Fuel Cap Replacement

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
FlashBack
Motorcycle: 1983 Honda GL1100 Interstate

Fuel Cap Replacement

Postby FlashBack » Mon Mar 23, 2015 2:30 pm

Good Day.
I was reading a post recently where someone stated they didn't think they're fuel cap was venting properly and indicated a swooshing sound when the cap is released which is a real good indicator of non-venting. This, i noticed, occurs on my bike, so i went outside and tested the theory and sure enough, when i twisted and lifted the Gas cap, i had a swoosh. I said to my self "Self, time for a new Gas Cap".
I phoned my local Honda shop to order one. I was told they are no longer manufactured and are unavailable.

Does anyone know where i can purchase a gas cap or is there a compatible part number for say Napa that i can get a cap through?

As always, thank you in advance

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Fuel Cap Replacement

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Mar 23, 2015 2:33 pm

Buy a can of Seafoam, pour it into a small plastic container (margarine tub will work), and throw the gas cap to soak in there overnight. Most times this will dissolve clogged vents in the cap.

That said, it *should* hold a little bit of pressure - so you should be noticing a small whoosh (not a huge amount) when you remove the cap if it has been run for a while, or sits when hot after a ride.

FlashBack

Postby FlashBack » Mon Mar 23, 2015 2:39 pm

WingAdmin wrote:Buy a can of Seafoam, pour it into a small plastic container (margarine tub will work), and throw the gas cap to soak in there overnight. Most times this will dissolve clogged vents in the cap.

That said, it *should* hold a little bit of pressure - so you should be noticing a small whoosh (not a huge amount) when you remove the cap if it has been run for a while, or sits when hot after a ride.

Thanks WingAdmin. I think i will give that a shot. Would like to just find a replacement cap but not looking like that's an option.
Thank you again

spiralout
Motorcycle: 1975 GL1000 (gone)
1980 GL1100I (with '77 1000 engine)
1996 GL1500 SE

Postby spiralout » Tue Mar 24, 2015 1:42 am

FlashBack wrote:Thanks WingAdmin. I think i will give that a shot. Would like to just find a replacement cap but not looking like that's an option.
Thank you again

Stant 10810

bobbybiscuit
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100A Aspencade

Postby bobbybiscuit » Tue Mar 24, 2015 5:59 pm

Thanks for info. Mine is ok apart from looking really firty and rusty so i ordered a Stant with free delivery to UK (from New Jersey) :)

spiralout
1996 GL1500 SE

Postby spiralout » Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:53 pm

bobbybiscuit wrote:Thanks for info. Mine is ok apart from looking really firty and rusty so i ordered a Stant with free delivery to UK (from New Jersey) :)

If I still had all my old before/after photos I'd post some pics, but soak that thing in household vinegar overnight and it'll look brand new in the morning.

FlashBack

Postby FlashBack » Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:46 am

spiralout wrote:
bobbybiscuit wrote:Thanks for info. Mine is ok apart from looking really firty and rusty so i ordered a Stant with free delivery to UK (from New Jersey) :)

If I still had all my old before/after photos I'd post some pics, but soak that thing in household vinegar overnight and it'll look brand new in the morning.

Ill give that a shot. Thank you. Do it improve your venting?

spiralout
1996 GL1500 SE

Postby spiralout » Wed Mar 25, 2015 1:19 pm

I used carb cleaner on it after taking out the gasket to clear the vent and after, used the vinegar to get rid of the rust.

sent from my HTC One (M7)

toanogreen
Motorcycle: 1999 GL1500 Goldwing SE
Previously Owned:
1989 GL1500 Goldwing

Postby toanogreen » Mon Jun 01, 2015 6:25 pm

[quote="FlashBack"]Good Day.
I was reading a post recently where someone stated they didn't think they're fuel cap was venting properly and indicated a swooshing sound when the cap is released which is a real good indicator of non-venting. This, i noticed, occurs on my bike, so i went outside and tested the theory and sure enough, when i twisted and lifted the Gas cap, i had a swoosh. I said to my self "Self, time for a new Gas Cap".

I just read this month's newsletter with the issue of gas cap clogging. Does this include the tanks with the gas caps with the hoses connected to them?

Pmccurry
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100 Interstate

Postby Pmccurry » Tue Jun 09, 2015 1:28 pm

I had the problem on a recent ride coming down a long grade in the Oregon Cascades. By the time I got to the bottom of the grade the engine was no longer getting any fuel. Loosening the cap removed the "vacuum lock" so I continued my ride home.

I am a curious sort, so I disassembled my cap and was surprised to see it contains about nine or so parts inside. I took pics and will post those in a new post in a couple days when I get caught up from a vacation. I see why the "Seafoam" solution and others have worked and so will you when you see the pics. Taking it apart and re assembling is pretty easy if you are patient. Not being a chemist, I don't know the long term impact various chemicals will have on the rubber valve and gaskets inside the cap. Obviously, the valve is exposed to gasoline vapors (as mine has for over 32 years) so the Seafoam shouldn't affect it. The valve is what lets the outside air into the tank while running but does not let the vapors escape into your garage. It gets stuck to the valve seat with a surprising amount of effort needed to loosen it. The Seafoam does that job nicely.

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”