite.
As far as what I use. I like the metzlers marathon with dyna beads in them.

Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100A Aspencade

Postby Oldbear » Sun Mar 15, 2015 12:34 am

We ride in the rain. Feel free to wash the bike; as Wilco stated. Just let it dry before your go chasing electrical shorts... I used the foaming degreaser/dirt eater and heated pressure washer we use for cleaning gravel trucks at work. It let me see all the oil leaks. :shock:

I've changed tire width on my Suzuki to improve handling and looks, but the wing seems set up for the size it came with. I run Dunlop E3 Elites with Dynabeads... no matter what tire you pick - I'd recommend running balance beads; either Dynabeads or Counteract - I'm using both (in different vehicles.

Hope this helps.
My wife is the greatest - she won't let me sell my bike - I'm less grumpy when I ride...

Motorcycle: 2013 F6B

Postby CMReynolds1 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 1:29 pm

Washing the unit is not critical. I would recommend that you do not use any high pressure water. A hose with normal pressure is the max. The high pressure rinses force water into areas not intended for the high pressure and this causes electrical issues. I have seen motorcycle shops use air pressure to dry the bikes after they are washed. Don't know on that, as you still could get water into areas you don't want.

But normal house pressure and a hose works well. Hope that helps.
Ride Safe,

TF 116, RivRon 512, Can Tho, S. Vietnam, 8/66-/9/68, GM(G)2

Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:39 am

You can hose the bike off, but don't use a pressure washer on motorcycles - it can force water into places it was never meant to go, which can cause serious problems.

Also let it dry completely before starting - a leaf blower will help with this.

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”