Timing Belt Change

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
FlashBack
Motorcycle: 1983 Honda GL1100 Interstate

Timing Belt Change

Postby FlashBack » Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:31 pm

So, i am getting ready to change out my timing belts next weekend on my 83. Picked belts up from NAPA Part 250274.
I have been educating myself for sometime about the process of belt replacement and have observed various methods people use but all stress one point. That the marks on the gears and cases need to line up. Also the crank marks. This ensures correct timing of the motor.

What I haven't read about is what if a mark is off a tooth or two. Do you just line up the marks as your replacing the belt? Also other possibilities to watch for. I just want to go at this with confidence. It appears easy but if you've never done it, looks intimidating.
I have had the bike two years now and feel like it's time. I've gotten to know the bike and feel comfortable working on it myself. I plan on changing the radiator hoses out while I'm there.

Anyways, any feedback is appreciated.

Wilcoy02
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100 I purchased 3/16

1983 GL1100I frame with an 80 engine. poor boy installed with C-5 ignition--DIED in Grande Prairie Alberta Canada 8/15

98 valkyrie sold 8/16

Re: Timing Belt Change

Postby Wilcoy02 » Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:40 pm

Here is a link that is very well done.

http://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewt ... =74&t=2101

You might have to register to the forum to see it.

If off by a tooth the engine will grumble a little and not like it.

ram11397
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100A Aspencade

Postby ram11397 » Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:14 pm

Is this link in the 1100 how to articles or can it be added
this seems a easy and safe way to do this especially for those of us who are not that mechanically minded.

Rick
Rick
1982 GL 1100 Aspencade

FlashBack

Postby FlashBack » Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:40 pm

Wilcoy02 wrote:Here is a link that is very well done.

http://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewt ... =74&t=2101

You might have to register to the forum to see it.

If off by a tooth the engine will grumble a little and not like it.

Thank you. I have seen that one and that is probably the method i will go with.
I do realize that the engine would grumble if off a tooth. I have no symptoms of that. I'm just looking at the "Possibilities" & "Remedies"

littlebeaver
Motorcycle: 1981 gl 1100 I , 79 Yamaha XS11
Special, 82 Kawa 750 CSR, 82 Kawa 750 LTD, 03 Kawa Nomad 1500, 99 Kawa Voyager 1200

Postby littlebeaver » Wed Mar 18, 2015 11:56 pm

If you use this method, make sure all the marks are on target and if they are not don't worry,, clamp them off anyway and remove the belts, the right side (sitting on the bike) is the spring loaded side while changing these...Once the belts are off and you have your new belts in the clamps waiting, hold that thought... If your off a tooth on the spring loaded side hold on to the pulley tightly and unclamp it then turn it and line it up on the arrow all proper and such and re clamp it's just that easy, place in new belts and you are good, the other side should go right on too because nothing moves over there...Keep in mind that if it's the spring loaded side that's off you can turn it still but its hard so grab that sucker on the opposite side of the arrow, I did this several times with no problems, it simplifies the whole process of putting you belts on, the next change will be simple...If you are on the arrows and the Mark at the crank lines up proper and up says up on the pulleys.. you are good to go...Try not to move the crank while removing the belts,, it's no big deal if it moves a hair just make sure its good when you place the belts on.. Man these are ALL supposed to be on there marks...My goodness..What kinda mechanics are doing these....??? :lol: :lol: I'm a caveman and I get it right..lol If you have any questions just ask...

FlashBack

Postby FlashBack » Sun Mar 22, 2015 12:53 pm

littlebeaver wrote:If you use this method, make sure all the marks are on target and if they are not don't worry,, clamp them off anyway and remove the belts, the right side (sitting on the bike) is the spring loaded side while changing these...Once the belts are off and you have your new belts in the clamps waiting, hold that thought... If your off a tooth on the spring loaded side hold on to the pulley tightly and unclamp it then turn it and line it up on the arrow all proper and such and re clamp it's just that easy, place in new belts and you are good, the other side should go right on too because nothing moves over there...Keep in mind that if it's the spring loaded side that's off you can turn it still but its hard so grab that sucker on the opposite side of the arrow, I did this several times with no problems, it simplifies the whole process of putting you belts on, the next change will be simple...If you are on the arrows and the Mark at the crank lines up proper and up says up on the pulleys.. you are good to go...Try not to move the crank while removing the belts,, it's no big deal if it moves a hair just make sure its good when you place the belts on.. Man these are ALL supposed to be on there marks...My goodness..What kinda mechanics are doing these....??? :lol: :lol: I'm a caveman and I get it right..lol If you have any questions just ask...

Thanks for the response. I am pretty mechanically inclined however, reading about changing out timing belts, caused me some hesitation about doing it myself.
Your post has helped me to realize that it is not as big of a deal to change them out as it was made out to be. Thank you
While i'm in there, going to change out radiator hoses, thermostat and springs for the timing belt tensioners, (ordered springs and o-ring for thermostat from Honda. $8.00). Also, valve adjustment and carb sync which i have done before on this bike.
Tackling this project next weekend. I will post my results.

littlebeaver
Motorcycle: 1981 gl 1100 I , 79 Yamaha XS11
Special, 82 Kawa 750 CSR, 82 Kawa 750 LTD, 03 Kawa Nomad 1500, 99 Kawa Voyager 1200

Postby littlebeaver » Sun Mar 22, 2015 6:35 pm

You are very welcome sir,,, I try to make life easy for myself and am just sharing my findings is all.. You read horror stories of bent valves ect.. .... Scary stuff...Freaked me out too a long time ago...

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”