Won't Start

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
TGStorm
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 Aspencade

Won't Start

Postby TGStorm » Sat Mar 28, 2015 2:40 pm

Well, Made the hard choice to sell due to loss of all time to run :(

The last time I was able to ride was Sept 2014. the battery was giving me issues and it got cold. Anyhow I had nearly all the fuel out and placed some Seafoam and let her set all winter. Two weeks ago I changed the Oil, added Fuel and little more seafoam, and put on a New battery. She started up and with a little bit of a fuss she finally came to life and purred .. I cont to start her about every other day and I got a hit on a guy who wanted to buy .. so on Thursday it was a Great day and I wanted to get a few last rides in. Work is about 8 min ride but I got stopped at a train crossing so add about 3 min, Just before I got to work (about a 2 min walk) at a light she began to spit and sputter, and I was able to milk it across the street then it died,, I could start no problem and it idled great but the moment I tried to give it gas it would die, over and over. Got a push to work and let it set for a while, I could still start it and the longer it sat the better I could rev it up but then fall back to the current state of only idling. I got a friend to tow home on his trailer and it sat for about 30 min at home when I choose to go look at work on it, WELL, it started up and didn't miss a lick, ran like a champ (go figure). This Morning (Saturday) I went out to check it over and run it for a while to see if maybe the carbs were clogged but now clear because I wanted to have a clear Conscience when the came Sunday to buy and pick it up.. Well It started fairly easy but the moment I started to drop the choke back to drop the RPM while it slowly warmed up it began to die,, then I could not even keep it running,, now it wont start at all, I have pulled the fuel line off the pump to carb side and Fuel is flowing great, I pulled a plug out and it is getting spark..

Here after that long story is my Question... If the the Ign Mode was bad would the Plugs still spark? and if the plug coils are going bad is there a thread on how to change them?

Thanks in advance

HawkeyeGL1200
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Interstate
1981 GL1100 Interstate

Re: Won't Start

Postby HawkeyeGL1200 » Sat Mar 28, 2015 4:21 pm

It sounds like a fuel problem. I'd check or change the filter, then pull the outlet side hose off the pump, install a temporary hose long enough to reach a coffee can or some other container, and watch how much fuel comes out of the pump discharge while you crank the engine over (you can place the kill switch to "off" while doing the test). The only other thing that comes to mind is, make sure your pet-cock is switched to the proper position... you can try running it on "reserve" to see if that helps... you may have some trash in the tank mucking things up.
I am wrong as often as I am right concerning what is wrong with someone else' motorcycle without having seen the machine in person. Guessing with limited information, as to the source of the trouble, is sketchy at best.

TGStorm

Postby TGStorm » Sun Mar 29, 2015 8:21 am

HawkeyeGL1200 wrote:It sounds like a fuel problem. I'd check or change the filter, then pull the outlet side hose off the pump, install a temporary hose long enough to reach a coffee can or some other container, and watch how much fuel comes out of the pump discharge while you crank the engine over (you can place the kill switch to "off" while doing the test). The only other thing that comes to mind is, make sure your pet-cock is switched to the proper position... you can try running it on "reserve" to see if that helps... you may have some trash in the tank mucking things up.

I already took the fuel line off from the Pump To Carb side, With the Fuel switch ON , and engine Off it flowed Fuel at a good stream well great stream. With Fuel switch OFF nothing till I cranked by bumping the starter a few times, so I know fuel is getting to the carbs but not sure if they are clogged jets..

Also I was still wondering about the Plugs ??? Like I said I took two out and plugged them back into the wires, set them so they were touching the engine block and cranked a few times,, I could see spark so does that mean my idle module is good or could that MOD still be bad?

RBGERSON
Motorcycle: 98 SE GL 1500
had every year from 75 to 83

Postby RBGERSON » Sun Mar 29, 2015 8:30 am

If you have a nice fat spark your electric stuff is probably OK, check the both plugs on one side that covers the cdi units, ignition , and coils. Sounds like crap in the carbs to me. floated around lodging dislodging etc. I'd' pull them clean the jets, check the floats, new gas filter and try again.
HAD LOTS OF GOLDWING 75-83
NOW INTO 1500'S..RIDING A 1998 SE

FAIR WINDS,
RB

HawkeyeGL1200
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Interstate
1981 GL1100 Interstate

Postby HawkeyeGL1200 » Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:09 am

When you pulled the plugs, did they smell of fuel?

One quick check that I have always done when working the bugs out of a new (older) motorcycle is check the resistors inside the plug boots to ensure that good contact is made between the plug and the conductor in the wire(s). There's a screw inside the boot, if they're factory boots, that hold a resistor in the end of the plug wire. You can pull them out and make sure they're (there lol) clean and making good contact with the terminal end of the plug wire (clip) that makes up to the plug.

I don't recall if your plugs were new. Are they "stock" plugs for your year model? NGK-DPR8EA-9 is what I'm showing in my notes for a GL1200. Improper plugs could contribute to trouble. If the plugs are correct, there's no reason you can't re-gap them and try again...

Another thing I always do is pull the battery, put it on a charger and clean every electrical connection I can access, both positive and negative to ensure there's good contact at the solenoid, starter, battery etc... Also check your main fuse to ensure it is making good contact. I'd also recommend checking air filter. Keep plugging away and you'll figure it out. There's a screw on each carb bowl for draining... you can pull one and see what comes out too... there may be water in them...
I am wrong as often as I am right concerning what is wrong with someone else' motorcycle without having seen the machine in person. Guessing with limited information, as to the source of the trouble, is sketchy at best.

TGStorm

Postby TGStorm » Sun Mar 29, 2015 5:28 pm

They Smell of some gas and exhaust .. here is my next step.

I checked all the connections and took the Air filter off, while looking at the intake I tried to start but again nothing. Then I had a thought, I sprayed some starter fluid in and hit the starter switch. It turned over for a few seconds and died, sprayed a good bit more in and it ran a good bit longer. SO I am pretty sure its clogged carbs.

Looking this over I now wonder, could someone tell me please that there is a way of cleaning or assisting the purging WITHOUT removing all 4 carbs????? I have pulled, cleaned, and installed carb kits on diff bikes but looking at the WING, I feel this is a task I don't wish to tackle if there is a way around it.. please please please tell me you know of a way.

Thanks

Added Thought.
What if I removed the fuel line from the Pump that leads to the carbs and I use a compressor, with low pressure and force some fuel and air, would it help or hurt it??? Meaning would it assist on pushing the fuel and some cleaner thru the jets to clear them?

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”