Sorry - need instructions for 7v regulator installation

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
tonyincny
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100I Interstate

Sorry - need instructions for 7v regulator installation

Postby tonyincny » Sun Mar 15, 2015 1:26 pm

I bought the 7v regulator several years ago. I'm lucky I found it today so I could install it. What I couldn't find was the instruction sheet that came with it. Is there a pdf on this website where I could download that instruction sheet? I've looked all over but can't find a download.

tonyincny
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100I Interstate

Re: Sorry - need instructions for 7v regulator installation

Postby tonyincny » Mon Mar 16, 2015 3:56 pm

Never mind. I think I figured it out for myself. Although it would have been nice to have had some input, too.

The old +7V regulator on my '82 GL1100 Interstate had three wires coming out of it - Green (ground), Green w/Black stripe (+7V out) to meter and Black w/ Brown stripe which, I'm assuming, is the +12V input since that is the only option left.

The new +7V regulator wires would match up as follows - Green (Gnd) has a double connector attached and two other Green wires plug into it, the Black wire (+7V output) has a loop connector on the end and goes to the back of the meter panel, and the Red wire (+12V input) plugs into a double connector that has Black w/ Brown stripe wires connected to it.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Sorry - need instructions for 7v regulator installation

Postby WingAdmin » Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:46 am

tonyincny wrote:Never mind. I think I figured it out for myself. Although it would have been nice to have had some input, too.

The old +7V regulator on my '82 GL1100 Interstate had three wires coming out of it - Green (ground), Green w/Black stripe (+7V out) to meter and Black w/ Brown stripe which, I'm assuming, is the +12V input since that is the only option left.

The new +7V regulator wires would match up as follows - Green (Gnd) has a double connector attached and two other Green wires plug into it, the Black wire (+7V output) has a loop connector on the end and goes to the back of the meter panel, and the Red wire (+12V input) plugs into a double connector that has Black w/ Brown stripe wires connected to it.

That's correct. Sorry I didn't get to this message before, I'm a little behind on catching up with messages on the forum.

You really can't hook it up wrong on the 1100, the connectors only go on one way (and they match the connectors on the old, existing regulator).

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”